Work Ethics

operaations

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
I recieved this email from a flight attendant friend that found horrible. I will delete the name of the author

Just flew with a FA that told me the best story. It happened to him
> and its enough to give you back a little faith in your coworkers. He
> was working a Folker and was getting in early in the day....prime for
> reassignment. He told the pilots please don't answer the phone,
> etc...Sure enough, as they are deplaning the phone is ringing. The
> Captain is closest and you guessed it....he answered the phone, but
> what happened next is one for the books. They were at K5 or something
> like that, but when he answered he says "K18", Tower says "oh wrong
> gate". Hangs up. Phone is ringing, Captain answers after a few
> rings, "H8". Tower says "darn I am having trouble with this line".
> This continues a few more times and finally the Captain answers with
> the correct gate and says "flight attendants? Oh they have been gone
> for awhile, we've been in over 20 minutes, sorry". Sometimes I guess
> it's who plays the game the best. Hope you enjoyed the story as much
> as I did.>
>
>
> Vice Chair

name with held,

Well, I for one, did not enjoy this story at all. It illustrates the attitude that I , as a Crew Scheduler,
have to deal with in my job every day. I never realized that it went as high up as a base Vice Chair.
I shudder to think that a person in a position of some clout such as yourself would pass this
story along as a 'funny' anecdote. It sounds like this crew was needed for a flight that might
not be able to go out without them. So, effectively, you are applauding the endeavors of crew
members evading their jobs and thereby inconveniencing our paying passengers. Do you have any idea
how many flights are being sent out either late or short on crews because of crew behavior such
as this? I would think that a person in your position would want to stop this behavior rather than
applaud it.
And if I'm not mistaken, Mr. Arpey recently sent out quite an extensive email about business ethics.
I wonder what he would think of this behavior and your reaction to it.
Pull together, win together indeed.

Oh, and we operate Fokker aircraft, not Folker.

While the story posted above may or may not be true, allow me to relate a true story:

One time I had a job similar to crew scheduling, where I called people and told them where and when to show up for work.

There was this one guy who no-showed too often. I was at a work location where he was a no-show, and that was the last straw with me.

I dialed his phone number and got his answering machine, so I left him the following message: "You're fired!"

Too bad the unions prevent AA from doing that.

I heard from the person who wrote the rep[ly to Arpey and everyone else nder the sun that they also sent it to the USA Today..Fort Worth Star Teklegram..Chicago Tribune and the Miami Herald. I have no idea what they would want with it but If they like it i am sure they will run with it and make AA look bad and all of its empoloyees

operaations said:
I heard from the person who wrote the rep[ly to Arpey and everyone else nder the sun that they also sent it to the USA Today..Fort Worth Star Teklegram..Chicago Tribune and the Miami Herald. I have no idea what they would want with it but If they like it i am sure they will run with it and make AA look bad and all of its empoloyees
Operaations,
You really seem to care about your company and hope it recovers and does well...are you sure you aren't one of us red headed step children? :p

I admire some of the things you stand for. I do not admire how yall treated the flight attendants that crossed the picket lines to feed their families. Like alot of people say in here when they rant about sick time. Some single parents cant be gone from home that long. Well some single parents could not afford to stay on strike. And I feel for the way you were treated by the APFA.

I love this company and want it to succeed and want all the people out on lay offs to come back if they so desire. I want us toi get along. We do not have to like eachother but we do have to respect eachother. We have to respect our profession our passengers and our co workers in order to survive. If we keep fighting ourselves and promote and cheer the bad things that one can do we will never recover.

That is all written on emotion and probably makes no sense.

And one more thing. I had a really good friend that was a flight attendant for TWA for 16 years. Once she was furloughed she has refused to talk to me since I am NAATIVE. There are bad apples everywhere. I even went out of my way to travel to STL to teach her and some of her friends flight attendant entries and contract rules before the integration. And that is the thanks I got.

