AFA labor discussion (Work related)

Apparently only 12% have voted so far.

Recall dedux.

At this rate will we won't break the 33% turnout.l
It was slow in CLT also. Perhaps the members are getting smart and waiting to hear what the candidates stand for. I would imagine it is the same old same old philly with nothing but negative campaigning and bashing. When are you ever going to learn. Dont under estimate the membership. We are all on to your dirty old politics. Please don't insult our intelligence. Which candidate are you " Be careful what you wish for"? Are you one of the group who Flores sold his sole to protect his job? Or perhaps you are Flores. He does frequent this site under various names. He is used to hiding behind skirts. Sounds like someone who has an inside track with the AFA International office to know how many have voted. That should be privileged information. The International office thought they were in a quagmire with our investigation in cLT , we can only imagine when the DOL gets a hold of the corruption in your election. Good luck with that.

Those of you who were looking for a mandate may want to keep looking.

We are going to have new people for the meat grinder but the agenda may not be that different.

The "club of stupid people" seems to be about the same size as your club.

Can closed sections be re-opened? Is all this for a moot point?

Will any sections be reopened once the company has accepted them?

Show me the money.

If you can't deliver the money then you can't deliver anything.

I will agree with what you are saying about an agenda. Everyone has one.

From what we have discussed on here we know that the presidents of both D.C. and Charlotte have changed. No matter what happens your Philly president will be new. That obviously changes the makeup of your MEC as they are your LEC presidents. If you have leadership that is actually there to follow what the members desire a couple things should take place.

First, regardless of what the companies stance the new MEC should push the negotiating committee to reopen several sections of the contract. They can do this if both parties agree. Your company will probably never agree but if your leadership is there to do what is best for you then they must try. They must reinforce to your company and your negotiating committee that anything with the current flawed sections will be unacceptable to the membership. Second, if your new leadership is really there to listen to the membership they will never agree to send a tentative agreement out for a vote with the flawed sections in place. Remember, Mr. Flores has always said that he has no say in the matter. So, you shall soon see what agenda your new leaders throughout really have and what power Mr. Flores does or does not have.

As far as "show me the money" I will take it you just mean metaphorically as in an overall improved contract. You guys could get $12 per hour raises and it would not matter much based on all the other negatives that are in the closed sections. You will spend most of any raise on the new insurance costs your company proposes. I realize some don't mind taking the gamble on 80% coverage. That is great if your are young, single, and have no responsibilities such as children. However, the flight attendant group is not getting any younger. One major health event could completely wipe you out financially. Just something to think about. There are many other examples as to why the money portion is not the only thing to look at. As it appears at this point they are just playing a shell game. Any improvement you get in one section is at the decimation of another.

Now lets hope that the new agenda is to fight for ALL US flight attendants for a fair contract.

Since I'm the only one who knows for sure that I am not a union official or candidate, I've got to say that I am not insulted to be called one.

This is exactly the reason you should not let what is said on the Internet or the rumor mill affect your vote. E-mail the candidates and ask questions directly to them! Better yet call them if they provided their phone number. Hearing it straight from the horses mouth is the best way. Of course they can tell you lies or what you want to hear but at least you won't be swayed by nameless people whom you have no idea their motivation on this or any other forum, book, or tweet!

On this board we have all shared stories about people that have or have had connection to the AFA. This is what the board was designed for. To share thoughts, concerns and of course get our message across. However, I certainly hope if you hear something second hand that might potentially sway your vote you would take the time to ask the candidate for yourself.

A big concern that has popped up is in the buzz words "Experience and qualifications". In my opinion these are some of the most misused words in any election. A lot of candidates will say they have all this experience. That may be true but it does not necessarily make them any more QUALIFIED for the job! I believe you have to look no further than your negotiating team for tons of experience! Years of union EXPERIENCE in one capacity or another. Reading what has been negotiated so far does not bring many of you warm fuzzies I am sure. So before you vote for your new leaders in Philly look at what kind of person they are and how they conduct themselves. Don't get all caught up in their resume that shows they have been in the union for twenty years. They may or may not be qualified for the position! Also, if someone has no previous union EXPERIENCE does not disqualify someone either. There very well could be people out there that are very capable but up to this point choose not to be a part of the political bloodbath. I do not know as I only recognize a couple of the names that we have talked about here. My point is due your homework!

By the way. Don't believe what I say here. Go read and ask questions yourself! Oh, and take the time to participate in voting!

Apparently only 12% have voted so far.

Recall dedux.

