Why should retired employees board prior to active employees

bulldog

Jul 6, 2005
Much has been said about senority vs check in and we all have opinions as to our personal views. However my issue is that a retired 25 yr employee /family has the status to board prior to an active employee. This would be a double slap in the face to the WEST folks if the senority system is adopted as policy. Currently at WEST retirees have a lower priority than active employees.
Travel is a perk of the business, and retirees should have flight benifits, but not over active employees.

:ph34r:

Much has been said about senority vs check in and we all have opinions as to our personal views. However my issue is that a retired 25 yr employee /family has the status to board prior to an active employee. This would be a double slap in the face to the WEST folks if the senority system is adopted as policy. Currently at WEST retirees have a lower priority than active employees.
Travel is a perk of the business, and retirees should have flight benifits, but not over active employees.

Why? Don't you think an individual who has given twenty-five years or more of his life to an airline deserves a little respect? I think one of the ways that can be shown is by having boarding priority over a six month new hire.
BTW, how much seniority do you have?

It is a priviledge one earns for many years of service! Consider it to be a reward for a Job Well Done!

2B

It is always difficult to see a retired person going to PHX, PHL, LAS, LGA etc. just for a vacation when you are vying for what few seats are left to commute to work.

Why is it that some people don't want the retirees to have anything. Is there no reward ford for working hard all those years? Retirees can't vote on contracts or strike. They are left with whatever scraps the current employees vote in (or out) and discretion of mangement. Did you ever think that the retirees are the ones who may have kept this company afloat so that others may enjoy their benefits?

I don't know how it's determined at US but at UAL, a retiree with 25 years of service would board prior to an active employee with 35 years!!! Now THAT is a stinker.

Why? Don't you think an individual who has given twenty-five years or more of his life to an airline deserves a little respect? I think one of the ways that can be shown is by having boarding priority over a six month new hire.
BTW, how much seniority do you have?
Funny!
Everyone is for seniority, except for retirees who did the job for years and helped ensure that there jobs for now.

I board below active employees, that's life.

They shouldn't board before active.
The very fact that they are retired means they have the time to wait if need be!

The very fact that they are retired means they have the time to wait if need be!
First: Many retirees need to return to workforce since their pensions are non-existence or too small.

Second:Many retirees are up in years and therefore do not have much time left.

Third:How do you think we should treat retirees since they seem to be an annoyance to some people?

Fourth:How do you want to be treated when you retire?

Hey you guys! I have a great idea. Since retired people have already served their usefulness to the company and are just creating a drain on the corporate coffers by getting any kind of medical or pensions, plus creating a further drain on the country what with Medicare and all, why not just buy them a one-way ticket to an ice floe off Antartica?

Of course, that might contribute further to global warming but President Bush seems to think global warming is not really happening, so what could it hurt?

OK, sarcasm off. We have to quit thinking we only exist in the here and now. One can tell a lot about a culture by the way it treats its elders and its infirm.

Come on, show some compassion. You will some day retire too. Chances are good you'll barely have enough to live on day to day. Many of our people currently employed are barely scraping by. In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter all that much if some old hag or codger can enjoy one of the perks we expected to have?

This selfish Gimme Mine mind set has got to end.

Dea the Crone

You feel retired employees should not board before active employees and I probably would argue that if I did not have seniority. Thinking along those same lines, why should an active younger employee be allowed to get insurance through the company at a much cheaper rate and retired employees aren't offered anything??????

Gee, those retired people are such a nuisance, let's just get in touch with Tony Soprano and off them, they're only in the way, after all! :blink:

Seriously, they were once in your shoes being bumped and prevented from boarding in deference to those that came before them. It is an earned benefit and privelege.

Perhaps planning ahead and choosing to do a night-before commute into the base would be a better fit, or moving to the base so you wouldn't have to see all those pesky retirees at all.

:D Those old people, man they just get in the way. :lol:

Latest posts