Southwest to buy someone?

I swear, that airline is gonna BURY us.

Let them get a smaller airline, and merge the workforce properly, I hope he puts Doug and Co. to shame when they do it right.

Maybe they can talk Parker in fragmenting off the east.....SWAPA will have no problem agreeing to furlough by DOH, and I'm sure they'll cheerfully place the east F/O's ahead of all their
7- year "rookie" captains.

At some point, I think we'll probably acquire somebody. That's just a reflection of my view that the industry is weak and that there'll be players up for sale, probably in a fire-sale mode, and we'll want to at least be thoughtful about that. We'll still have all the considerations – the fleet, the labor contracts, the seniority issues, the cost implications of it, the cultural aspects of trying to bring two work groups together and on and on and on.
:rolleyes:

I could see them going after either FL (what a grand way to enter the ATL market) that would give them option of adding either a 2nd fleet type, the 717 which is by all accounts a great aircraft or they could get rid of them over the course of time but I think it would allow WN to service smaller cities that cannot justify the 737; FL has a really new fleet. They could also approach SY but I believe they are privately held, it would give them some more 737's and a decent sized hub in MSP which is also missing from their route map. SY has a lot of international (carribean and Mexico) routes but i believe they are mostly seasonal.

I'd be suprised if they bought out NK or U5 because of no common fleet type with WN. Also they could get involved in picking off the pieces of any other Merger that goes down. They said they were interested in the US/DL merger and would have bought any assets to get govermental approval.

They could also approach SY but I believe they are privately held, it would give them some more 737's and a decent sized hub in MSP which is also missing from their route map.

was morris air privately held when WN bought them out, res? (me thinking aloud...) things that make me go hmmm...

I'm not "res", but to answer your Mo Air question, yes, they were privately held.

June Morris was quietly shopping the airline around anyway, she was getting older and ill and no longer wanted to run it. She may have even approached SWA instead of the other way around. SWA made her a very good offer including stock options, which, at the time, was very lucrative for her.

June Morris was quietly shopping the airline around anyway, she was getting older and ill and no longer wanted to run it. She may have even approached SWA instead of the other way around. SWA made her a very good offer including stock options, which, at the time, was very lucrative for her.
Wasn't Neeleman at Morris Air? I thought that's how he made most of his money before starting B6? I'd guess they made sure he signed a non-compete clause and stayed out of the airline biz a few years.

Latest posts

Back