What's this about?

Junebug172

Veteran
Sep 26, 2002
I was sent this and was wondering if someone could explain it to me.

Blocked vote on offer angers some US Airways pilots

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

By Michael A. Fuoco, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
US Airways pilot Richard Paul yesterday missed seeing his daughter off to her first day of kindergarten in Charlotte, N.C., because he was concerned for her future. Today, he's even more concerned.

Paul was among a group of pilots who tried and failed on Monday to sway union leaders from Pittsburgh and Philadelphia from blocking rank-and-file pilots from voting on the airline's latest cost-cutting offer. Now Paul, a first officer based in Philadelphia, worries that the fate of the airline may be out of his and fellow pilots' hands.

"This group figures if they bury their head in the sand and say 'No,' that nothing will change," Paul said of the four Pittsburgh and Philadelphia representatives, who have come to be known as the "Roll Call 4."

"That's as realistic as clicking your heels and saying 'There's no place like home.' It's not realistic. The world has changed."

Paul and other pilots opposed to what transpired at the Arlington, Va., hotel where the 12 pilots union leaders met, say they are upset they were prevented from voting on their future.

Their view is that the proposal would have passed membership scrutiny, even though it included deep pay and other cuts, because it included the securing of jurisdiction, seniority and other major contractual protections even if US Airways goes into bankruptcy -- an option the company has indicated it will take.

Without such protections, they argue, their entire contract will be at the mercy of U.S. Bankruptcy Court if US Airways files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

To be sure, not everyone was opposed to the actions of Fred Freshwater and John Brookman of Pittsburgh and Dan Von Bargen, who also voted the proxy for fellow Philadelphian John Crocker. Even though the four were outnumbered by representatives from other bases, they were able to block any vote because they represented a majority of pilots.

Airline bulletin boards on the Internet yesterday included postings from some pilots who hailed what the four had done in not allowing a rank-and-file vote. Some praised them for having the gumption to stand up to the company's "take it or leave it" proposal, claiming the pilots had already given enough.

But Capt. Chip Munn, 49, of Cranberry, who has been based at New York LaGuardia's Airport for three years after 17 years in Pittsburgh, called the actions "morally wrong" and a "dictator approach."

"We had a bad feeling about what they were going to do, but we thought they would push it as far as they could to the ledge without falling off," Munn said. "They're denying over 3,000 pilots the right to decide their future."

He and other pilots upset over the 12-member US Airways Master Executive Council vote also complained that Freshwater and Von Bargen have a conflict of interest. The pair are among a group of about five dozen pilots who have a suit pending against Air Line Pilots Association for not allowing the membership to vote several years ago on a decrease in the pilots' defined benefit plan.

It's very simple.

In 2004, the ALPA advisors were beginning to tire of expending resources on negaotiations as the PIT and PHL reps resisted the wholesale rape of the pilots. They began to use the usual tactics of FUD to scare the pilots into what one ALPA National advisor called "just getting this thing over with."

The ALPA advisors began to state that US Airways would liquidate if they entered Chapter 11 with no agreement with the pilots. Management wouldn't even go that far! They never bluffed liquidation, only the ALPA advisors.

But the ALPA advisors banged the drum of "the pilots need to agree to whatever was on the table, or the company will liquidate so fast your head will spin."

The ALPA advisors so successfully scared a large percentage of the pilots that they began to clamor for the right to vote yes on a huge 23% paycut, while the PIT and PHL reps continued to demand the Company justify the ask.

Many pilots (including you-know-who) began to go public with their fears, culminating in the very sad but telling "Let My Daddy Vote" event.

The noise became so loud from the scared CLT, DCA, BOS, and DCA bases, that the justifaction of the ridiculous ask was forgotten; all the weenies wanted was to "keep their jobs" (including you-know-who).

