Will MDA Fly on Turkey Day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PropPiedmont

Senior
Dec 10, 2003
With MDA on the way out now, are there going to be any crews working the next few days over Thanks Giving?

It would be really tough for me to go to work if I had some sick time to burn before I got laid off. I'll be in and out of PHL over the few days so I guess I'll get to see first hand.

With MDA on the way out now, are there going to be any crews working the next few days over Thanks Giving?

It would be really tough for me to go to work if I had some sick time to burn before I got laid off. I'll be in and out of PHL over the few days so I guess I'll get to see first hand.

Hell... I burned my sick time in another similar situation. Can't take it with you and they won't pay it to you.

Yup. And let's be realistic.
  • Losing jobs a month before Christmas
  • Furloughed again by the same company
  • Possibility of losing home / family
  • Layoff fatigue
  • Career expectation anxiety
There is certainly reason why these people should not be flying airplanes if they are not in the right frame of mind to do so.

If that is the case -- if they're wondering how to provide for their families -- then I believe that would be a perfect use of sick-time.

At the rate pilots are resigning, there won't be any worries about sick calls because there won't be anyone to call.... The rally cry, "all or none" is something most are sticking by and have chosen unemployment or alternative employment over going to work for Bedford at Republic. A few have chosen to go to work at Republic for lack of alternatives, and Republic is LUCKY to have them for they are true professionals.

It would suprise me very little however to see those who aren't gone choosing the holidays to burn sick time. Whats the worst that can happen to someone who calls in sick when they aren't? Unemployment? Thats not much threat to a group who are going to be unemployed very soon anyway. I would be very suprised if more than half of the 22 remaining aircraft fly un-interrupted schedules for the remainder of this year, they are already short crews as it is.

ALL OR NONE!

SH

Answer me this? Really, what is wrong with flying for Republic?
Ok, they took the 170s. But thats over and done. Now you have to get your ego's in order, store your attitudes and get with an airline that has a future.
The J4J guys that came over for the 145, at least those that are left, are happy. Most gave up the J4J situation and are now captains, with good seniority, flying the line. With base choices from Upstste NY to South Florida to Utah (next month or so).
No, I'm not a Republic employee. Just someone who can't understand why you'd accept unemployment to a captain's salary with a major player in the industry.

Answer me this? Really, what is wrong with flying for Republic?
Ok, they took the 170s. But thats over and done. Now you have to get your ego's in order, store your attitudes and get with an airline that has a future.
The J4J guys that came over for the 145, at least those that are left, are happy. Most gave up the J4J situation and are now captains, with good seniority, flying the line. With base choices from Upstste NY to South Florida to Utah (next month or so).
No, I'm not a Republic employee. Just someone who can't understand why you'd accept unemployment to a captain's salary with a major player in the industry.

This isn't about egos. This about a group of employees that were told they could have a job through self-sacrafice by taking that tough step into Mid Atlantic, then they would be the saving grace of US Airways.

And as soon as they got the volunteers to help save the airline, management turned their backs on those employees and never even said, "Thanks for trying, but we're going to go another route that renders you unemployed."

It's not about egos, it's about people. It's about giving 100% for what you believe in and having the cause that you're fighting for light up in flames right in front of your eyes.

It's about people, human beings, who just want their employer to give them back as much as they have been giving to survive.

This is about Pride.

I am totally ashamed of what our company has done.

I am glad to say that the employees working the MDA division have a much better work ethic then the top 4 posters of this thread. On the 22nd, there were 4 flights canceled. 2 for Maintenance and 2 due to ATC. Zero cancellations for the 23rd, 24th and 25th. 2 cancellations for today due to maintenance.

While the situation with MDA is a cluster to say the least....it still shows that the majority of employees have a great sense of pride and integrity.

I am glad to say that the employees working the MDA division have a much better work ethic then the top 4 posters of this thread.

Maybe you should reread my posts.

BTW I worked Thanks Giving as I previously posted. I will also be working over XMAS and New Years', all without complaining.

I am glad to say that the employees working the MDA division have a much better work ethic then the top 4 posters of this thread.
Excuse me?

Have you ever worked with me or any of the others?

Have you ever worked in my department at the same location and time?

I don't think so.

When I am at work I give 100% you can ask any of my past or current foreman about my work ethic.

Being visible as a union rep, you have to work hard and set an example and not be a slacker or a person with an attendance problem.

Until you have worked side by side with the four top posters I suggest you not post about our work ethic when you have never worked with us or even in our departments.

I would have expected better from you.

Just for clarification I would like you to explain my work ethic. Please include the date of my last sick day and how I negatively affect the operation of this company.

It would be really tough for me to go to work if I had some sick time to burn before I got laid off.

In my opinion, you are promoting the idea of a "sick call" event for MDA. The vast amjority of employees that have been in a similar position have rose to the challenge and resisted the temptation to call in sick, because they have a strong work ethic and integrity. I myself have been in the position if being handed a furlough packet 3-4 different times. While it may be tempting to call off, I am glad that the majority of employees resisted the temptation.

I was the same way.

I wanted to call in sick. I wanted to show them that a furlough notice right before Christmas was rotten. I wanted to show them that they needed me. But I didn't.

I went to work, did my job, went home, and got laid off.

(shrug) When push comes to shove pilots generally have integrity. We do our job when we're asked to do so.

Was it worth it? Spending that Christmas and New Years away from my home and family? Who knows.

Neither ALPA or the company even remembers my name, much less any sacrifice I made in order to provide exceptional service to the customer.

Would I have blamed the MDA pilots for calling in sick? No.
Would I have done it if I were in their shoes? Probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies.