Would U Recommend Me Becoming A Flight Attendant?

Hi my name is Jessica and i'm 17! i'll be 18 in april of next year so i know i still have time to decide what i want to do but i've had my mind up for a good few years now (it actually started when i was 7) to becoming a flight attendant!I speak french and english. I just wanted to know from flight attendants or people who have been a flight attendant in their past, what would be your negative points and your positive points on being a flight attendant! I would also like for you to tell me how u got into this business (what kind of diplomes...u had to have to become a flight attendant)because i found this Travel college that teaches you how to become a flight attendant but am not sure that it is worth it since it does cost a pretty good amount of money and some people have told me that you don't need this kind of college to become a flight attendant!
Anyways i hope i'll get an answer from some of you soon!!!! :D
Jessica :up:

Attachments

• DSCN0337.JPG
    DSCN0337.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 215
Most airlines have a minimum hiring age of 20 so you've got a couple of years before you are ready to start applying. In the meantime...go to college and get a degree. I'm talking about "regular" college, not a Travel College or Academy which are a complete waste of money. All airlines require you to complete their own training program. Your money would be much better spent on a degree at state school or junior college. College will give you valuable life experience and more importantly something to fall back on. The airline industry is among the most volatile and unpredictable you could get into. The only constant is change and there is no such thing as job security. I encourage you to read some of the posts in US Airways and United Airlines threads on this message board. You will find stories of hardworking people who have dedicated decades to their companies only to be faced with the prospect of losing everything because their airlines are in financial trouble. Look 15 or 20 years into the future and imagine yourself in the same position, with a home, a family and all of the responsibility that comes with that....and you have no other training or education to fall back when your airline career abrubtly comes to an end. Pretty scary stuff. Finish your education...then become a flight attendant. While you are in school try to find jobs that will give you a solid Customer Service background...retail sales, waiting tables, museum tour guide...anything that puts you in contact with people in a "helping" capacity.

If you want to do further research into the Flight Attendant career I recommend www.flightattendants.org

SWAFA30 - This is good advise, although not a flight attendant I've in the industry for many years too. Yes it is frustrating. You know? We are like trees that show the scars of past storms. But there will always be a generation of young ones rising up to the challenge! So, Jessica 87, press on. listen to SWAFA30 and heed the advise, go with your eyes and ears wide open. This is an industry of risk takers. There will be good and bad moments, hopefully the good ones will be worth the adventure. Save for the winter!

I agree with everything that SWAFA30 said. Another advantage of getting a college degree is that it might actually help you in a flight attendant career. Everything else being equal, most airlines will pick a college graduate over a high school graduate anytime.

Having a college degree is (or at least should be) an indication that you know how to think for yourself and to reason through problems. Being a flight attendant is probably the most unsupervised non-management job in the world. You will spend your days at 30,000 feet in various places around the U.S. and possibly the world. Your immediate supervisor will be at a desk back at your home base. I have a friend who flys for ATA. He is currently on a 7-day trip to Shannon, Ireland- Kuwait-Bucharest, Romania-London, England. His supervisor is in Indianapolis, Ind. In an emergency or when a problem arises, he can't run to his supervisor for advice. He has to be able to handle the problem himself.

Do NOT waste your money on any school which promises to train you as a flight attendant. Every airline has it's own training program which is approved and overseen by the FAA. To work for that airline, you have to go through its training program which vary in length from 4-6 weeks depending on which airline it is. An airline, such as Southwest, which flies only 1 type of airplane usually has a somewhat shorter training period. AA which has 5 types of a/c just in its domestic fleet has a longer training period.

Make sure that you hone your French language skills as much as you can. I know that the test for language speakers at American Airlines is very difficult, and it is idiomatic, not just textbook stuff. They use a lot of what I guess you would call slang and everyday expressions to make sure that you can communicate with the average French speaking passenger. However, don't assume that being able to speak French will automatically get you an assignment in the International flying for an airline. International is considered a perk of the job at most airlines that fly outside the U.S., and jobs are awarded based on seniority.

Be aware that unless you want to fly for one of the domestic low-cost carriers, such as Southwest, Frontier, Airtran, or JetBlue, it is going to be awhile--several years, in fact--before there is any new hiring of flight attendants. Most of the major airlines, such as my airline (AA), have 1,000's of flight attendants on furlough right now. At AA, it is over 5300 flight attendants. Under our contract, AA can not hire any new flight attendants until all of us who are on furlough are offered a chance to return to work or our recall rights expire. The last group of us furloughed do not lose our recall rights until June 30, 2008. (Another use for that college degree. It will help you find a job during layoffs from the airline. :lol: )

All that being said, go for it. I'm 59 years old. I started flying just 4 years ago. I have a Liberal Arts undergraduate degree. I worked in the oil industry for many years as a computer systems analyst and consultant. I love being a flight attendant and can't wait to be recalled to work (for me, it will probably happen before the end of this year). And, I will tell you that you will know very quickly if you have picked the right career; so, you won't lose that much time if after doing it for awhile you decide that being a flight attendant is not what you want. And, that's where the usefulness of that college degree kicks in again. :p

well thank you all very much for your help! :D I'll look forward to gettin my college degree. :up: Right now i'm just passing some exams to get my high school diploma since i finished my last two years of high school in france and it isn't the same diploma! Anyways one of you said that i had to have a pretty high level in french to satisfy the companies well i don't think i'll have much of a problem with that because i've been hearing and speaking french since i was born and am fluent in both english and french.
Anyways now to get back on the college degree,would u say a 2year college degree is enough or do i really need the 4year college? I'm askin this because i've only been back here in the states for a month now and am still pretty lost with how the educational system works here after high school.
Thank you all again for your help!!

Sincerly,
Jessica
;)

Jessica87,

I'm glad to see you're doing some research about this career.

I am a former AA flight attendant, now a captain at another airline. While at AA, the biggest benefit was having time off to pursue something else. Others have responded saying you should get your degree. They are absolutely right!!! If I didn't have my bachelor's degree, I couldn't have completed a reserve military career and wouldn't be where I am now.

Of the former co-workers I remember most, the happiest were the ones who had something else in their lives besides their flight attendant career. I know one former AA F/A who is now an attorney for the INS in California. I know others who have catering companies. I know about a dozen who, like me, had reserve military careers.

Those flight attendants who had nothing else except their flight attendant careers were among the most miserable people I ever met. These people lived, ate, breathed American Airlines (or United, USAirways, etc.) and had nothing else going for them, and did nothing else outside their jobs.

The point of all this is don't let your career as a flight attendant (or anything else!) be the driving force in your life. If you do, you may regret it.

So far as the job is concerned, be prepared to spend time away from home and family during the holidays. That part will change as you become more senior and can choose the days you want to fly. Be prepared for trips which layover in San Diego the first night, then Buffalo the next night...in the middle of January! Be prepared to deal with passengers who think because they are frequent fliers, they know more about your job than you do.

Your flight attendant career will enable you to do a lot. Take the initiative and make it work for you, not the other way around.

Good luck...fly safe!

P.S. - the airline lifestyle is addictive!

Jessica87 said:
well thank you all very much for your help! :D I'll look forward to gettin my college degree. :up: Right now i'm just passing some exams to get my high school diploma since i finished my last two years of high school in france and it isn't the same diploma! Anyways one of you said that i had to have a pretty high level in french to satisfy the companies well i don't think i'll have much of a problem with that because i've been hearing and speaking french since i was born and am fluent in both english and french.
Anyways now to get back on the college degree,would u say a 2year college degree is enough or do i really need the 4year college? I'm askin this because i've only been back here in the states for a month now and am still pretty lost with how the educational system works here after high school.
Thank you all again for your help!!

Sincerly,
Jessica
;)
You didn't mention in your first post that you grew up speaking French. Well, of course, you speak idiomatic French, but you would be surprised how many people in this country think the U.S. high school "La plume de ma tante est sur la table" French is all they need. (Is "est" correct? I get my written French and Spanish mixed at times.)

If you can afford it and a 4 year degree is offered in your area of interest (other than flight attendant), by all means go for the 4 year degree. It really does make a difference when job hunting.

It just occurred to me...Do you hold dual citizenship? If so, you might be eligible to apply with the airlines in Europe! As I understand it, they are now fairly flexible within the EU as to which country in Europe is the citizenship base of the applicant. However, if you are strictly a U.S. citizen, you have to get permission to work in an EU country--not a permission normally granted.

I agree with all that has been said here. One more thing I didn't see and that is if you get a part time job, it might help to have customer service experience. The classier the job, the better it will look. For example, a concierge (or assistant) would look better on a resume then a waitress.

Good luck. You will either love the job or hate it. Most of us love it.

You didn't mention in your first post that you grew up speaking French. Well, of course, you speak idiomatic French, but you would be surprised how many people in this country think the U.S. high school "La plume de ma tante est sur la table" French is all they need. (Is "est" correct? I get my written French and Spanish mixed at times.)

If you can afford it and a 4 year degree is offered in your area of interest (other than flight attendant), by all means go for the 4 year degree. It really does make a difference when job hunting.

It just occurred to me...Do you hold dual citizenship? If so, you might be eligible to apply with the airlines in Europe! As I understand it, they are now fairly flexible within the EU as to which country in Europe is the citizenship base of the applicant. However, if you are strictly a U.S. citizen, you have to get permission to work in an EU country--not a permission normally granted.

--------------------

Jim
AA F/A furloughed 02JUL03

You just caught my attention with the "being eligible to apply with the airlines in Europe"! Actually i do have dual citizenship (french and american) and i have been wondering for a while now if it would ever be possible for me to work for an europeen airline company or simply for an american company and being based in france (for example). My first question here though is "would i be able to work for a french airline company with only my american diplomas or would i have to get some french diplomas?" because i know that people who live in france and who want to become a flight attendant automatically need the BAC (it's a french exam you pass at the end of high school, which i didn't pass because i left right before it).
My second question is "has it ever happened for an american airline company to base one of their flight attendants in another country if he or she has the nationality of that country?" i know this might be a dumb question to ask but was just wondering if that was a possibility.
Thank you again for all your help because it has really helped me in answering my questions!!!

Sincerly,
Jessica

PS:Your sentence "La plume de ma tante est sur la table" is perfectly written!!! :up:

Jessica87 said:
You just caught my attention with the "being eligible to apply with the airlines in Europe"! Actually i do have dual citizenship (french and american) and i have been wondering for a while now if it would ever be possible for me to work for an europeen airline company or simply for an american company and being based in france (for example). My first question here though is "would i be able to work for a french airline company with only my american diplomas or would i have to get some french diplomas?" because i know that people who live in france and who want to become a flight attendant automatically need the BAC (it's a french exam you pass at the end of high school, which i didn't pass because i left right before it).
My second question is "has it ever happened for an american airline company to base one of their flight attendants in another country if he or she has the nationality of that country?" i know this might be a dumb question to ask but was just wondering if that was a possibility.
Thank you again for all your help because it has really helped me in answering my questions!!!

Sincerly,
Jessica

PS:Your sentence "La plume de ma tante est sur la table" is perfectly written!!! :up:
You would have to contact Air France or other European airline regarding their educational/licensure requirements. Like the U.S., I would imagine that it varies from country to country. My point was that with the creation of the EU, it might be possible for a French citizen to work for Lufthansa, Alitalia, or British Airways, as well as Air France; but, I don't know that for sure.

At the time that Pan Am and TWA were the only U.S. flag airlines flying International routes, I believe that they did have foreign bases staffed by U.S. citizens. I don't think any of the current U.S. airlines flying International routes continue to do that. Some do have foreign bases, but I believe they are staffed by citizens of the domicile country. I may be wrong, but I think United had foreign-based flight attendants who were U.S. citizens up until shortly after 9/11, but closed those bases in a cost-cutting move.

G’day Jessica, and other readers!

I only came across this website about an hour ago and it is excellent! I was going to start a posting on another topic, but I’ll get back to that later.

Regarding your career, any Uni/college qualifications are good. I’m not familiar with the USA education system (I’m Australian) but certainly a 4-year is better than a 2-year course. Being 17 still you would still graduate by the time you are 21 so if the minimum hiring age for flight attendants is 20, that’s all good! I know that at your age four years is a long time – when I was your age facing a four-year degree looked like eternity, but now, six years later it seemed like it those years took a few months!

Go to a good college because I assume in the US there is a certain level of prestige with the “right†colleges. Where you went to college and how far you got is always something employers will look at, plus it might help you find a backup career if the airline industry stays looking sick. And as a few people have said already, look for work in the hospitality industry too because that would surely be looked on favourably by future employers. Suitable work experience is very important in any job, so make the most of it now!

Your dual language skills are also invaluable for getting jobs, and if you have mastered these two, consider maybe picking up a third language since obviously you have pretty good language abilities. Consider focussing on another language when in college.

Of course, a few years of college might completely change your career goals too, and there is nothing wrong with that either!

All the best! Follow your dreams! The sky is the limit!!!

Jim

Well thank you all again for all the help you've all provided me with! I'm real glad that i found this website and have had the possibility to get some advices from you F/A professionals! I have had more answers to my questions here on this website in 2 days than i have had in many months by "outside" people! I have decided based on what u have all advised me to do to go get a college degree (and even try gettin a 4 year college degree) in a regular college and not waste my money on a travel college (which i would probably have done if you hadn't helped me out!) and while i'll be going to college,try to find myself a job that has a lot of contacts with other people! On top of that you are all right when u say that i am still only 17 and that i still have time,considering that most airlines minimum hiring age is 20. Another main thing is that right now the aviation industry isn't working too well and waiting a couple of years before getting into it could be a good thing because in a couple of years this industry might start working better (hopefully)and it may permit me to have open doors to more different airline companies! Although i am ready (and have been for a while now) and anxious to get into adventurous world of F/As, there is a sayin "patience pays off"!

So once again thank you all for your time and real good help you have all given me!!! Thanks to you all i'll be able to avoid taking the wrong and wasting roads to the airport that'll hold my job as a F/A! :up:

Jessica

Jessica,

Bienvenue...

I would agree with the gist of the posts here. (I am a UA F/A.) However I would also point out that I am afraid the future of the F/A job is pretty dismal. I see pay and working conditions, both at US and European airlines, on an inexorable downward spiral. DEFINITELY go after the four-year degree so you have a good starting point if you decide it is not the job for you after trying it for a while.

A word about US airlines with European bases... at United we still have bases in London, Paris, and Frankfurt (and also in Asia at Tokyo and Hong Kong. Taipei and Santiago (Chile) have both closed since 9/11). Both Americans and non-Americans are based at these locations. I believe UA are the only US carrier to maintain bases outside the US. With the Paris base, there are restrictions on how long Americans can be based there due to French immigration law, but if you have an EU passport you would have no such restrictions.

The best source of info I have seen about European F/A positions is the forum at www.pprune.org. There is a cabin crew forum that is mostly frequented by European (mainly British) (and also some Australian) F/As who could probably answer your questions about being a F/A at a European airline.

Good luck...

Bear96 said:
However I would also point out that I am afraid the future of the F/A job is pretty dismal. I see pay and working conditions, both at US and European airlines, on an inexorable downward spiral.
You forgot to mention that the glamor of the job is, by and large, gone.

Jessica,

I am a US Airways flight attendant. I just want to say that you have gotten some excellent advice here, but I would like to add some things just as food for thought.

You have an excellent foundation so far to become a French-English translator, both orally and for documents. If you have a real interest in translation, discuss this with a career counselor at your local community college (they are usually better versed than high school career counselors). Learn what is required in terms of education, building your French skills, pay, job outlook, etc. There are also translation agencies which hire translators on a per-job basis, for instance, to translate legal documents or to go to court to translate testimony. Try to locate some of these agencies and see if the owner will spend a few minutes with you to describe the job, the requirements, the pay, and answer any quesions you may have (be prepared with a list of questions before you arrive).

I am telling you this because it is a job you can do in conjuction with your flight attendant career. For example, if you have documents you are translating, you can take them with you on a trip and work on them with your laptop in your hotel room. Flight attendants don't make very much money in the beginning, so supplementing your income as a freelance translater may be the way for you to go.

It sounds like your French skills are excellent already, so you may think about taking some classes in an additonal language or two. Talk to a college French professor and ask what languages they would suggest you learn next. That may also be a question to ask a translation agency owner. If you do learn a third language, think about spending summers in a country where that is their primary language. For instance, in you learn Spanish, spend your first college summer in Spain, and your second in Chile. See about rooming with other college students who live there so you can pick up the conversational aspects of the language to become fluent. You'll also meet lots of people from around the world and make lifelong friendships. You're young, so enjoy your ability to travel and immerse yourself in foreign culture while you can.

Choose a university which has an excellent foreign language reputation. If you don't qualify for admission right away, think about a community college for a couple of years (or to save tuition money) and then transfer to the university. But by all means learn the transfer requirements of your top three universities before you take a community college class.

Make college your priority now. There is always time for a flight attendant career, but you will look much better to an international carrier if you have a degree, work experience, and extensive, multiple foreign language skills.

The international carriers (US Airways, United, Delta, American, Northwest, and Continental) probably won't be hiring flight attendants for at least a couple of years. Use this time to gain solid footing in your life.

One last thing, do everything you can to maintain dual citizenship. It may come in very handy in this career or others.

Best of luck to you.