What New Routes From Dfw / Post Wright

lowfareair said:
Count em on DFWairport.com. AMR has 94 including A2A-A2N, other airlines have about 50.

The LUV bs you posted has been slaughtered by others on here, so I won't even bother with that.

Which Satellite terminal? E22-E30?
[post="283268"][/post]​

The A2 gates should not be counted as 14. They are small gates built for small planes. Otherwise, you're comparing apples to oranges.

How many gates does AA have in Terminal B? I didn't see that information at www.DFWairport.com.

If you equate A2 to be 3 gates (14 times 30 seats on a Saab340 divided by 120 or 150 seats for a regular plane), AA has those 3 plus 31 in A plus 31 in C plus whatever in B, which is 65 plus their B gates. That is well short of 94, giving AA around 60% to 70% of total DFW gate space. All of this excludes Terminal D, which will reduce AA's proportion.

TechBoy said:
Sued? On what basis?

I know we've gone lawsuit crazy in this country, but I can't think of any reason that Southwest would be liable to suit in the case. Unless there is a provision in their lease that forces them to give up gates under certain conditions, your musings here are just fantasy.
[post="283031"][/post]​

Read the Love Field Master Plan. It's there (not about lawsuits, but the requirement that Southwest give up gate space if another carrier wants access and there are no gates available).

Even if the Love Field Master Plan didn't exist, an airline cannot control almost all gates at an airport to the exclusion of competitors. That would be a violation of federal anti-trust laws.

JS said:
Read the Love Field Master Plan. It's there (not about lawsuits, but the requirement that Southwest give up gate space if another carrier wants access and there are no gates available).

Even if the Love Field Master Plan didn't exist, an airline cannot control almost all gates at an airport to the exclusion of competitors. That would be a violation of federal anti-trust laws.
[post="283403"][/post]​
Good point, JS. It wouldn't take a lawsuit to enforce gate sharing. This practice is required as long as the current occupying carrier can accomodate the additional flights at those gates. Since SWA only uses each gate at Love about 8 times a day (vs an average of 10+ elsewhere) there is some capacity that would be required to be shared initially. As the new gates came on line I'm sure each carrier would want to return to exclusive use of their own spaces as soon as possible. (SWA has to share some gate time with both USAirways and America West at LAX.)

JS said:
The A2 gates should not be counted as 14. They are small gates built for small planes. Otherwise, you're comparing apples to oranges.

How many gates does AA have in Terminal B? I didn't see that information at www.DFWairport.com.

If you equate A2 to be 3 gates (14 times 30 seats on a Saab340 divided by 120 or 150 seats for a regular plane), AA has those 3 plus 31 in A plus 31 in C plus whatever in B, which is 65 plus their B gates. That is well short of 94, giving AA around 60% to 70% of total DFW gate space. All of this excludes Terminal D, which will reduce AA's proportion.
[post="283401"][/post]​
AE has gates B2-B17 in Terminal B.

A gate is a gate is a gate. It doesn't matter if the plane it can turn around can hold 3 or 300 passengers. Do you want to say that the gates that hold a trip-7 or 763 are really two gates? As long as 14 planes can be loading/unloading at any one time means that there are 14 gates there.

lowfareair said:
AE has gates B2-B17 in Terminal B.

A gate is a gate is a gate. It doesn't matter if the plane it can turn around can hold 3 or 300 passengers. Do you want to say that the gates that hold a trip-7 or 763 are really two gates? As long as 14 planes can be loading/unloading at any one time means that there are 14 gates there.
[post="283483"][/post]​

It makes a difference if you want to be able to come to a useful conclusion. Otherwise, you're just doing arithmetic.

JS said:

[post="283403"][/post]​
If you read my original post, I indicated that the only way gates could be forced to others would be if there were a legal agreement to that effect. No mere lawsuit would suffice.

As for antitrust law, I suggest that you acquire a good antitrust hornbook and read it. The only way that an antitrust action could force the abrogation of a contract (gate leases) is if there were past violations of antitrust law that were being remedied. To my knowledge, there are no allegations that Southwest engaged in an attempt of monopolization. (The same, sadly, cannot be said of AA.) Southwest leased the gates to provide service out of DAL, and apparently no other carriers chose to do the same at the time. Indeed, I understand that additional gates are available to other airlines, who choose not to use them. So there is no plausible case for an antitrust remedy being applied to the DAL gate situation.

Now, if Southwest were to attempt to gain control of more gates through an acquisition or asset purchase, then that transaction could be reviewed by federal authorities for anticompetitive impacts. But not the existing gates.

JS said:
It makes a difference if you want to be able to come to a useful conclusion. Otherwise, you're just doing arithmetic.
[post="283515"][/post]​
I did come to a conclusion: AA has 94 'spaces' where they can turn planes around of varying sizes that other airlines cannot use.