At this rate will we won't break the 33% turnout.l

Well, looks like McCorkie is a sad LOSER!!! The guy gets recalled and decides after 4.5 years in office before he got recalled recently, he decides to write. Well, this is original!

He now has an AFA-bashing Blog out that has a HEADER: "DATELINE AFA". And he writes about some of the select candidates that are not PALSY- WELLSY with FLORES.

In his blog he specifically sites Caramello and Wessinger, but its acutally HIS PROFILE to the TEE!

Read Below and tell me this isn't John McCorkie's own profile (he writes on his blog about some of the other candidates)

1- Enjoyed working from the comfort of their homes for five years. (This was McCORK)

2- Voted to give West flight attendants your East profit sharing (Also McCork)

3- Voted against PHL LOD/Os in 2007 (more on that later).

4- Would love to work from home again since there is no requirement to actually be in the PHL AFA office. (McCorkie on a daily bases and paid himself 108 hours of union flight pay loss while at home and never "red circled" in in 2005 to ever collect this)5- Rarely available to his members most flight attendants were asking, "where's our AFA rep"? (Funny, thats what all the PHL f/as were stating for the past 4 years and finally recalled his ###)

Okay, where to begin? Both of these candidates saw their base close last year and they have obviously figured out what most flight attendants have long known - commuting sucks. If you don't want to commute, you have a few choices:
1- Move
2- Quit
3- Tolerate it and continue to complain
4- Run for AFA office and, if elected, get to stay at home(and this is just what John McCorkle did)
OF COURSE, UNTIL HE WAS RECALLED TWO WEEKS AGO ALONG WITH ALL HIS CRONIES WHO WANT TO RUN AGAIN) lol..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here' my opinion of the select candidates running that are truly the best of the best that i've worked with when I was in the union:
Lynne Caramello, Rob Wessinger, Mike Elias, Buddy Brannon. This is the ticket as I have worked with all of them in my past union work history and they would be an absolute dynamite team that the management would fear.

AND THEN...THEY'LL BE COMING AFTER THE MEC AND NEGOTIATING COMMITTEE...CLEANING THE UNION HOUSE.

oBVIOUSLY, THIS IS WHY CATHY CAMPBELL AND DIANE BRITTON WERE ELECTED IN CLT AND DCA. CLEAN HOUSE!

That's what the f/as are expecting! Then move forward with business.

Is there a reason why you would not support TG?

She sure seems to have your fire.

I like her still. But, that is not enough. it takes energy, passion and intelligence. You have to know how to write, persuade, and create the argument in order to get management's attention. I have sat at the table with her at 2002 first concessionn and that was S. Hearn and Luther Riggs neg. pick to undermind the negotiating committee. They fully knew who was the weakest link on the team and it was done purposely to cause biferacation and tension within the committee. They were upset with me and M. McCarthy for voting to put karen Lascoli as the new MECP at the time, and not Lynn Lenowski . That's the kind of shenanigans that went on back in my day on the MEC...all political crap at the f/a expense. You had to really be on your game to be one step ahead of these yo-yos. Management wasn't the real problem, it was a weak MEC. That's very dangerous.

I do not support anyone who thinks they wants to represent and when given the opportunity, bends under pressure, talks alot, says nothing with substance, scatter brains and talks all around an issue, and has no clue on how to bring about logical consensus , period.

The sad part is you can breathe hell fire and eternal damnation with the best televangelist out there but when you have a voter turn out under 50% you have no bargaining power.

The single most important thing an AFA member can do is VOTE. Don't like the choices? Vote for yourself then. When the company looks at a 90% turnout and a leader calls for a strike vote then you have leverage''

Leadership is never easy as you have to put the welfare of the group ahead of yourself and truth is few can do this.

Well, looks like McCorkie is a sad LOSER!!! The guy gets recalled and decides after 4.5 years in office before he got recalled recently, he decides to write. Well, this is original!

He now has an AFA-bashing Blog out that has a HEADER: "DATELINE AFA". And he writes about some of the select candidates that are not PALSY- WELLSY with FLORES.

Took me a while to find the blog. You should have posted the address so all could read. All I see here when I read it is facts. I just wonder why they didn't continue with the rest of the candidates....

http://datelineafa.blogspot.com/

Took me a while to find the blog. You should have posted the address so all could read. All I see here when I read it is facts. I just wonder why they didn't continue with the rest of the candidates....

http://datelineafa.blogspot.com/

Stressing again why you need to ask questions directly to the candidate. I just took a look at the blog. Even if it is the former Philly president who wrote it, it still makes for interesting reading. If any of what is said is remotely true it definitely shows a pattern of corruption, misguided decision making and hypocrisy at best. I would certainly ask directly to the accused before passing judgment though. Seems some of these stories I have heard before. Can't remember if they have been discussed here. I do remember being told about one of the candidates who said they would never do union work again though. Oh well, I guess people can change their minds.

