Whats an FA Make these Days

----------------
On 5/31/2003 8:14:06 PM pricklyheat wrote:

$30,000
$40,000
$50,000
?

----------------​
All of the above, depending on how much we choose to fly. Sometimes I even spring for a First Class surcharge.

How much do you make?

MK

----------------
On 5/31/2003 9:11:51 PM kirkpatrick wrote:

----------------
On 5/31/2003 8:14:06 PM pricklyheat wrote:

$30,000
$40,000
$50,000
?

----------------​
All of the above, depending on how much we choose to fly. Sometimes I even spring for a First Class surcharge.

How much do you make?

MK

----------------​

My point in asking is that I hear a senior FA can make in excess of $60,000. Thats quite an expense isnt it.

Who mandates the FA staffing level per flight? FAA or Operations?

Thank You

The staffing levels of FA is mandated and set by the FAA. There is no operational choice about it. The FAA says you must have at least one FA for every 50 (1-50) seats on the aircraft ( per the part 91). So if you are on a plane with 96 seats and only 50 passengers you still have to have 2 flight attendants. Hope that helps answer your question.

Dispatch4Food

"My point in asking is that I hear a senior FA can make in excess of $60,000. Thats quite an expense isnt it".

Yeah, well, fuel is kinda expensive too but that plane ain't leavin without either one.

"My point in asking is that I hear a senior FA can make in excess of $60,000. Thats
quite an expense isnt it".

If things go bad, that FA may hold your life in their hand. What is that worth to you?
The first FA's had to be a qualified nurse. Think about it.

----------------
On 6/1/2003 11:25:34 AM pricklyheat wrote:

My point in asking is that I hear a senior FA can make in excess of $60,000. Thats quite an expense isnt it.

----------------​
What a flight attendant earns is not any more of your business than what you make is the flight attendant''s business.
End of discussion.

What an individual flight attendant makes is none of his business. What flight attendants in general make for a salary is not an unreasonable question, however. If you would like sympathy from the general public for the paycuts you''re experiencing, the knowledge that these cuts are excessive is important. If, on the other hand, the average flight attendant made $80,000 (which they don''t, I realize), and had a 20% cut in pay $64,000, the public might feel somewhat sorry, but don''t expect much support in your protests. Its a difference between being overpaid and being cut to a more reasonable level, and being underpaid and being cut further.

Take the UAW for an example. I have very little respect for their rants and raves as to how they are being mistreated. Line workers can make $70k a year easily for unskilled labor (without significant overtime), and if they aren''t working, they still make 95% of their hourly rate. There are several thousand workers in Oklahoma City right now collecting 95% of their salary from GM, even though none are going to work (their factory was hit by a tornado). Publicly, the UAW is making this sound like an economic disaster for their members. Sounds like a free vacation to most of us.

----------------
On 6/1/2003 7:22:42 PM ual06 wrote:

"My point in asking is that I hear a senior FA can make in excess of $60,000. Thats

If things go bad, that FA may hold your life in their hand. What is that worth to you?
The first FA''s had to be a qualified nurse. Think about it.

----------------​
And the first airplanes were restricted to so many hours to shore and had four engines. Now we fly direct and have two. Think about it.

And what exactly beside parrot the Capts switch movements does a FA do besides serve drinks and give dirty looks when asked for a pillow?

And what exactly is a 135 pound FA going to do to save my life as an aluminum tube decides its own fate? Please tell me. I am up for real world examples here.

Thanks

And what exactly is a 135 pound FA going to do to save my life as an aluminum tube decides its own fate? Please tell me. I am up for real world examples here.

Thanks

----------------
Here is a good example.......292 psgrs on a JFK-SFO L1011 ran off the runway and caught fire...aircraft evacuated in less than 90 seconds..thanks to the CABIN CREW....

This link has a picture of the a/c after fire put out.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/f...iner/twa843.htm

Untold numbers of passengers have had their lives saved due to choking, heart attacks, and other incidents due to the professionalism, training of airline flight crews.

You show your ignorance when you discount the value of a well trained and experienced airline crew, both cockpit and cabin.

----------------
On 6/6/2003 5:48:17 PM pricklyheat wrote:

----------------

----------------​
And the first airplanes were restricted to so many hours to shore and had four engines. Now we fly direct and have two. Think about it.

