Wright Amendment Big Step Forward

Before you put down deposit money for the band to play for dancing in the streets...

U.S. Sens. James M. Inhofe (R-Okla.) and Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), introduced the "True Competition Act" in Washington, D.C., yesterday -- a bill that calls for the closure of Love Field in three years. The bill was filed after Sen. John Ensign's (R-Nev) filed a bill to overturn the Wright amendment.

As I understand it, Inhofe's bill allows private aircraft and air freight, but no commercial flights, at Love at the end of 3 years.

jimntx said:
Before you put down deposit money for the band to play for dancing in the streets...
U.S. Sens. James M. Inhofe (R-Okla.) and Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), introduced the "True Competition Act" in Washington, D.C., yesterday -- a bill that calls for the closure of Love Field in three years. The bill was filed after Sen. John Ensign's (R-Nev) filed a bill to overturn the Wright amendment.

As I understand it, Inhofe's bill allows private aircraft and air freight, but no commercial flights, at Love at the end of 3 years.
[post="282921"][/post]​

That bill is DOA. If Congress closes Love Field, Southwest will move its corporate headquarters from Dallas the day the bill passes and drop service in Dallas completely.

jimntx said:

[post="282921"][/post]​
Meanwhile back at the ranch...as I mentioned earlier, Senator Kit Bond of Missouri has introduced a bill that will amend the WA to include Missouri...MCI and STL. Looks like the WA is being attacked from everywhere.

luver41 said:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

luver41,

You "may" want to rethink your jubilation, with regard to tom DE-LAY.
WHY,

There is a Large(and growing larger) STINK cloud, that follows tom DE-LAY, thanks to a lot of shady deals, mr DE-LAY has been involved in lately. And It's not only Democrats that are talking about it !

So as far as "rejoicing" over a "plug" from mr. DE-LAY, "Be careful what you wish for" !!!

NH/BB's

NewHampshire Black Bears said:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

luver41,

You "may" want to rethink your jubilation, with regard to tom DE-LAY.
WHY,

There is a Large(and growing larger) STINK cloud, that follows tom DE-LAY, thanks to a lot of shady deals, mr DE-LAY has been involved in lately. And It's not only Democrats that are talking about it !

So as far as "rejoicing" over a "plug" from mr. DE-LAY, "Be careful what you wish for" !!!

NH/BB's
[post="282943"][/post]​
NHBB - my thoughts exactly.

luver41 said:
That bill is DOA. If Congress closes Love Field, Southwest will move its corporate headquarters from Dallas the day the bill passes and drop service in Dallas completely.
[post="282923"][/post]​

And you think a Senator from Oklahoma and a Senator from Iowa care what happens in/to Dallas because...???? :lol:

jimntx said:

[post="282921"][/post]​

Actually this is an attempt to put the unenforceable and illegal provisions of the 1968 Regional Airport Concurrent Bond Ordinance into a FEDERAL law. It has the fingerprints of Joe Barton, Kay "Baby" Hutchison and Kay Granger all over it but they had to get someone from out of state to do their bidding so they don't look to be "anti Dallas" come election time. :down: :down: :down:

This bill probably won't pass based on the emphasis of reducing FEDERAL regulation of the free market system. Amazingly, however, in politics you never know what stink will fly til you try!

I believe that if SWA was forced to move from Love Field they'd be more likely to move elsewhere. A possible location might be the Collin County Regional Airport at McKinney. While it's current runway is only 7,000 ft (still longer than Chicago Midway!) there's a brand new 8,000 x 150 runway getting ready for construction. For ground access it's right at the convergence of US75, US380 and TX121 on the Northeast corner of the metroplex. Many corporations have moved their corporate aircraft fleets from Love Field to TKI to avoid traffic inside the LBJ loop including Texas Instruments and EDS.

While it would take a major capital expenditure to get the airport "airline ready" Collin County has the money, the corporate backing (Legacy Business park in Plano is the HQ of several Fortune 500's) and the ability to "get it done." (The TKI airport manager was formerly the director of Aviation for the State of Virginia so the knowledge of how to proceed is at hand.)

jimntx said:

[post="282921"][/post]​
Time to close TUL, OKC and send all the extra planes to PHL.

