West JNC Update

electricjet98

Senior
Mar 23, 2006
Arizona
America West MEC

Negotiating Committee Update

August 9, 2007

Last week, members of the America West Negotiating Committee along with our East counterparts and professional staff met with the Company’s negotiators in Washington, D.C. On Tuesday, management presented us with Section 7 (Vacations) and Section 14 (Sick Leave). While most of Section 7 had already been agreed upon, this proposal introduced in writing a new concept for vacation bidding that allows pilots to designate, in a PBS environment, how much credit they want associated with a vacation block. A pilot who is more concerned about days off can accept less credit each day and take more days of vacation (up to 38 days per year). Conversely, a pilot who is more concerned about pay can take more credit each day and less days of vacation. This choice is entirely left to each individual pilot. On Wednesday, we provided management with a counter proposal to Section 7, which accepted most of their procedural language changes and really focused on the economics—the monthly accrual rate for vacation credit. We hope our counter proposal will result in a final TA on Section 7. Still open, however, is a process to phase in the East vacation schedule. Management proposed an implementation Letter of Agreement (LOA) last week that addressed this subject, which is currently under consideration by the East leadership.

Management’s sick leave proposal presented us with an interesting concept whereby pilots could deposit unused sick leave credit into their individual retirement accounts. Clearly, management spent a lot of time developing this system and we appreciate their efforts. We will need to continue discussing various issues with management including the size of the sick bank, accrual rate, and procedures for obtaining notes from health care professionals. We plan to have a counter back to the company at our next session.

On Wednesday, we presented management with counterproposals on Sections 27 and 28. While most of the issues dealing with Dental, Vision, Life, and AD&D are resolved, we still have work to do on retirement and medical insurance. Clearly, these are economic issues that likely will not be fully resolved until the end game.

Also on Wednesday, we entered into a philosophical discussion between the two sets of JNC representatives and management regarding the process for moving this negotiation to completion. Management indicated that this process was not advancing us toward a conclusion and suggested that we jointly apply for mediation as provided for under the Transition Agreement (although the TA does not require a joint request for mediation). We indicated our interest in proceeding to mediation while Captain Stephan spoke on behalf of the East MEC and indicated that his MEC was not interested in anything that would advance the implementation of the Nicolau Award. Management also indicated that the East MEC’s notion that separate and permanent contracts for the two pilot groups, as expressed in a recent East MEC Resolution, was not what management had in mind when they discussed a temporary period of separate operations. In fact, management claimed that the East resolution was in violation of the Transition Agreement.

On Thursday, both JNCs met separately with members of the Rice Committee. While this was only the second meeting with this Committee, at least from the West perspective, we felt that our concerns were heard.

Our schedule for the next few weeks is that the JNC will meet in PHX this week to put together our counters on Sections 5 (Per Diem and Expenses), 14 (Sick), and 26 (General). On August 13, the East JNC will meet separately with the Rice Committee, and on the 14th, we will meet with the Rice Committee. The entire JNC will meet with management August 15-17 and we expect to receive the Company’s counters on Sections 4 (Pay Guarantees), 12 (Hours of Service), and 25 (Scheduling) during that meeting. The entire JNC will meet again with the Rice Committee the week of August 20.

ELECTRICJET98'S COMMENTS: (he-he, I can sound as pompous as him :up: ) It's a shame that Jack can't as least go along with the mediator idea. I mean, if the final decision is to have a common contract but separate ops, Jack's decision just delays the $ for everyone.

Management also indicated that the East MEC’s notion that separate and permanent contracts for the two pilot groups, as expressed in a recent East MEC Resolution, was not what management had in mind when they discussed a temporary period of separate operations. In fact, management claimed that the East resolution was in violation of the Transition Agreement.

Although I like this part the best, the interesting thing about mediation is that the east won't go... to MEDIATION? Its not like it's BINDING ARBITRATION or anything. Maybe you guys could mediate fences and in the mean time, we could get things fixed around here, like equal pay for equal work, full pay for deadheads, raises, better trip/duty rigs, better retirement packages, better....

Forget it, you guys are only worried about one thing.

But the company sees that all is in vane because of the list. They're thinking better to start now than get to an acceptable contract proposal only to have it stalled and hurt the biz because of controversy over the list.

The list issue isn't the issue.

What they are doing is stalling.

Pure & Simple.
The list is a HUGE issue to Management, but I agree with the stalling.

Meanwhile the WEST makes more $$$, have more vacation, more sick acrual, deadhead pay, waaay better reserve system, better scheduling policies, and the list goes on. Far from a GREAT contract, but BETTER than what the Easties have now.

