Who Should Replace Dave?

7.5victim

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
DTW
Visit site
Common consensus among USAirways employee is that Dave should go. Based upon the companies emergence from CH11 while still having some of the highest costs in the industry, and his failure to address the threat of WN, I agree. US Airways should be in a much better competetive position than they currently are.

Problem is, who can replace Dave? Who can build a consensus with the employees, convince creditors that the company IS a going concern, and is willing to set an example by doing it for little or no upfront salary? Should the person come from inside UAIR or outside? Even more, should they come from inside or outside the industry? If you were a successful leader of a Fortune 500 company, would you want to take over US Airways?

I'm curious to know what those of you on the inside think about the future?

Personally, I think we should have our own reality show. Call it "American Icon". Every contestant must have a viable plan for getting UAIR back to profitability (notice, I said "viable"). Each week contestants "perform" in front of an audience of UAIR's employees. Judges shall include people who know how to make a company profitable, say Oprah Winfrey, Alan Greenspan, Lee Iaccoca, Bill Gates and just because he's honest - SIMON! And then our "vote" would be for who WE feel would be the best. The number to call is 866-NEW-BOSS 01 (or 02, 03 whoever gets your vote).

:down: IT REALLY WONT MAKE ANY DIFFERANCE.USAIR WILL NOT FINISH THE YEAR.FROM THE DAYS OF WOLFE TO NOW,TOO MUCH DAMAGE HAS BEEN DONE AND THE DAYS OF USAIR HAVING THE ONLY SERVICE BETWEEN NORTHEAST CITIES IS OVER.CHANGING THE NAME TO USAIRWAYS,BUILDING UP A FAILED HUB IN DULLES,CANCELLING THE BOEING CONTRACT ARE BUT A FEW OF THE STUPID MOVES THAT COST THE COMPANY MILLIONS AND AND GAVE THE SIGNAL TO OTHER CARRIERS THAT USAIR WAS RIPE FOR THE TAKING.
THE MORAL IS AT ITS LOWEST AND MOST EMPLOYEES KNOW DEEP DOWN ITS OVER. SOUTHWEST IS VERY WELL AIRLINE WITH HIGHLY MOTIVATED EMPLOYEES AND THE NONSENSE THAT USAIR HAS A BETTER PRODUCT IS BUNK.3 BY 3 SEATING IS ALL THE SAME AND THE FEW TIMES I HAVE FLOWN SWA,THE ENTIRE CREW AND GROUND SUPPORT MAKE SURE THE FLIGHT DEPARTS ON TIME.
WHEN ACA GOES INDEPENDANCE AIR,THIS WILL ONLY HASTEN THE DEMISE OF USAIR AS THEIR PLAN IS TO SERVICE AIRPORTS WITH NO LLCS.I.E.ROA,CAE.CHS,HVN,GSP AND OTHER SMALL CITIES THAT USAIR HAS BEEN GOUGING FOR YEARS.
MYSELF AND OTHERS ARE LOOKING FOR REPLACEMENT JOBS AND I WISH THE REST OF YOU THE BEST,AND MOST OF ALL,THOSE AT THE W/OS WHO WORK FOR FAST FOOD WAGES NOW AND IT WILL GET WORSE.
THANKS FOR NOTHING IAM,IT MAKES ME SICK TO PAY UNION DUES FOR SUCH LOW PAY.I WAS IN THE TEAMSTERS YEARS AGO AND NO REAL UNION WOULD HAVE SIGNED OFF ON SUCH A SELL OUT OF A CONTRACT.

Why did you type in all caps? And US never had a hub at IAD. And it is Wolf, not Wolfe.

700UW said:
Why did you type in all caps? And US never had a hub at IAD. And it is Wolf, not Wolfe.
Holy #@$@%. I agree with 700UW completely...

I will qualify the IAD bit by noting that Metrojet did get a fair amount of presence at IAD before the thing was scaled back. Part was expansion; part was the ability to shift slots away from DCA and to operate the flights out of IAD (BHM service was the perfect example). My opinion is that US scaled IAD back to placate UAL prior to the announcement of the merger.

700: Wake up on the wrong side of the bed today?? ;) :D

I don't recall a IAD hub, but I believe many years ago crews started trips out of both IAD and DCA, then IAD went by the wayside for a while and then they started it up again. I believe that happened after 9/11 sometime. I think. :)

700UW said:
Thers no sense in attacking dash8roa on his first ever post on this forum. What in the hell kinda welcome is that? :shock: Besides his post was basically right on the money. $$$$$$ ;) The end is near with this lousy company for most or maybe all of his, I'll will try to be there to ride the last wave. :D

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 145
Dash8roa: I saw you were a Newbie, didn't notice this was your first post. Welcome aboard!!! :up: :D

FYI: I just got a lesson myself in Nettiquette. I guess there is a sight one can go to learn Computer etiquette. I myself used caps a few times before I got chastised. You aren't the first, won't be the last. Again. Welcome aboard. :)

Nope, just pointing out that it is impolite to post in all caps and correcting the wrong information about IAD and Wolf.

No malice intended.

Hmmm.... maybe we could get back on topic? Or does nobody have any real idea who could lead US Airways back from the brink?

My guess? Someone from outside the industry, who'll get no pay up front, but will if the company is broken up, or if it returns to some prenegotiated definition of profitability. Either way, they'll be compensated.

we do not have time to get another ceo. we are stuck with dave like it or not. guys this is a very tough time for all of us. the month of april will be a very frustrating and nerve recking month for u employees. there will be alot of decision making that will change lives.
everyone has there own personal situation. it is a tough world out there. the airline industry is a very unforgiving industry. i personaly beleive that this company will survive. i have to beleive it for my family. i have been here 8 yrs and i have never ever worked with such wonderful and professional individuals.
we have a strong franchise a very good product we can build from. there is no reason why this company should fail. i know that we are frustrated and angry i am my self. yes management is not the best but its what we have and we need to work with them as much as i hate to say that. we have no choice if we want this company to survive. if you are one of those who say "shut it down already" i feel your pain. but think that there are 45,000 active and inactive employees here at u. if we shut it down thats alot of people on the unemployment line. i am not attacking anyone here all iam saying is that when we make that final decision please think about the consequences and the benefits that come with it. try to put it in perspective .have a clear mind and be level headed and sit down with your families first and try to put emotions aside. there is life after usairways i understand that. but this company is to special to me and i am sure to many of you out there.
god bless &stay safe
etops1

ktflyhome -

It won't be Branson, if anything, it would be Fred Reid, who has been tapped to lead the new carrier. But in all honesty, I think that's unlikely. There seems to be this myopia at USAirways. Either it's Branson, or United, or some other white knight that's going to come in and save US. I just don't see anyone at another carrier wanting to tackle the problems the airline has. But at the same time, I don't see the management or employees wanting to do so either.

ETOPS -

I agree. Dave is it. But how do you get that across to all employees, and find a way for Dave to actually lead the company?

etops 1: I can in all heartfelt honesty understand where you are coming from. I too love the people here and I too need and want the job I have. I am just really tired of the same old Song and Dance Routine. This last Wed.'s Webcast really depressed me. I wanted soooo badly to see Dave become our White Knight. To me, he is worse than a politician. He has had his chance and so far I feel he has blown it.

The bottom line, is this: It will come down to our own individual choices, based on our personal lives, families, etc.

I pretty well think he has most of the employees between a rock and a hard place and He (DAVE) knows this. This is just MOHO. :)

Latest posts