You "may" want to rethink your jubilation, with regard to tom DE-LAY. There is a Large(and growing larger) STINK cloud, that follows tom DE-LAY, thanks to a lot of shady deals, mr DE-LAY has been involved in lately. And It's not only Democrats that are talking about it !

I'm in perfect agreement with you about Tom DE-LAY. He's a poster child for what's gone wrong with the political process in America. Personally, I'm a yellow dog, if you know what that means.

Nevertheless, having worked for 20 years in legislative body myself, the power of the majority floor leader lies in there ability to control what legislation comes to the floor for a vote and his ability to swap favors for votes. In many repects the floor leader is more powerful than the speaker, because he controls the flow of legislation to the floor. If the floor leader refuses to call a bill for a floor vote, the bill is dead.

While I'm not a DeLay fan, I stand by the statement that this is a huge step forward for the anti-Wright amendment movement.

corl737 said:
Actually this is an attempt to put the unenforceable and illegal provisions of the 1968 Regional Airport Concurrent Bond Ordinance into a FEDERAL law. It has the fingerprints of Joe Barton, Kay "Baby" Hutchison and Kay Granger all over it but they had to get someone from out of state to do their bidding so they don't look to be "anti Dallas" come election time. :down: :down: :down:

This bill probably won't pass based on the emphasis of reducing FEDERAL regulation of the free market system. Amazingly, however, in politics you never know what stink will fly til you try!

I believe that if SWA was forced to move from Love Field they'd be more likely to move elsewhere. A possible location might be the Collin County Regional Airport at McKinney. While it's current runway is only 7,000 ft (still longer than Chicago Midway!) there's a brand new 8,000 x 150 runway getting ready for construction. For ground access it's right at the convergence of US75, US380 and TX121 on the Northeast corner of the metroplex. Many corporations have moved their corporate aircraft fleets from Love Field to TKI to avoid traffic inside the LBJ loop including Texas Instruments and EDS.

While it would take a major capital expenditure to get the airport "airline ready" Collin County has the money, the corporate backing (Legacy Business park in Plano is the HQ of several Fortune 500's) and the ability to "get it done." (The TKI airport manager was formerly the director of Aviation for the State of Virginia so the knowledge of how to proceed is at hand.)
[post="282976"][/post]​

So much for the arguments that DFW too inconvenient!

JS said:
So much for the arguments that DFW too inconvenient!
[post="283407"][/post]​
If Love Field is closed and SWA wants to stay in the Dallas market, ANYWHERE is inconvenient!

In addition to TKI, perhaps the old Hensley Field is an option. (I just read that Vought has arranged to have it's runway reopened to receive air shipments for their factory.) The bottom line is that neither of these airports is specified as being restricted by either the Wright Amendment or the 1968 Regional Airport Concurrent Bond Ordinance.

Of course, a simple name change for Love Field might be all that is needed to eliminate the entire issue since the restrictions are placed on the airport "by name," not by geographical coordinates! (Can you say "loophole?" :p )

Hmmm, Dallas-Kelleher International? :up:

RowUnderDCA said:
McKinney isn't federally certificated for commercial service and the residents of "Fairview" would go nuclear in their INSANE battle against any activity at that airport.
[post="283489"][/post]​
I'm extremely aware of politics at TKI and know most of the "players" on both sides of that airport's expansion issues. The airport has just recently finished an updated master plan that does not include part 139 certification. However, just because TKI doesn't plan to be certified under Part 139 now doesn't mean that it can't be given the right circumstances (aka $).

Yes, the odds are extremely remote that anything would come of talk to move SWA operations to TKI. However, what the mention of it would do is energize a very active part of the local population to support the Wright Amendment repeal just to prevent SWA from talking about moving to TKI. (It's the proverbial "shot across the bow"!)

What's more important about this idea, however, is to let egocentric DFW parties know that they aren't the only alternative in town! Every day Fort Worth's Alliance Airport siphons off freight revenue that could (should?) go to DFW. The need to realize that Southwest could legally do the same with passenger traffic at any other metroplex airport not itemized in the '68 Bond Ordinance that fits their operations ... and they aren't shy about upgrading airports if necessary!

(Do you know who controls Hensley Field now? Is the Millenium Dallas Partnership still running it or did it revert to the control of someone else when MDP had financial problems.)

Latest posts