Would IAM strike?

enilria

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
My understanding of the court process is that the IAM would be free to strike if the judge imposes a settlement unacceptable to the union.
I am not sure, however, under what circumstances the judge could declare strikers in contempt of court. This will be very interesting. As an outsider, I am kind of hoping they don''t reach an agreement and this whole thing fully plays out.
The irony is that the IAM destroyed Eastern and now the IAM could destroy themselves by forcing a court precedent that a judge can throw out an airline labor contract (the first since the Lorenzo law). Virginia bankruptcy court could be a busy place if they take that step.

I think if the company has to go to a judge for an imposition then you will see a liquidation or hostile takeover within 30 days.

No investor in his right mind will loan money if 7,000 mechanics decided to "wildcat' on any particular day.

Could they strike, YES. The weapon isn't necesarily the strike but rather that an 'open' situation would cause a volitile situation for any investor.

A terrible miscalculation by Dave and the IAM regarding the membership.

they can strike if they want but the judge's decision is final and binding so they could be fired....

Question you should be asking is there an undecover movement out there to replace all these mechanics.

And how long will it take to replace the mechanics....what is the cost to outsource maintenance work to other facilities..is this possible....

you people are missing the point. You won't see a strike now and that isn't the worry. The lifeblood and "fuel" for this company is "financing". Not taking care of home will cause this company to be liquidated, I think it will be that simple.

The judge's decision will not affect anything. Even if he agrees wholly with US AIRWAYS, the situation will be'open' and for those who don't know what 'open' means, one thing that it means is that US AIRWAYS isn't holding all the cards.

Maybe the pilots will give some more to appease things. There are a ton of pilots on furlough and I'm sure our pilots wouldn't mind giving a little more to keep the airline running. It's a reasonable solution.

And are the enough management people and guys who will cross the line to keep at least 1 type of fleet flying like back in '92? Ground the Boeings or Ground the Airbus if need be. Wont be pretty, but I'm sure they are gearing up the think tank as we speak. (Isnt that a scary thought? [:bigsmile:] )