That amounts to $20-30k for FO's and $25-45k for Cpt's per year.

Maybe it's time for the EAST to reconsider their strategy, re-evaluate their options, and communicate them to Captain Jack (not Sparrow).

GL

BTW From a 10 year CPT that should make $145k this year.

The list is a HUGE issue to Management, but I agree with the stalling.

Meanwhile the WEST makes more $$$, have more vacation, more sick acrual, deadhead pay, waaay better reserve system, better scheduling policies, and the list goes on. Far from a GREAT contract, but BETTER than what the Easties have now.

That amounts to $20-30k for FO's and $25-45k for Cpt's per year.

Maybe it's time for the EAST to reconsider their strategy, re-evaluate their options, and communicate them to Captain Jack (not Sparrow).

GL

BTW From a 10 year CPT that should make $145k this year.

What! You didn't hear? The easties would rather live in airline he!! than accept the Nic award and finish out their careers with a decent pay scale and quality of life... They tell me it's the "principle" of the matter. I still have yet to hear where their "principle" was when they wanted to effectively staple the AWA pilots. To each his own I guess.

What! You didn't hear? The easties would rather live in airline he!! than accept the Nic award and finish out their careers with a decent pay scale and quality of life... They tell me it's the "principle" of the matter. I still have yet to hear where their "principle" was when they wanted to effectively staple the AWA pilots. To each his own I guess.

The problem is the 20 year east FO that will now spend the next ten years pulling gear for someone fifteen years his junior. He will never get to the left seat.

Principle has nothing to do with it.

and, you are wrong. Nobody ever wanted to "staple" anyone. Your MEC is lying again.

The problem is the 20 year east FO that will now spend the next ten years pulling gear for someone fifteen years his junior. He will never get to the left seat.

Principle has nothing to do with it.

and, you are wrong. Nobody ever wanted to "staple" anyone. Your MEC is lying again.
Your MC position of DOH since day one of the 18 months of negotiations would have staple over 85% of AWA pilots. St. Nic and Dougwiser BOTH said that DOH would not float! Period.

Now, because YOUR MEC instructed YOUR MC of DOH or nothing, your expectations were managed and you are not happy. Have YOU read some of the transcripts?

Nic and 2 pilot neutrals came up w/ the award... Not the AWA pilots.

The day that you UNDERSTAND that, will be the day that we can all move on and GET what WE deserve. Meanwhile enjoy you "B Scale" and contract. It's your call. And I am being honest and respectful with my comments.

GL

Your MC position of DOH since day one of the 18 months of negotiations would have staple over 85% of AWA pilots. St. Nic and Dougwiser BOTH said that DOH would not float! Period.

Please, read the paperwork. The East position was DOH with conditions and restrictions. Not one person wanted any west pilot to lose their position. Perhaps you have been lied to by your MEC.

Now, because YOUR MEC instructed YOUR MC of DOH or nothing, your expectations were managed and you are not happy. Have YOU read some of the transcripts?

As I said, that is untrue. Not one pilot from the east wanted something without protections for you, much less stapling. Not one east pilot wanted someone from the failing carrier HP to lose their expectations. You are so wrong.

Nic and 2 pilot neutrals came up w/ the award... Not the AWA pilots.

Actually, one "neutral" objected to the award.

The day that you UNDERSTAND that, will be the day that we can all move on and GET what WE deserve. Meanwhile enjoy you "B Scale" and contract. It's your call. And I am being honest and respectful with my comments.

GL

I have a hard time understanding lies and dishonesty, as respectful as you pretend to be. I will not "enjoy" my B-scale contract but will blame people like you for foisting such a charade on innocent participants. Should the carrier die, I do not have to morn for myself, but enjoy the opportunity for people like you to actually find out how good you really are, at finding another job. i am certain you will go far.

Actually, one "neutral" objected to the award.
No he didn't. He didn't agree to a very small part of the award involving the furloughed pilots, but, as he stated, he agreed with a majority of the award.

Looks like your the one being lied to.

Shake it off. I'm fun to fly with so long as you do what I tell you.

The list really isn't a big issue for the company but they do need one if and when a joint contract is agreed upon.

Don't get side tracked over it.

You get what you negotiate. !!!! Quote..Doug Parker.

Negotiate a damn good joint contract and take it from there. The company is dragging thier feet as usual and you guys as usual are falling for it.

Great god have mercy!!! Put some women on the JNC. They don't play!!!**

Latest posts