What''s up with that?

Hopeful

Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
I went to the Jetnet M&E site and there is a summary by Mr. Kudwa, V.P., Flight Operations. He mentions that the ban on overtime for Maintenance has saved the company $66,000,000 year to date. Nice chunk of change I must say.
But I don't know if others have noticed the increase in Supervisors and Mangagers continued full steam. I don't get it! Other departments are cutting management staff left and right. But I suppose Maintenance is exempt. I am glad for the M&E Dept. But to have one supervisor for 10-12 mechanics and one manager to 3-4 supervisors seems to be excessive.. For those of you who recall that from 1989-1994, AA was the ON TIME MACHINE five years running. Who can forget the ads and commercials showing AA jets' wheels hitting the runways on landings time and time again. Well, if you remember that period, you might remember the number of supervisors and managers was a fraction of what it is today. So why the change? Especially given the financial staus of AA. I for one am glad that M&E is, for the most part, unaffected by current events. But as an M&E employee, I am concerned that in order to be more competitive in today's environment, as Mr Carty clearly states, we need to be more like SWA and JetBlue in terms of costs. Well if we need to more like them, but not necessarily become them, then why do we continue to be top-heavy. Yes, the TWU also needs to change and adapt to today's world. But the unions and workers in all classifications are being asked to bail the company out while M&E management ranks swell. I don't get it Maybe I am missing the point.

[blockquote]
----------------
Yes, the TWU also needs to change and adapt to today's world. But the unions and workers in all classifications are being asked to bail the company out while M&E management ranks swell. I don't get it Maybe I am missing the point.

----------------
[/blockquote]

Exactly the point the TWU must change. The mechanics have been bailing the company out since 1983.

As a member of flight-service..I see day to day the waste involved in catering items,scheduling,and day to day operation of the department....I can only imagine the mentality in running a the M&E department when you increase the dollar value from styro cups and check rides to 6 figure $ aircraft parts & million $ planes!!! God save us....................

They tell us that management has been cut by 22% already. They say that is more than any other work group. Whether that is true or not, I don't know.