5TH week vacation coming back?

That is correct. But that has more to do with the management at NWA then the employees. I for one understand the hesitance of NW people to embrace the DL culture. It is to say too good to be true. Nothing is perfect and safeguards are always a good thing.For me a written working agreement signed by both management and the employees would be helpful.It will take many more years for NW people to realize the difference between the two cultures. You must realize that their fear is that the culture could change and all of a sudden management/labor relations are adversarial and they have no protection.That is why I believe written agreements would be a great management tool.You notice I did not say that a union would be the answer.That is up to the group.

Reactions: 1 person
You know what's nice? Being able to ELECT a representative that can/will enforce a legally binding CBA. Know what else is cool? Being able to recall them when it doesn't work out.

Meto--

Just curious; can the company remove your elected reps at any time without recourse? 

Can they then appoint a replacement without any say from the rank and file? 

Did you know both are possible under our ersatz version of representation?

you could elect reps... you just have to convince enough people to believe it is worth having a union that for other legacy airlines has resulted in far worse pay, benefits, and the number of working locations as DL employees have.

DL employees have continued to find no value in increased unionization. IOW, they aren't buying what you are selling. Your efforts are futile.

keep working at it.

maybe by the time you retire, you'll be able to convince enough people to take the union plunge.

BTW, meto, it takes two to tango. It was AMFA who decided to push NW mgmt. who decided to bite back. AMFA made the huge miscalculation.

NW was hell bent on breaking AMFA.

It was NW that provoked and caused what happened.

They wanted to cut at least 50% of the workforce and gut their pay, work rules and benefits.

WorldTraveler said:
you could elect reps... 

Did you read what I asked of Metopower? Sure we can elect FIT reps. That's nice, until you remember that they are explicitly banned from advocating for work rules/pay/benefits/ or discipline issues. Furthermore, what's the point when mgmt. can simply remove them at will?

While I'm at it, what's the point of CRP if the company decides whether or not it's an available option to an affected employee. 

Both are nothing more than false fronts designed to present a mirage of worker empowerment.

You may think working for change is "futile," but luckily for everyone there's lots of "actual DL employees" in ACS and IFS that disagree. 

P.S. Your recounting of what happened with AMFA at NW is at best revisionist history.

I guess the company could fire that person for cause and that would effectively accomplish both but to what benefit. Just as doing that to the employee reps .would expose management to untold damage. I understand what you are saying. Has that ever happened? And how are these reps selected ?

WorldTraveler said:
you could elect reps... you just have to convince enough people to believe it is worth having a union that for other legacy airlines has resulted in far worse pay, benefits, and the number of working locations as DL employees have.DL employees have continued to find no value in increased unionization. IOW, they aren't buying what you are selling. Your efforts are futile.keep working at it.maybe by the time you retire, you'll be able to convince enough people to take the union plunge.BTW, meto, it takes two to tango. It was AMFA who decided to push NW mgmt. who decided to bite back. AMFA made the huge miscalculation.
It's the company's prerogative. It wasn't AMFA who pushed the company to do that, it's what NW wanted all along. Funny how you say DL and WN employees enjoy their great pay/benefits because of the company and how they choose to treat the employees, yet here you fault the union. Whatever fits your narrative, I guess.

700UW said:
NW was hell bent on breaking AMFA.

It was NW that provoked and caused what happened.

They wanted to cut at least 50% of the workforce and gut their pay, work rules and benefits.
What you say is right. Why did it take so long for you to realize it? You go blaming AMFA for what happened, yet here you actually say the truth- and that is that the company was going to break them no matter what. So, it must've not been AMFA's fault- unlike what you post on AA and US forums.

you could elect UNION reps, Kev.
All you have to do is convince 50% of the people who work at DL in any workgroup that a union rep could add value to the process.

They don't believe it.

No one cares about whatever structures DL puts in place to give employees a "voice" when DL peers who do supposedly have a voice are voting to cut jobs by the thousands and eliminate cities that the company must staff as well as increase part-time workers and all of the other things that you say are the very reason that DL employees need a union.

Your union pals including 700 are the worst advertisement the union movement could come up.

The fact that DL was able to push thru a cost-neutral contract to the pilots who are still the highest paid among US carriers shows DL knows what it needs to do to obtain the labor costs it needs, even though it is paying its employees across the board well above their peers - and despite all the rhetoric you post on here, unions are no closer to winning an election at DL than they were in the month when DL succeeded at removing 30K NW employees from union membership.

And you are the worst cheerleader for the non-union, pro-management group, your rants last week prove that.

And its only 50% for cards signed to call for an election, but when a vote happens its only 50% of the votes cast.

Don't worry for every disgruntled peep at DTW and MSP, there are happy pro DL employees at ATL, NYC, SLC, and other strong PM-DL markets. DL was smart to wind down the PM-NW call centers, effectively gut MEM, and as Kev claims running MSP with a skeleton crew. DL will remain neutral in any election to the extent required by law but they won't let the IAM take over without a fight.

Josh

Reactions: 3 people
Nice attempt at divide and conquer Josh, but  life at the combined carrier isn't anywhere near that binary 

Most of the ardent labor activists I know are also some of the most "up" people you'd ever meet, and take pride in delivering superior performance. Don't know 'bout you, but I like being around highly skilled, career-minded coworkers. 

OTOH, some of the most vicious (and lazy) people I've come across also happen to be the most spiral-eyed Kool-Aid drinkers out there. If they're content with aiming for mediocrity, so be it. The rest of us are moving forward w/o (or despite) them.

no one is dividing and conquering except those PMNW people who want to keep holding onto the past.

DL employees- in total - have unanimously said they want to put the past behind including NW's confrontational practices of labor relations which meto shows has infiltrated DALPA - with no resulting increase in salaries or benefits.

If it is the DL employees who will decide the outcome of labor relations at DL, why do you feel the need to enlist the aid of non-DL employees to defend your cause?

DL employees don't come on this site in large enough levels to be more than a statistical aberration solely because what is said here doesn't reflect the desires of DL employees other than a radical fringe element which no one in their right mind wants to identify with.

Latest posts