who gives a sh*t anymore?

Found this article so I figured on posting it here.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2014/05/american-airlines-president-sees-strong-earnings-network-future.html/

American Airlines president sees strong earnings, network future

Some highlights. Red comments are mine.

One of the top reasons for the airline’s better performance is less uncertainty among its 100,000 employees,(thanks to the TWU the company gets what they want) Kirby said. Employees “for the first time probably since 9/11 are excited about the future, (we are? with the outsourcing of jobs in M&E?)optimistic about the future [and] energized,” he said.
Happier employees also is leading to stronger financial results, such as the airlines’ record first-quarter profit of $480 million, Kirby said. He forecast that American’s earnings can grow faster than the rest of the airline industry. (we should be happier? The TWU gave away profit sharing)

* Labor: American and airlines in general are moving toward a different relationship between management and labor, Kirby said. “Rather than having a divisive relationship where the two sides are at war,” they’re moving toward a relationship where you may not agree on everything but respect each other, he said. (Hell the TWU has been chummy with the company for years, they must be talking about the other unions)

Overspeed said:

You are sure a good TWU officer advocating for AMFA.
That is because Bob is for the membership not for the union, big difference there and you are too blind and selfish to see that, and that's why YOU don't understand who Bob really is.  
I would be willing to bet that Bob will support what ever the majority wants at AA, and if that means bringing in AMFA and firing the TWU then so be it.  I would also be willing to bet that the membership (at least way up north) will be asking Bob to run for a union position once AMFA is in, and I bet Bob would do it.  Bob cannot and will not flat out support or help bring in AMFA as he could be brought up on charges and possibly removed from the union.  I know I have always said never put a previous (TWU) union officer into the new union (ex: AMFA)  however, I bet Bob will get nominated by the membership once AMFA gets in.   BTW we have done it here at SWA, although it was years later and not in the beginning to stop the possible sabotage of union from getting set up and running, that is what must be prevented at AA when AMFA gets voted in...

1AA said:
Found this article so I figured on posting it here.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2014/05/american-airlines-president-sees-strong-earnings-network-future.html/

American Airlines president sees strong earnings, network future

Some highlights. Red comments are mine.

One of the top reasons for the airline’s better performance is less uncertainty among its 100,000 employees,(thanks to the TWU the company gets what they want) Kirby said. Employees “for the first time probably since 9/11 are excited about the future, (we are? with the outsourcing of jobs in M&E?)optimistic about the future [and] energized,” he said.
Happier employees also is leading to stronger financial results, such as the airlines’ record first-quarter profit of $480 million, Kirby said. He forecast that American’s earnings can grow faster than the rest of the airline industry. (we should be happier? The TWU gave away profit sharing)

* Labor: American and airlines in general are moving toward a different relationship between management and labor, Kirby said. “Rather than having a divisive relationship where the two sides are at war,” they’re moving toward a relationship where you may not agree on everything but respect each other, he said.
What sort of alternate reality is Kirby in?

Either that or maybe he thinks if he keeps saying we are happy and confident about the future that we will forget that we are the worst paid mechanics in the industry with the worst benefits, work rules etc.

Bob Owens said:

Either that or maybe he thinks if he keeps saying we are happy and confident about the future that we will forget that we are the worst paid mechanics in the industry with the worst benefits, work rules etc.
Could it possibly be that investors are staying away for now with concerns of integration problems?  Maybe this is why he felt he had to put the word out that the employees are happy.

Got your message Bob.  I will never say never.  Hope IT never happens here at SWA.  I assure you that your percentile numbers are right on.  The employees have always been willing to help, when needed.  In the 90's we had hours of pay deducted from our paychecks to help out during the fuel crises.  I know that's different than your examples, but I assure you if it came down to it the majority, as you pointed out would support the company to get back to sustained profitability.  I just pray to God we never get there.  I also understand your hopes of our level remaining where it is.  Alot of us honestly think (and this is just shop talk with opinions) that the company won't settle any contracts do to main goal of trying to reach and surpass the 15% ROIC, it is paramount by our leaders at the top.  With this long delay in contracts, they get by with no increase in labor cost for several groups that are all due at the same time.   The company has already said there will be room for raises (speaking for mechanic group here) but they are asking for them to be self efficient, or at least cost neutral for the company.  At a time of record profits, growth, expansion and new international growth as well,  can't really see any reasons for us to provide the cost of the raises out directly.  Sad to say we have done that in the past after 9-11 and even some in our last contract, but it is what it ia as the members voted for it.  I know I rambled a little, just wanted to let you know I read it.

Bob Owens said:
Bizarro+World.png

Back