Congress Repeals Wright

.........there ya go. THREE TEXAS COMPANIES now have control over Love field. How so? Shrinking GATE SPACE.

Since one Georgia company (Delta/ASA) pulled out and nobody else has been knocking on the door begging to be let in I see nothing wrong with letting the three carriers that desire to be there craft a mutually acceptable agreement.

Since one Georgia company (Delta/ASA) pulled out and nobody else has been knocking on the door begging to be let in I see nothing wrong with letting the three carriers that desire to be there craft a mutually acceptable agreement.

FORT WORTH - Northwest Airlines Corp. and JetBlue Airways Corp. are objecting to a deal before Congress that would reduce the size of Love Field in exchange for eventually allowing long-haul flights from the Dallas airport.

The carriers say the agreement would lock new competitors out of Love Field.

JetBlue, which announced Tuesday it will operate flights to Houston Hobby Airport, said it is interested in serving Love Field but not nearby Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. Executives of the airline said they plan to fight the Texas deal in Congress and will complain to the Federal Aviation Administration.

"This is an anti-competitive deal that was put together by two carriers in a backroom," Robert Land, a JetBlue senior vice president, told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "JetBlue would like to serve Dallas at Love Field, but under this, we wouldn't be able to get any gates. Nobody would."

"This is an anti-competitive deal that was put together by two carriers in a backroom," Robert Land, a JetBlue senior vice president, told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "JetBlue would like to serve Dallas at Love Field, but under this, we wouldn't be able to get any gates. Nobody would."

But there was nary a peep out of jetBlue (or NW) about any desire to serve DAL before this deal was worked out...

But there was nary a peep out of jetBlue (or NW) about any desire to serve DAL before this deal was worked out...
QUite true...I think that they were letting Southwest spend their money fighting it and they'd reap the rewards. Now it means that if JetBlue and Northwest are really serious about serving DAL, they can put their own money where their mouth is. Pretty shrewd move on the part of SWA and AA if you ask me.

Can we expect any of these following routes in the near future, maybe by Spring/07:
Love--St. Louis--Midway, Love--Albuquerque--Las Vegas, Love--New Orleans--Orlando.
Anyone have any suggestions or comments?

QUite true...I think that they were letting Southwest spend their money fighting it and they'd reap the rewards. Now it means that if JetBlue and Northwest are really serious about serving DAL, they can put their own money where their mouth is. Pretty shrewd move on the part of SWA and AA if you ask me.

LOL, like getting rid of the Wright Amendment was ONLY supposed to benefit, uhhhhh, Southwest? Well, NOW IT DOES with the anticompetitive move of REMOVING AND LIMITING GATE SPACE.

Don't have a dog in this fight but just wondering:
Shouldn't WN have to surrender DAL gates and slots to other airlines to foster "low fare" competition? I think it would be illegal to allow a monopoly and restrict competition thereby harming the taxpayers of the great state of Texas.
WN may have shot themselves in the foot over this in the long run.
I can see a lawsuit now...
(Of course, Texas politics trumps common sense.)

LOL, like getting rid of the Wright Amendment was ONLY supposed to benefit, uhhhhh, Southwest? Well, NOW IT DOES with the anticompetitive move of REMOVING AND LIMITING GATE SPACE.

Gate space is not limited in the Dallas market. There is plenty of available gate space at DFW. DFW and Love serve the SAME MARKET.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Very well put, KC Flyer !!

I've "got to laugh". ......... I've been "spouting" on here for years, not to "read(too much)" into the (supposed) HATRED, between WN and AA.
These "two" have been neighbors in TEX-A$$ for years, and to no ones surprise(especially mine), they "surprisingly" come up with this "BACK ROOM DEAL" :rolleyes: :rolleyes.

NH/BB's

And the problem is?

you spent BIG BUCKS and all your political connections to do what?...get rid of the "limitations" the Wright Amendment does to your airline. But, this new agreement LIMITS the ability for other airlines to operate from Love. And, that's not anti-competitive??????

Latest posts