A certain pilot from LGA became the public face of those that were so scared, they would vote yes on any garbage that came down the pike. This particular pilot even wrote to the MEC to demand they give "in excess of the company's ask." His lowest point was when he sobbed in public, "Armegeddon, Armegeddon, Armegeddon..."

So, in the end, the Company shoved LOA 93 down the pilot's throats. The weenies (including you-know-who) voted 57% yes on the horrible contract they all whine about now.

The ALPA advisors, to this day, are revered by the weenies.

And the weenies, (including you-know-who), to this day, will still try to blame others for their own actions.

Read the article...it says it all.

It's very simple.

In 2004, the ALPA advisors were beginning to tire of expending resources on negaotiations as the PIT and PHL reps resisted the wholesale rape of the pilots. They began to use the usual tactics of FUD to scare the pilots into what one ALPA National advisor called "just getting this thing over with."

The ALPA advisors began to state that US Airways would liquidate if they entered Chapter 11 with no agreement with the pilots. Management wouldn't even go that far! They never bluffed liquidation, only the ALPA advisors.

But the ALPA advisors banged the drum of "the pilots need to agree to whatever was on the table, or the company will liquidate so fast your head will spin."

The ALPA advisors so successfully scared a large percentage of the pilots that they began to clamor for the right to vote yes on a huge 23% paycut, while the PIT and PHL reps continued to demand the Company justify the ask.

Many pilots (including you-know-who) began to go public with their fears, culminating in the very sad but telling "Let My Daddy Vote" event.

The noise became so loud from the scared CLT, DCA, BOS, and DCA bases, that the justifaction of the ridiculous ask was forgotten; all the weenies wanted was to "keep their jobs" (including you-know-who).

A certain pilot from LGA became the public face of those that were so scared, they would vote yes on any garbage that came down the pike. This particular pilot even wrote to the MEC to demand they give "in excess of the company's ask." His lowest point was when he sobbed in public, "Armegeddon, Armegeddon, Armegeddon..."

So, in the end, the Company shoved LOA 93 down the pilot's throats. The weenies (including you-know-who) voted 57% yes on the horrible contract they all whine about now.

The ALPA advisors, to this day, are revered by the weenies.

And the weenies, (including you-know-who), to this day, will still try to blame others for their own actions.

Read the article...it says it all.

Thank you.

I've been reading your posts and for what its worth (very little) you have my respect.

It's very simple.

True 'dat, Ardenian. Of course, when his ALPA rep heroes voted to terminate the pension without a membership vote, as called for in the bylaws, USA320Pilot was their biggest cheerleader. :down:

[quote name='Junebug172'

I've been reading your posts and for what its worth (very little) you have my respect.
[/quote]

If for nothing more than having that avtar of such a great looking canine. How is the grooming on the great pyrenees? expensive???

I have two american staffordshire's myself and they shed like a SOB in the summer but both enjoy the cool bath in the warmth of the day.

How is the grooming on the great pyrenees? expensive???

Pyrenees require a lot of brushing to look good. After she dried from the last washing, I took about as much fur from her coat as the US Airways pilots gave up in pay over the last six years.

Too bad we can't just brush the heck out of our pilot group, then throw the balls of USA320's into the trash before they start flying around the crew room and annoying us.

Yeah, brushing a Pyrenees is kinda like Armegeddon.

...when his ALPA rep heroes voted to terminate the pension without a membership vote, as called for in the bylaws, USA320Pilot was their biggest cheerleader.

And he tries to blame the pension give-away on the PIT and PHL reps...I guess he thinks we have all forgotten.

Standard USA320 play: When all else fails - LIE.

Hey USA320, what makes you do these things? Help us to understand what goes on inside your strange little head.

I want my click back!

Can you guys label the topic appropriately that it's about the pilot in-fighting so the rest of us who don't care can skip it? Thanks in advance.

I want my click back!

Can you guys label the topic appropriately that it's about the pilot in-fighting so the rest of us who don't care can skip it? Thanks in advance.
haha. .love it! :D

Latest posts