Will TWA fly again? Let''s create the new TWA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
TWA will return sooner than you think!
9.gif

TransWorld Airlines is a more appropriate name for AA, since AA is making the serious money on the international side.

Not knocking patriotism, but the red, white and blue is getting old.

Delta, United and Northwest have changed their livery recently to fly a more international theme.

Well when the name is American, the red white and blue does fit. Instead of TWA, we could go to our roots and adopt the old AOA (American Overseas Airlines). Unless we sold the rights to it when that division was sold off.

----------------
On 8/3/2003 11:32:00 PM AAquila wrote:

TransWorld Airlines is a more appropriate name for AA, since AA is making the serious money on the international side.

Not knocking patriotism, but the red, white and blue is getting old.

Delta, United and Northwest have changed their livery recently to fly a more international theme.

----------------​
Paint is too heavy, means more fuel is burned. I like the polished look. Much cleaner, although the F-100 I was on yesterday was so dirty you could not make out the AA logo on the tail.
6.gif

Hmmm, wasn't there an airline who bought TWA and promised those very things to get Congessional approval?

----------------
On 7/31/2003 6:31:08 AM Hopeful wrote:

Will you guarantee to take all the TWA people back and PROMISE them they will all have jobs?

----------------​

----------------
On 8/5/2003 1:35:16 PM Sean wrote:

Hmmm, wasn't there an airline who bought TWA and promised those very things to get Congessional approval?

----------------​
Congressional approval was not needed (and not obtained) when AA bought TWA's assets. Congress doesn't approve purchases and sales of assets or mergers.

I believe Congressional was needed to get past the prevailing mood about anti-trust laws at the time. In fact Compton and Carty testified heavily and lobbied extensively to get the purchase approved.

----------------
On 8/5/2003 3:06:35 PM L1011Ret wrote:

I believe Congressional was needed to get past the prevailing mood about anti-trust laws at the time. In fact Compton and Carty testified heavily and lobbied extensively to get the purchase approved.

----------------​
There was never any doubt the TWA purchase would be approved by the Department of Justice antitrust division; TWA was clearly failing and AA was not gaining that much market share anyway.

And Congress had nothing to do with it.
10.gif

----------------
On 8/5/2003 3:06:35 PM L1011Ret wrote:

----------------​
L1011Ret, I believe you are mistaken. TWA filed for BK. The script had been written. Congressional approval was neither needed nor obtained. Congress does not enforce anti-trust laws. The Executive branch of the government is charged with that responsibility. The Justice Department investigated the purchase of the TWA assets and their "merger" into the AA operation and did not file an objection with the BK court. I believe the approval was based on the 'failing business' doctrine. Because there was no charge of anti-trust, AA was not required to shed any of the TWA assets.
I can't recall any Congressional hearings on this matter at which Compton or Carty would have testified. But they may have been in Washington seeking Congressional backing, if it would be necessary. But then, my memory of three years ago events could be faulty.

As an ex TWA employee, this discussion of bringing back TWA is getting a little old. Compton ran the airline into the ground to sell it off to AA with employee approval. You loved Compton and you loved the idea to working for AA.

Compton had no business as CEO of TWA and when they wanted him out, he purposely bankrupted the company for a buck.

----------------
On 8/5/2003 9:11:44 PM Carlito wrote:

As an ex TWA employee, this discussion of bringing back TWA is getting a little old. Compton ran the airline into the ground to sell it off to AA with employee approval. You loved Compton and you loved the idea to working for AA.

Compton had no business as CEO of TWA and when they wanted him out, he purposely bankrupted the company for a buck.

----------------​
If you could prove that, you may have grounds for one hell of a law suit by Ex-TWA stock holders!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts