Would You Believe!

phllax

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Los Angeles
Would you believe that US is the current #3 airline to Europe from the US in terms of destinations served! Of course it''s only a dozen flights a day to 10 destinations. I thought for sure AA would have more destinations (I am sure they did). Here''s the current ranking.

DL with 20
CO with 16 (including TLV)
US with 10 (including seasonal SNN & DUB)
AA with 9 (including seasonal FCO and GLA)
UA with 6
NW with 5

Too bad it won''t last once U joins Star Alliance. I have seen lots of postings here from U employees about how great it will be to join *A-- maybe-- but then watch your European destinations disappear as passengers are routed through FRA on LH to their final destinations (or via other *A hubs).

Not too long ago UA served ZRH, MAD, GLA, FCO, MXP, DUS. Also UA announced IAD-CPH a couple of years ago-- it never got off the ground-- oops look now SK (SAS) does it through *A instead! Now we''re down to only six European destinations at UA.

NW only serves 5, and only 4 of those are year-round. AMS, LGW, CDG, and FRA run year round. FCO is seasonal only service now (but I don''t even see it in service at the beginning of June, so it may not run this year). MAD has been dropped...

I don''t think US will drop service to any European destinations when they join the *Alliance. Only Rome and Munich are East of FRA, and I don''t see them giving up service to those two cities.

----------------
On 5/16/2003 7:35:49 PM phllax wrote:

I don''t think US will drop service to any European destinations when they join the *Alliance. Only Rome and Munich are East of FRA, and I don''t see them giving up service to those two cities.

----------------​

I would speculate that when US becomes a member of the * alliance, it would make sense (economical and logical) to drop some European destinations, but increase service to FRA. US could well become like NW - keep their presence in LGW and CDG and increase the frequency to FRA (sort of like the multiple daily departures NW/KL have from DTW/MSP to AMS).

Back