What is going on with AA MD-80 Fuel Tank Covers?

TWU informer

Veteran
Nov 4, 2003
Rumor has it that AA has experienced some Fuel Issues as a result of some Tulsa "manufactured" Fuel Tank Covers.

I was told 34 Aircraft are out of service and the FAA is on the hunt for who screwed these covers up.

Something about the primer paint coming off and having negative effects on fuel systems.

FAA had several private plane loads of investigators land in T-Town today.

I was also told two engines experienced flame-out on take-off as a result of this problem.

Surely the Dennis and Carmine show to save money has not bit someone in the ass?

Anyone out there know more detail?

Mr "Our Pay" says that just as in the past, we are in this cyclical pattern. We will cut maintenance personel and maintenance on our aircraft until our insurance company and/or the FAA says it is not acceptable. Or untill we encounter our first large smoking hole in the ground................which ever comes first!! And untill then we will continue to rape our employees and give ourselves millions and millions in bone us checks and stock options.............pull togather so we up here can win togather!!!

Rumor has it that AA has experienced some Fuel Issues as a result of some Tulsa "manufactured" Fuel Tank Covers.

I was told 34 Aircraft are out of service and the FAA is on the hunt for who screwed these covers up.

Something about the primer paint coming off and having negative effects on fuel systems.

I was also told two engines experienced flame-out on take-off as a result of this problem.

Surely the Dennis and Carmine show to save money has not bit someone in the ass?

We had a MD80 come through our station last Saturday. I think it was 557. Had 2 histories of fuel clog light on the left engine. Put on TFI. Pilot got clog light at rotation and continued after light went out. Refused acft at our station. The fuel filter was changed. The filter had quite a bit of yellow paint flakes between the folds. Filter was sent to TUL.

Key word......RUMOR!!! You're a welder...so that's exactly what you are operating on, rumor. Has nothing to do with cost cutting. You even have your numbers wrong Dave. Self disclosure to FAA that they were completely satisfied with.

You are the biggest SH*T stirrer I have ever had the MISfortune to come across. Is that a personality flaw, I guess??

Have you EVER had all your "ducks" in a row???????

<_< ----The MD80 wing tank covers, or access plates, are cast / machined to fit. So I don't think TUL was manufacturing them. I don't remember if they were premiered on their interior surface. From what I remember, I don't think they are! Could someone have thought they should be? I hope not!--- ;)

I looked it up in DECS this morning and it showed about 10 MD-80s OTS due to "Fuel Tank Debris". The DECS code is RGO*ALL, that will show all OTS A/C thru out the system for those who are a little doubtful about it being true..

Got to work today and checked the RGO. As of 1430, 21 MD80's out of service for L/R fuel tank debris or fuel filter inspect.

<_< ----The MD80 wing tank covers, or access plates, are cast / machined to fit. So I don't think TUL was manufacturing them. I don't remember if they were premiered on their interior surface. From what I remember, I don't think they are! Could someone have thought they should be? I hope not!--- ;)
I have heard 2 stories on the suspect covers: One being they came from an outside company, and two that they decided to bring them in-house because Tulsa can do them cheaper. Either way, it's costing them alot of revenue. So much for the cost-savings goal, I would guess that if it is a Tulsa screw-up, the lost revenue counts against the $500 million goal. :p

Fact: Fuel Tank Covers in question were manufactured in Tulsa.

Fact: A/C are out of service due to this problem.

Fact: 2 Supervisors removed the bead blast line from the work card to save time to supply "pulse line" with covers.

Fact: Removal of bead blast line caused primer to fail adhesion to aluminum surface.

Fact: Field Trips have been dispatched to accomplish fuel pressure checks on suspect MD-80s

Fact: Bill doesn't know who I am, nor does he have a clue what is going on around him. He simply listens and trust his management friends. He is one of the biggest suck asses to walk the planet. He will defend the undefendable and accept the unacceptable without a fight.

Well, well ,well. So what part of Informer's story was true????? Oh yeah, RUMOR.

Imagine that.

Oh and AMFAMAN....in response to your question....did you ever play that game, as a child, where everyone would sit in a circle and one person would whisper something to the one next to him, then he would whisper what he heard to the next person and so on and so on? When it finally reached the last person it was so screwed up that it was nothing like it started???? That was my point.

OUCH!!! You sure do get testy when you are proven wrong Informer. Everyone who reads these posts on a regualr basis knows that this (again) is your MO. And yes EVERYONE knows who you are INFORMER!!

If you would get your facts (and numbers) straight to begin with maybe someone would take you seriously.

Well, well ,well. So what part of Informer's story was true????? Oh yeah, RUMOR.

Imagine that.

Oh and AMFAMAN....in response to your question....did you ever play that game, as a child, where everyone would sit in a circle and one person would whisper something to the one next to him, then he would whisper what he heard to the next person and so on and so on? When it finally reached the last person it was so screwed up that it was nothing like it started???? That was my point.

Ever play the game where so-called "union" men suck so much management ass they choke on dingle berries? How does that management sphincter keep from getting rubbed raw on your shaved head stubs when you are behind on shaving?

Don't just make claims I am wrong! Provide the "facts" as you know them.

Oh and AMFAMAN....in response to your question....did you ever play that game, as a child, where everyone would sit in a circle and one person would whisper something to the one next to him, then he would whisper what he heard to the next person and so on and so on?
No, I can't say I've played such a game, but anyway this morning I did prepare a MD-80 for ferry to Tulsa, as did others for tank debris. Also the Informers story is the same story being told by those in the know to those working the planes.

I never said there was no truth to any of it. The problem is someone "thinks" they know what is going on when in reality they don't. But instead of waiting for some factual information, they put up rumor. They put up false information, exaggerated informatin in most of Informers cases, and run with it. Like I said, that is Informer's MO....always has been always will be. He stirs the pot every chance he gets.

Informer....careful man, your colors are showing.

I never said there was no truth to any of it. The problem is someone "thinks" they know what is going on when in reality they don't. But instead of waiting for some factual information, they put up rumor. They put up false information, exaggerated informatin in most of Informers cases, and run with it. Like I said, that is Informer's MO....always has been always will be. He stirs the pot every chance he gets.

That's not "Informers" MO. It sounds like your MO, BILL. I heard that you,Bill, were on the C.I. commitee that was responsible for these tank plate failures. Is that true, Bill? Still waiting for those dual unionism charges to be filed, Bill.

Latest posts