What is a D6LJ code for boarding status?

Not entirely correct if I recall...

D6 = freeloading pilot who is lucky enough to have a recipricol agreement between his airline and AA.

Limited/unlimited indicates if the agreement allows limited or unlimited seats.

L = Limited; the total number of D6L's accommodated on a given flight can't exceed physical jumpseats on the aircraft. If there is one guy from NK and one guy from FDX, they have to duke it out for the one seat available on an MD80 (even if there are two or more empty seats in the Y cabin).

U = Unlimited, which means that a flight out of JFK can carry as many Jetbloo pilots as there are empty seats, even though there's only one physical jumpseat on the aircraft.

J = That's new since I left, and may be an indicator which indicates that the D6 is from a CASS participating carrier, and therefore allowed to ride in the cockpit if there's no cabin seat available.

My guess is that the lack of a J would mean they're not in the CASS system, which then means they can only ride in an empty cabin seat, even if they checked in before a CASS participant.

------------------------------------------------------
If the person accommodated out of FLL was a D6LJ, it's possible they actually got the jumpseat. Someone with Sabre access can check the G*L0000/PALL and see if they have seat 1W or 2W; that's a dead giveaway that they really did ride in the cockpit, and that your D3 really didn't get screwed.
The only other reasonable explanation for bypassing someone on the list is dress code, but I'm sure you told your D3 to dress for F just in case...
[/quote

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer. He/she in this case was in the 1w which I now understand means cockpit. Not so out of STL. I usually don't let anyone use D3s because of the loads. This was so that my friend could attend a wedding. Couldn't get out of STX, flew to SJU, got bumped off one SJU-MIA, got on the next, spent the night in FLL, and finally got out late this am to DFW and then to STL. Ah, the glamour! (and my friend is still my friend and was still speaking to me this afternoon when he FINALLY arrived safe and sound back in STL. I had looked up almost every flt out of SJU and MIA, all red. If the fares were "decent" AA should be making tons of money.

You might be offended by the term freeloader, what else would you like it to be called when you're riding in a cabin seat for free when other employees are being forced to pay their way??

Perhaps you need to take a step back and appreciate where the animosity for the program comes from.

When the D6 program first rolled out, I was working at JFK, and it wasn't at all uncommon to see commuting pilots for PA, TW, etc. sitting in the F cabin on a JFK-LAX or JFK-SFO flight when we closed the door.

At the same time, AA commuters were paying for their Y seat, as were OAL commuters who had to buy ID90 or ID75's.

I understand the courtesy of offering jumpseats or a seat in the main cabin, but consider this: the 25 year employee actually earned the right to sit in the seat that the OA pilot was sitting in for free. Likewise for the person who paid for an ID75, or perhaps a top tier customer who paid for a full fare ticket.

We gave out a lot of comp upgrades in those days, and I knew more than a few agents who would fill up the F cabin just to make sure that jumpseaters would be sitting in the main cabin.....

As a customer, if I paid for an upgrade, and were seated next to a jumpseater from another airline, I'd be pissed. And I'd be asking for a refund on my upgrade, since if it's available for free to a pilot from Brand X, I shouldn't have to pay for it as a platinum or gold.

Hence,

AA's rep amongst employess in the rest of the industry...

Hey, it works both ways. Other airlines would let non-pilots ride in cockpit and cabin jumpseats. Perhaps that is why the animosity isn't there as much. I know that twice I was offered cabin jumpseats and once a cockpit jumpseat when traveling on BA in Europe.

Before 9/11, company policy dictated who is and isn't permitted to ride. But AA's pilots wanted nothing to do with it. There's no logical reason I can think of that AA couldn't change their policy today.

I remember riding the jumpseat on a QF flt from HNL-SYD, when we boarded I showed the Steward my ID and asked if my son and I could take a quick look at the Flight Deck, the steward said that they were quite busy right now with departure and all, but after we were airborne we could come up and have a look.
I said to my son sorry, but he's full of it, we won't be going up till after we land, well about an hour after we took off the steward came back to the cheap seats and found us, said the Capt says you can come up now. We went on up and had the best visit with those guys, we were talking about flying warbirds and such and I said well we'd better be getting back, the Capt says oh no you mates are welcome to stay, and stay we did all the way to SYD. Of course this was before 9/11, but I still think if you have the right credentials /OAL I/D/, someone other than a pilot might be able to get a ride in the cockpit., guess its still really up to the Capt.

I remember riding the jumpseat on a QF flt from HNL-SYD, when we boarded I showed the Steward my ID and asked if my son and I could take a quick look at the Flight Deck, the steward said that they were quite busy right now with departure and all, but after we were airborne we could come up and have a look.
I said to my son sorry, but he's full of it, we won't be going up till after we land, well about an hour after we took off the steward came back to the cheap seats and found us, said the Capt says you can come up now. We went on up and had the best visit with those guys, we were talking about flying warbirds and such and I said well we'd better be getting back, the Capt says oh no you mates are welcome to stay, and stay we did all the way to SYD. Of course this was before 9/11, but I still think if you have the right credentials /OAL I/D/, someone other than a pilot might be able to get a ride in the cockpit., guess its still really up to the Capt.

One thing to note...

YOur story and eolsen's comment re BA...

Both non-US carriers...

The FAA was the difference, everybody knew foreign carriers allowed this sort of thing...

One thing to note...

YOur story and eolsen's comment re BA...

Both non-US carriers...

The FAA was the difference, everybody knew foreign carriers allowed this sort of thing...

OK, but as an employee at PE back in the 80's, we were also allowed to ride jumpseats, subject to Captain's authority. The difference (again) was that PEX's op-spec (approved by the FAA) allowed it.

Reading the FAR's just now, the language appears to be far more restrictive than what it was prior to 2002.

It's all a moot point. There are always going to be a subset of people who resent the fact that jumpseat policies only benefit the few, and there are going to be apologists/supporters for why the policies exist.

In a somewhat perverse way, it's similar to the resentment that you and others feel about perks which only benefit people in upper management, i.e. reserved space personal travel, stock options, etc.

Flight attendants from other airlines--SW, Frontier, DL--are NOT allowed to actually sit on the jumpseat. We call it a jumpseat agreement, but it means "people who are cabin jumpseat qualified at their airline."

The only way they can get on the a/c is if there is a cabin seat available. It's one of the reasons that Frontier f/as wanted the agreement cancelled. We can ride the jumpseat on Frontier if that's all that's available. They can not ride the jumpseat on AA. Our flights to DEN are always full; so the jumpseat agreement is not of much value to Frontier f/as trying to commute.

It's only been in the last year or two that AE flight attendants were allowed to ride the jumpseat on AA.

The agreement between AA and F9 calls for an open passenger seat. It did not call for jumpseat privledges. Now if F9 is putting us on the jumpseat, then they are doing so out of the goodness of their heart because that is not what the two airlines agreed to do. It is a shame they want the whole agreement cancelled because AA was only following what was agreed upon.

Back