Operaations,
I'm sorry about your former f/a friend, I had the same thing happen to me too. Not fun... Everybody has opinions and motiviations. I could have remained friends and never discussed our differances, but he couldn't.
I certainly hope everyone starts working together to pull AA back together, especially managment ...what you're all going through certainly can be humbling. That might not be a bad thing.

operaations said:
I admire some of the things you stand for. I do not admire how yall treated the flight attendants that crossed the picket lines to feed their families. Like alot of people say in here when they rant about sick time. Some single parents cant be gone from home that long. Well some single parents could not afford to stay on strike. And I feel for the way you were treated by the APFA.
Are you kidding what about the ones that didn't cross to honer there brother and sisters and could not feed their families. Go back under that rock...........

MiAAmi said:
When over 6000 flight attendants are on furlough you shouldn't need to reassign people. Get the manning you need to do the flights you operate.
...it's hard to get the manning "that you need" if the manning "that you thought you had" calls in sick...or gets stranded due to wx. There are always unknowns and that is why people get reassigned.

operaations said:

I love this company and want it to succeed and want all the people out on lay offs to come back if they so desire. I want us toi get along. We do not have to like eachother but we do have to respect eachother. We have to respect our profession our passengers and our co workers in order to survive. If we keep fighting ourselves and promote and cheer the bad things that one can do we will never recover.

That is all written on emotion and probably makes no sense.

And one more thing. I had a really good friend that was a flight attendant for TWA for 16 years. Once she was furloughed she has refused to talk to me since I am NAATIVE. There are bad apples everywhere. I even went out of my way to travel to STL to teach her and some of her friends flight attendant entries and contract rules before the integration. And that is the thanks I got.
I suppose that you assume that all those FAs walking the line did not have families to feed?

Maybe thats the reason why they struck for better wages?

Did you ever think of that?

Exactly how should a scab be treated?

MiAAmi said:
When over 6000 flight attendants are on furlough you shouldn't need to reassign people. Get the manning you need to do the flights you operate.
Ok MiAAmi, lets try this again.

Very few flights have been canceled over the last few months as a direct result of “crew shortageâ€. Most of the cancellations have been due to the unseasonable weather we have had as well as the outrageously high sick list we have had since Jul 1. It is very difficult to tell if we are understaffed and if so by how much when the sick list in inflated by roughly 50%. So boys and girls, until you stop abusing the sick policy I do not see that you have a leg to stand on. As I said before, for everyone of you who calls in sick, one of you will be reassigned. Yes the sick list will sky rock during the holidays and flights will be canceled. Some of you have been bumped from your holiday vacation and since you feel that you are entitled to off (I guess you missed the part in the hiring speech about being flexible and willing to work weekends, nights and holidays) you will call in sick. I guess we could just tell all the passengers that we just don’t fly on holidays and weekends huh?

The thing is no company bases their staffing on the peaks or the valleys. Staffing is based on the yearly average. We don’t have temp FA’s (hey, there’s a good idea). Any company who runs peak staffing is not one that I will buy stock in because they won’t be around for to long. Any employee who thinks peak staffing is a good idea, is an employee and not a owner for a reason. THEY ARE TO STPUPID. Even before all the lay offs occurred, the holiday staffing always went to crap. We had more FA’s on staff but just as big a percentage of you went sick because you either A. forgot the little hiring speech, B. did not think it applied to you because you are special or C. lied when you said “oh sure, no problem.â€. So, go call in sick. Keep this in mind when you do. When you call in sick, your co worker WILL be reassigned. When you get reassigned, it’s because one of your co-workers called in sick. No I am not saying not to ever call in sick. If your sick, that’s what it is there for. I am referring to those who abuse the sick policy. Also, as you all seem to love reminding everyone. You’re the front line. Piss off a customer, we loose money. We loose money, that’s less of a raise you get when contracts come up for negotiation. Yea yea, the company is evil, management is corrupt and I hope AA dies a anguishing death. Have you looked at the job market lately? Not very pretty. You want to fight management? Go for it. I have learned along time ago not to pick fights I do not have a chance of willing. Find me a multi billion dollar corporation that is run by saints. South west is so great, wish I worked for them. Oh please, last I checked they are being picketed now as well. The economy sucks people. The airlines just got B!tch slapped in the kisser. Things have changed. Productivity is up and pay is down. Don’t like it? Well, drop a few tabs and fine a reality you do like or go to the Catholic church. Oops, can’t go there either for ethics. Bummer. Guess your out of luck.