Again, don't believe what is read on the Internet. Ask the candidates these questions yourself. Also, I would certainly imagine that some of the stuff written would have some verifiable evidence one way or the other. Don't crucify before you verify. After that go vote!

The reason John writes only about these candidates is because they are the ones who dare challenge him and who could see right through his mockery of the union and taking advantage of the position, not working, and bascially stealing union $$ by collecting fpl and staying at home while others in the office handled the phones. If the f/as pay for an office, and an apartment for the president as president, you need to BE IN the office, daily. Not at your home. The two former presidents LGA and BOS ( before their bases closed) had no budget moneies for a paid office, so they worked from home, same as the president of DCA Alin Boswell. If you note, he never said a word about Alin's home office now did he????

Yes, an absent president daily, 41/2 years. He truly thought he was untouchable. So, now he is making it his business to ensure those candidates don't get in and confusing the voters to make other choices so that a candidate could win with just a few votes because there are so many f/as running for these positions. Basically throwing a monkey wrinch in to confuse f/as of their choice.

Bottom line, he's a sore loser...trying to put the screws to the f/as in PHL for reprecalling him.

Reactions: 1 person
If the f/as pay for an office, and an apartment for the president as president, you need to BE IN the office, daily. Not at your home. The two former presidents LGA and BOS ( before their bases closed) had no budget moneies for a paid office, so they worked from home, same as the president of DCA Alin Boswell. If you note, he never said a word about Alin's home office now did he????

So from what I am reading here, you don't think that whoever gets elected should be running the office from their home in another city and should be in the office daily ??? Correct???

Do you think Lynn and Rob are going to move to PHL ???? (LMAO)

Perhaps we should ask ALL candidates if they are willing to be in PHL~~ IN THE OFFICE DAILY ~~and not work from home. My guess is that anyone not presently living in base wants the luxury of working from home and not commutting or moving there.

I know for a fact that Terry Graf has an apartment in Center City that she has had for years. She will also tell you that she usually only goes home once a month give or take. Can those running from other bases say the same? I don't think so and you can guarantee that if asked Lynn or Rob won't put a number on how often they plan on being in the office weekly. NOBODY on here will convince me that they don't have every intention of running the office from their home city as much as possible. You can be the best unionist on the planet but if you are not accessible to your members other than by phone you are of little use and not that effective. Who are we kidding here? :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 person
So from what I am reading here, you don't think that whoever gets elected should be running the office from their home in another city and should be in the office daily ??? Correct???

Do you think Lynn and Rob are going to move to PHL ???? (LMAO)

Perhaps we should ask ALL candidates if they are willing to be in PHL~~ IN THE OFFICE DAILY ~~and not work from home. My guess is that anyone not presently living in base wants the luxury of working from home and not commutting or moving there.

Very good points. Also, what are the rules for reimbursement? Are they laid out somewhere like your contract or constitution? Is the union really paying for an apartment for it's local leadership? Seems like another one of those rules that needs some serious fixing. What is legal and what is ethical seem to not cross paths anywhere within your union. I would think that the rules for union leadership should be the same as any other flight attendant. Your in a supposed be improving the lives of all flight attendants. That is difficult to do when you don't live under the same rules as everyone else. If you are based in a particular city and that is where the office is that is where you should be. I understand reimbursement for hotel at out of base meetings, but paying for an apartment in the city that you work in is pure lunacy. I understand your job is a little different and many flight attendants commute for a variety of reasons. I don't seem to remember any of the people that I know say they were reimbursed for an apartment or any other commuting expense recently.

These sound like some more excellent questions for the candidates.

On the other side of that coin. If you are doing things mentioned here such as flying when not legal because of passenger sad faces and overflying it does not come across as someone that will stand up for ALL flight attendants. That actually seems to be stealing opportunity for other flight attendants to pick up time. Again, the accused should have their day to explain, but knowingly violating contract provisions does not give one a feeling of confidence. The good thing is that these things should be verifiable and easily cleared up. Sad passengers is no excuse for breaking a contract. Me thinks your company would keep track of those GOOD DEEDS and use them to their advantage with Mr. Flores.

I hope it has not come down to voting for the lesser of evils here. What a pity to go so far and end up in the same quagmire you have been in for some time. Funny thing is you still have Flores and Austin tirelessly negotiating away anything you had left to defend in your contract.