Why should retired employees board prior to active employees

airportman, I know it sucks but that's aviation man. We all signed up knowing it could be a nomadic exsistance. However, your story should serve as a cautionary tale that you never, ever, buy a home in or near an airline ghetto. I knew this and refused to live around Moon Twp and the airport. Furthermore, when I am away from work the last thing I need is talk about a stupid airline (yet here I am). Be it CLT, PHX, etc, if there are more than five US people owning houses in the hood...look elsewhere. This is not being anti-social it's about protecting one of your biggest investments -- your home. Good luck and it will work out with time.

Gee, its nice reading what a bunch of whiney snot-nosed Gen-X'ers think of a group that paid their dues and earned (yes earned) the priviledge to fly on a pass. Most of these people were the ones that made aviation a good job; can't say the present group has done that. Hey, you too can put a couple of decades in and have your chance. Still, you guys don't get it and will surely whine when it's your retirement time about "what you don't get." Grow up! Get over yourselves!
Amen eye :up:

Unfortunately, most of the post on this topic, voice the feelings of most Americans today. Generations past have always respected their previous generations. They respected the time they put into their profession, for working to maintain and improve working conditions, for striving to make things better/easier for the next generation.

The majority of todays generation seems to respect little or nothing. Not their leaders, not their elders, not their co-workers, often not even themselves. I will be the first to say...respect must be earned, it is not just given...but if it has been earned, it should be given. Face facts, that is the kind of world we live in today. I fear it is only going to continue to go down-hill. It's only and all about ME.

After 38+ years, I retired. I have returned to the airport 3 times since retirement. One time to turn in my badge and keys. One time to talk to the outsource company that was offering me a job (turned them down cold). One time to rent a car. I havent' flown since March 2004....don't plan to in the near future. Don't worry about me bumping you.

Now, I'll put in my 2 cents worth on the issue....Honor my time I put in....I'll honor yours. If you are retired or still working and have completed more than 38 1/2 years....please sir or madam, board before me! As a station manager back in 1967 told me when I complained about having the worst schedule/days off/etc, (I began in '66), "Those who have put in the most time deserve the best they can get...they are the ones who have helped make this company what it is today. I can't offer them much. The perks for their giving years of service are few. Maybe, if you have what it takes and you hang in there, you will be able to get these few benefits one day."

You know, if the decision is made to take this away too, I'll live with it. I've had so much taken away, this is just a minor thing. Glad I'm not an active part of yall anymore.

no special boarding for commuters... that is their choice...........

and as far as retired employee's... they have the whole rest of their life off... active employee's only have the days off that they can hold, bid, or trade away...... sorry, but retired employee's NEED to stay a priority below active... come on now.... think about it.. it isn't old against young....

my vote is for DOH......no special priority for commuters or retired!

just one priority ...DOH......whether your a commuter or retired!

life is too short as it is....especially for the retired .

DOH .... you earned it .....enjoy it!

Unfortunately, most of the post on this topic, voice the feelings of most Americans today. Generations past have always respected their previous generations. They respected the time they put into their profession, for working to maintain and improve working conditions, for striving to make things better/easier for the next generation.

The majority of todays generation seems to respect little or nothing. Not their leaders, not their elders, not their co-workers, often not even themselves. I will be the first to say...respect must be earned, it is not just given...but if it has been earned, it should be given. Face facts, that is the kind of world we live in today. I fear it is only going to continue to go down-hill. It's only and all about ME.

My respect for the previous generation in this business died when they negotiated a B Scale for me and a 3% payraise for themselves.

Hey, why not just go to first-come-first-boarded, and board actives and retirees on the same playing field? As much as I wouldn't mind having a seniority based system, this is exactly how AA has done it since time began, and it gets rid of all the bickering like this...

After 38+ years, I retired. I have returned to the airport 3 times since retirement. One time to turn in my badge and keys. One time to talk to the outsource company that was offering me a job (turned them down cold). One time to rent a car. I havent' flown since March 2004....don't plan to in the near future. Don't worry about me bumping you.

Now, I'll put in my 2 cents worth on the issue....Honor my time I put in....I'll honor yours. If you are retired or still working and have completed more than 38 1/2 years....please sir or madam, board before me! As a station manager back in 1967 told me when I complained about having the worst schedule/days off/etc, (I began in '66), "Those who have put in the most time deserve the best they can get...they are the ones who have helped make this company what it is today. I can't offer them much. The perks for their giving years of service are few. Maybe, if you have what it takes and you hang in there, you will be able to get these few benefits one day."

You know, if the decision is made to take this away too, I'll live with it. I've had so much taken away, this is just a minor thing. Glad I'm not an active part of yall anymore.
Amen...we all started at the bottom and understood what we were getting in to. It's just sad that not just newbies, but some senior agents have a sense of entitlement. I would like the time spent with the company to be acknowledged but in reality I know that it only mattered to me.

They shouldn't board before active.
The very fact that they are retired means they have the time to wait if need be!

Oh, we have no life is that what you mean? LOL! MOST retirees arent 80 year olds my friend. Just because we retired from US Airways, doesnt mean we dont have other jobs. We get no medical, a lousy pittance of a pension and worked for 33 years on holidays, weekends etc. You dont think we deserve SOMETHING for that? When you have done your time, and yes, as someone said, been bumped countless times, I think you will change your opinion. ;)

I don't know how it's determined at US but at UAL, a retiree with 25 years of service would board prior to an active employee with 35 years!!! Now THAT is a stinker.

HOw does THAT work? That DOES stink! :down:

That how "first come, first served" works.

I've given it a lot of thought and have decided that DOH is the most fair. It can't be manipulated by a "friendly" agent or a computer "glitch."

Dea

Commuting is a nice option if you have to relocate.

Keep the kids in the same school, spouse doesn’t have to change jobs, live nearby elderly or sick parents, etc.

Or maybe you just want a palm tree in your backyard.

It’s still just a nice perk exclusive to this business. Name me another industry where you have this option if your job moves. Some OTR trucking companies let you take your rig home is all that comes to mind.

Keep DOH for everything.

Or get your CDL.

Gee, its nice reading what a bunch of whiney snot-nosed Gen-X'ers think of a group that paid their dues and earned (yes earned) the priviledge to fly on a pass. Most of these people were the ones that made aviation a good job; can't say the present group has done that. Hey, you too can put a couple of decades in and have your chance. Still, you guys don't get it and will surely whine when it's your retirement time about "what you don't get." Grow up! Get over yourselves!
they didn't do anything more than todays group.

they didn't do anything more than todays group.

I beg to differ. Even with the concessioins, we are much better off today than we would have been had it not been for previous generations who fought for what we now take for granted. I applaud the pioneers of the industry, and the individuals and groups that fought for what we now have.

Hey, why not just go to first-come-first-boarded, and board actives and retirees on the same playing field? As much as I wouldn't mind having a seniority based system, this is exactly how AA has done it since time began, and it gets rid of all the bickering like this...
Why not go to D.O.H. and it gets rid of all the bickering like this...

Latest posts