And what exactly beside parrot the Capts switch movements does a FA do besides serve drinks and give dirty looks when asked for a pillow?

Thanks

----------------​
Thats easy. I have personally witnessed the complete panic that occurs when there is either a fire or the fear of a fire onboard an aircraft. That 135lb FA has been trained to handle the fire and the panic which WILL save your life. Need an example of a decending tube? How about the ASA embrere (sp) that crashed in the field in Georgia. The survivors give full credit to that one FA on board. There are thousands but you only asked for an example and you got it.

----------------

----------------

----------------​

Thanks

----------------​
They are highly trained for things that almost never happen (like an emergency evacuation of a burning airplane). They will tell about the large number of FAs who have successfully used the defibs to save lives (as if other pax couldn''t have done the same). They will use the Shoeicide Bomber incident as an example of their "worth it whatever we cost" argument.

They do perform some everyday, on-board safety functions, like arming and disarming the door slides; telling idiots to sit down and buckle up during turbulence; guarding the flight deck door when serving the flight crew or when the crew needs to relieve themselves; and countless others.

They also enforce some petty rules mandated by the FAA, like making sure electronic devices are off below 10k feet; enforcing the upright seat back rule (like there''s enough coach recline to matter in an emergency); and yelling at idiots to sit down and buckle up during extended ground holds (when the captain really ought to release the pax to use the lav or stretch).

Are they worth the billions they cost each year? Fair question. But 99% of the responses you get will be "of course."

But buses and trains don''t always have attendants to do the same thing, and those modes of transportation crash with much more frequency than airplanes. Are we overspending on air safety or underspending on ground transport safety?

If you ask FA unions, they will answer "the latter."

----------------

They do perform some everyday, on-board safety functions, like arming and disarming the door slides; telling idiots to sit down and buckle up during turbulence; guarding the flight deck door when serving the flight crew or when the crew needs to relieve themselves; and countless others.

They also enforce some petty rules mandated by the FAA, like making sure electronic devices are off below 10k feet; enforcing the upright seat back rule (like there's enough coach recline to matter in an emergency); and yelling at idiots to sit down and buckle up during extended ground holds (when the captain really ought to release the pax to use the lav or stretch).

----------------​
and get stabbed in the head with wood staves, get their throats cut, and crashed into buildings. . .get punched by drunks, screamed at by pax's because the flight is delayed, ran out of Dr. Pepper, no food, no pillow, no room in the overhead bin. . .

Have to be on duty an hour before flight time, at no pay, and if the flight is delayed at the gate, no pay,
and when we land and the door is open and we clean, recheck, and reboard, no pay. . .

So after averaging in the time you do NOT get paid, but are working, with the time you do get paid, it isn't much.

When I first started working my husband averaged my pay and it came to $8.00 an hour! That is eight dollars an hour! At the time my pay for the public to see was $18.00 an hour up to 67 hours.

Whatever a flight attendant makes "they earn it".
3.gif
14.gif

And I do not know of any f/a making $80K unless they are a union head
9.gif
9.gif
gigi
12.gif

----------------

---------​

Thanks

----------------​
Speaking as someone who personally lost someone I loved dearly on AA11,
not to mention several I had flown with (one, a "cut throat" RIP, B.A.), this challenge is quite offensive.

If you land safely and without incident everytime, well, it''s all small potatoes, isn''t it? All you have to complain about is the minutae. You don''t notice that which is not evident...that''s fine.

To me, it''s doing my job, along with making sure that those traveling would travel with us again.

It cracks me up (but it makes me more sad than anything) to hear US citizens b***h at security checkpoints during "color" alerts. Yet, if something were to "go down" everyone would be on FOX News shrieking, "WHY DID THIS HAPPEN? WHY DIDN''T THEY KNOW? WHY DIDN''T THEY PROTECT US? Why did they INCONVENIENCE US?"

Again, Prickly, you love to "flame" with us, we still don''t know who you work for, your postion, or your salary.

For the record, I made less than $25,000 last year (no high-time flying available). Based on base pay and per diem cuts alone, that translates to a $4,000 paycut. Yes, perhaps, a 15+year F/A on INTL cut POSSIBLY make $60,000/yr...what''s the big whoop? Let us know your salary and position before posting another possible "flame" posting.

Just my 2 cents,

Coop