Right now your work rules suck big time. Thing is, people always want to change stuff when it’s too damn late. The time to save money is when you don’t need it. When you’re in debt up to your eye balls, it’s too damn late. That’s when someone comes in with a chain saw instead of a paring knife and you end up getting your butts handed to you.

The innocent and the poor always hold up the big guys. We are the have nots. Some of us will escape, most will not. No it’s not right but you’ll get an ulcer fighting it. Airline work is not for everyone. It is changing. Either you change with it or get out. We don’t right the rules. The person with the money does, and guess what, we don’t have the money. If an employer can’t get enough people to work for them, then they will change just enough to get what they need. This is the US folks. Money is our god and those how do not worship that god, or at the very least understand that little nuance of Americana are going to be disappointed. NO AMERICAN DOES NOT GIVE A DAMN ABOUT YOUR HAPPYNESS. THEY NEVER WILL. NOT MANY COMPANIES DO. THE FEW THAT SAY THEY CARE ARE PROBABLY LIEING TO YOU. Hate to burst your bubble. BTW, while I’m at it, Santa Clause, tooth fairy, Easter bunny … all lies. Company is here to make more money off of your labor than you do. That’s the way it has to work. If it were the other way around, it would not work. Think about that for a second and get back to me.

American told me when I got hired that I would be making ‘x’ amount an hour for what they wanted me to do. I made the decision to do the job. I have since transferred numerous times and the same thing happened each time. The economy tanked and 9/11 happened. Knock knock .. Hi there Garfield, this is the company. I know we said we were going to pay you ‘x’ for a hour of work but things are really bad now so ‘x’ will be a little less, well ok, A LOT less than it was. I was making great money for what I was doing, now, I’m making OK money for what I am doing. And most of us are in the same boat. No one is paid what they think they are worth. But there are not many of us on the front line who are rocket scientists. That’s why we are where we are. I am paid fairly for what I do. Some folks on the bottom end of the pay scale are probably under paid but not many and not by much.

Bottom line. Either do your job or get the HE!! OUT and find something you like.

I suppose that you assume that all those FAs walking the line did not have families to feed?

Maybe thats the reason why they struck for better wages?

Did you ever think of that?

Exactly how should a scab be treated? [/quote]
OH Please. 60% of the people think Iraq had something to do with 9/11 and yet there is no evidence.

Most of the people in this country are followers. They do what they are told with out question. There were a few who struck on principle but most went on strike because they were told to or because they had no courage to stand up and fight for what they believed in.

Read your history books. Lots of sheep in this world.

Bob, we live in a country where a person is supposed to have the right to choose. If you believe in that, the "scab" as you put it should be treated with dignity and respect. That is their choice. But I guess your union rules to not allow for that. Majority rules, right or wrong. Not willing follow the rest of the sheep, then we will threaten you into submission. Sounds like fascism to me.

That is why I would never join a union. I will not give up my right to dissent and protest for what I believe in.

Garfield1966 said:
Most of the people in this country are followers. They do what they are told with out question. There were a few who struck on principle but most went on strike because they were told to or because they had no courage to stand up and fight for what they believed in.
I dont know of any strikers who simply half heartedly followed. Every last person believed in what needed to be done and how to do it. They did in fact stand up walk out and fight for what they believed in. More power to them.