Where Is The Outrage Indeed!

700UW said:
Hienie,

Please show me where any of the planes that went down were caused by a US Airways mechanic.

Let me save you the time, you won't.
[post="174992"][/post]​

Unfortunately one day back in the late 80's or early 90's there was a B737-400, a/c no. 413 that spent the night in DCA. Seems the mechanics towed the a/c from one part of the airport to another and one of them put a set of chocks in the main gear wheel well as the a/c was moved. When the a/c got to the new gate the mechanics never removed the chocks and the a/c took off with the chocks still in the main landing gear wheel well. When the plane went to land in GSO, if I'm not mistaken, the chocks left in the wheel well by the mechanics prevented the gear from fully deploying. The pilot of the a/c tried repeatedly to dislodge the chocks by doing several touch and go's to no avail. If it wasn't for the superb pilot on that plane there could have been many casualties. He landed that plane and the left engine scraped along the runway until it stopped. Everyone makes mistakes but this time the pilot bailed out the mechanics from having a tragedy on their concience.

Like I said, a plane that crashed, did crash? no. And the plane was diverted to GSO as Piedmont had a major maintenance presence there.

And the Capt was Larry Fuda a former agent in ROA.

Well technically I'll have to agree with you that the plane didn't crash but it very well could have if it wasn't for that pilot. The flight crew saved those people that day that is for sure!

ktflyhome,

Thank you for the kind words! It means a lot to me coming from a fellow professional.

Over the years, AFA locals and the International has sent out the budget reports. Sadly, most members don't bother to read them or somehow don't notice them.

If you call the AFA International Office, I'm pretty sure they'll send you a copy from the last BOD meeting.

It is so disappointing to me how many union members don't go to meetings, don't call the hotline, aren't signed up for the union e-mails and don't participate. I realize as crew members we don't always have the time off to go or we commute (not a good excuse to me) or have some other reason not to get involved. Some seem to think that since they pay dues, they shouldn't have pay attention. Or even bother to vote!

You have every right to call your local office or the International for information. You should be treated with respect and honesty. You should have your questions and concerns addressed. The union officers are our voice and they need to be made aware of any circumstance or situation you have on your mind.

For a long, long time, I've thought every flight attendant who votes should be sent a button. I'd like to call it the "Right to Moan and Groan about the Union" pin. No pin, then shut up! :p

I also think every flight attendant needs to wear their union pin all the time. To me, it says I support my profession, I support my co-workers. It also makes management nervous to see solidarity in the ranks. I have my own "beefs" with the union but that doesn't mean it's an excuse to not wear my pin. If you need a pin, call your local and ask for one.

That was the purpose of starting this topic. We seriously need some solidarity with each other. This isn't to say we have to agree on every issue. That will never happen. But we do need to stand together. Solidarity is only power any union has.

Pat Friend is *not* the union. Mollie McCarthy is *not* the union. Teddy Xides is *not* the union. The membership is. And it's an awesome power and responsibility.

So, get involved, stay informed and flex that muscle!

Dea

Dea Certe said:
ELP WN Psgr,

"Witchy Woman" "Desperado" and probably closest it to all: "All Ready Gone". :p

Dea
[post="174977"][/post]​

Gone are the days of easy and big money with this thing called a world economy: Case in point. I bought some expensive tools 30 years ago that were top of the line and back then cost over $1000. Today if you were to buy those same tools they cost more than three times that much, BUT, that particular company is in the same shape U is and here is why. You can now buy the same quality tools in today’s dollar for less than $100! These are the same tools that cost over one thousand dollars thirty years ago. I didn't believe it until I bought some to see if they were pure junk. They are NOT junk at all and in fact just as good as the ones costing ten fold more. So obviously the company selling the high end stuff is hurting, in fact getting slaughtered, just like U is.

Welcome to the new world economy folks where wages are low and so is merchandise pricing. To make big money today one needs to own a business or get a masters degree and then maybe just maybe you have a shot at making good money. Tis life, take it or leave it, but this is what’s out there.

If everyone stood up together, like Jim said, in solid and complete unity, then maybe the tide would slow, but it will not be stopped because the momentum is already at work and the working class is getting crushed.

ktflyhome said:
NO ONE had or has ever received one iota of information from AFA as to where our monthly/yearly dues goes to.

Many, of my division are starting to question this. Where is the $$$$$$ going. We would like to know!!!!!! :shock:
[post="175009"][/post]​
Ummm... Have you ever ASKED for such info? Or do you want Pat Friend to start knocking on everone's door and giving you a personal Power Point presentation on AFA's budget because she has nothing better to do... <_<

MrAeroMan said:
Unfortunately one day back in the late 80's or early 90's there was a B737-400, a/c no. 413 that spent the night in DCA. Seems the mechanics towed the a/c from one part of the airport to another and one of them put a set of chocks in the main gear wheel well as the a/c was moved. When the a/c got to the new gate the mechanics never removed the chocks and the a/c took off with the chocks still in the main landing gear wheel well. When the plane went to land in GSO, if I'm not mistaken, the chocks left in the wheel well by the mechanics prevented the gear from fully deploying. The pilot of the a/c tried repeatedly to dislodge the chocks by doing several touch and go's to no avail. If it wasn't for the superb pilot on that plane there could have been many casualties. He landed that plane and the left engine scraped along the runway until it stopped. Everyone makes mistakes but this time the pilot bailed out the mechanics from having a tragedy on their concience.
[post="175025"][/post]​

I guess those preflight walks are a joke then, but of course looking for such a thing would require bending little and that is too much for a captain.

Those stupid nasty Neanderthals

You do ok at times sounding logical then go off the deep end with one of your emotional fits and undo anything you posted that sounded reasonable.

PORTION DELETED

Bear96 said:
Ummm... Have you ever ASKED for such info? Or do you want Pat Friend to start knocking on everone's door and giving you a personal Power Point presentation on AFA's budget because she has nothing better to do... <_<
[post="175209"][/post]​
Actually, Bear, I have never asked for such info. I have actually never questioned where my dues went or the AFA budget. I assumed AFA was putting our dues to good use. This was a conversatin that came up amongst soome fellow comrades the last few days and I became curious as we all were just wondering. I never remember receiving anything in the mail over the years.

I use to never question and was ill-informed. Now, I question and want to be informed. It's called educating myself better, before I ####, moan and groan. :)

I do believe for the first time F/A's are staying more in touch with the issues and are talking more amongst ourselves and relaying important news and information to each other. I believe now more than ever that our senses have become alot keener.

cavalier said:
I guess those preflight walks are a joke then, but of course looking for such a thing would require bending little and that is too much for a captain.

Those stupid nasty Neanderthals

You do ok at times sounding logical then go off the deep end with one of your emotional fits and undo anything you posted that sounded reasonable.

PORTION DELETED
[post="175220"][/post]​

It wasn't an emotional fit Cav. That actually happened and you know it as well as I do. Thanks for the compliment though! :D

kt,

very simple questions to be answered by AFA...call AFA International to send you the breakdown. They most certainy will.

It is also on the MEC Website. Call the U MEC in Pittsburgh. You will find what you seek.

FYI: $5.34 of your $39 dues $$ goes to the local.

Dea,

PIT Local 40 meeting was on Aug. 16. Was standing room only for hours.

Dea,

Again, thanks for your great post above.

Below, is what I copied off the MEC webpage. However, you are correct, AFA International can send the information requested to any member in good standing with AFA. As I stated in my above post, the Local gets $5.34.

Where Do My Union Dues Go

Imagine life without the $39.00 monthly union dues…

What would it be like working at US Airways without having to pay $39 to AFA every month?

It would mean no union and no AFA...

Do you think that is the answer?

Then the question really is…
What would it be like working at your airline with no contract to protect you?
How would management treat you and your flying partners if it didn't have to negotiate and adhere to the contract?
What would it be like if you had no voice?
You've seen how supervisors routinely attempt to violate your contract and how this management team never seems to think it's taken enough from you. Without AFA and the flight attendants and attorneys who represent you, things would likely be a lot worse. With no contract to protect your wages, benefits, and work rules, management could create new work rules, cut benefits and reduce pay at their whim - and you would have no recourse.

Without... a contract protecting you on the job, your pay and per diem would probably be cut. You'd likely have to pay a lot more out of your pocket for a lot less health insurance. Sick leave would be virtually non-existent. Vacations would be reduced significantly. Pensions and retirement would be unheard of.

Without... a contract, safety and security training and protections would get slashed. Duty days would get longer and rests would get shorter. Days off would never be "free".

If... management had its way, the quality of hotels you stay in would go way down, because standards for the hotels you stay in are set in your contract and monitored by AFA representatives.

And if... AFA hadn't already won the legal battles against these practices, you might even have to weigh in, remain single and retire at 32.

Your $39... a month goes to pay professional negotiators and financial and benefit experts to work with flight attendants in negotiating new contracts. It pays attorneys who work with elected leaders (also paid with your dues) and flight attendant committee members to enforce your contract.

Your $39... is used to pay lobbyists and flight attendants who take time away from flying to work to change laws and give you a voice on Capitol Hill. It's used to make sure the FAA doesn't overlook us when it's creating safety and health policies that affect our workplace. Dues are used to help us advocate for better security and training with the TSA.

Your $39... brings you up-to-date communications on our industry, workplace and employers. When flight attendants need to be in the news to alert the flying public about our issues, your dues enable AFA to communicate effectively with the mass media. And with your dues, AFA is able to provide a nationally recognized Employee Assistance Program that's available to flight attendants in need, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Just think about it: Without membership in AFA, especially in these last two difficult years for our industry, where would we be now? How much further would airline management have cut if it didn't have to negotiate?

AFA dues have not increased since 1994. In fact, that's one reason our union is struggling financially - over the past two years, we've lost over 10,000 members. That means 10,000 fewer people paying dues. And with the cost of living going up and revenue going down, and management taking out its financial missteps on the front-line employees, we have to change the way we do business to survive to fight another day. Just doing nothing and continuing down this same road would be a failure to each and every flight attendant who shows up to work each day.

To make sure we can continue to fight from a position of strength, we are considering a merger with the Communications Workers of America. Gaining the strength and backing of CWA's 700,000 workers would give us the economic and political resources to get through the downturns in our industry without weakening our union through cuts in services to members.

Sure, AFA might not always be successful in our fights against powerful corporations and government agencies. We don't always come out on top. But our progress over nearly six decades is proven. Your local and MEC leaders, and the International Officers and staff never stop fighting for a better workplace and a better career for all 40,000 AFA flight attendants. And your dues give us the ability to do that.

Everyone is missing the cogent point here. Simply, if we all united in one union or at least acted as one union and struck all the properties on the continent at once, the fat cats would certainly take notice.

Solidarity and unity are the tools we need to put an end to these abuses and keeping their fingers out of our pockets.

The sooner the better. Give it some thought. Because we will surely be defeated in the divided state we are now in.

:up:

what has the Union done for reserves. Absolutely nothng. Right now, i and many oothers would much rather be judged on our performance. :shock:

Latest posts