Aircraft maint issues

Glad to hear. Someone mentioned that Jackson is wrobles boy. Spelling?
I heard from management that Cade is now in charge and Wroble is on Seymours crap list.
Yes sorry that was spelling but Jackson is Robels guy, not sure if that spelling is correct either, so apparently , I'm not 100% sure on the details but the FAA is nailing usairs planes for having the incorrect locations for emergency equipment and I mean like all of it on the plane, I could be wrong and I'll find out more soon but yeah it's fucjing things up here

Excellent question sir.
Probably the only way you will get out of it, is two ways1. See if you guys have enough votes to get a new union, to replace the association ! Or option #2 file a lawsuit against the association for lack of representation to force a vote between the IAM or the TWU !

Yes sorry that was spelling but Jackson is Robels guy, not sure if that spelling is correct either, so apparently , I'm not 100% sure on the details but the FAA is nailing usairs planes for having the incorrect locations for emergency equipment and I mean like all of it on the plane, I could be wrong and I'll find out more soon but yeah it's fucjing things up here

Wrobles is the correct spelling. Seems the FAA is aiding our cause out in LA. Put a spanking on them!

I want to make it perfectly clear that I support my union brothers and sisters. I am willing to carry a sign or whatever is needed to make the company aware of my displeasure of current negotiations. All I was saying is I don't feel I should give away my current holidays or vacation to bring the TWU side up. The company should have given my TWU brothers and sisters the same holidays and vacation time at the merger. TWU is working under a bankruptcy contract. I as a IAM member went through bankruptcies also. We gave retro pay give backs! First time in aviation history. Please understand that I want a fair contract for both sides. I'm just saying I rather keep what I have currently and be patient for a leading industry contract.

Like what was said before, there is no way either side should have to give up anything considering how much money the company is making, and is projected to make. The LUS AMTs are doing better than the LAA AMTs, but neither is industry leading at anything at present. There is plenty of room for improvement in pay and benefits. It comes down to scope. Seems the company wants to up the percentage of heavy check outsourcing, and turn facilities maintenance over to an outside vendor - at least for arguments sake. I've had enough of accepting less to keep stuff that only benefits the union. Our pay and benefits suck to the point of wondering why we have this union let alone this association. At this rate of negotiations, maybe we are about due for another AMFA drive.

At this rate of negotiations, maybe we are about due for another AMFA drive.

Hoping to see some pictures of the turnout numbers?

Informational Picketing to Mark the 5 Year Anniversary of the Southwest Airlines Aircraft Maintenance Technician Contract Amendable Date

Centennial, Colo. – August 14, 2017 – AMFA National Director Bret Oestreich has released the following statement:

“On behalf of the Southwest Airlines (SWA) aircraft maintenance technicians (AMTs), ground support equipment technicians, plant maintenance technicians, maintenance controllers, and maintenance trainers, AMFA members will be conducting informational picketing in Chicago, IL and Phoenix, AZ on August 16, 2017, marking the five year anniversary of the AMT contract amendable date.

Informational Picketing to Mark the 5 Year Anniversary of the Southwest Airlines Aircraft Maintenance Technician Contract Amendable Date

Centennial, Colo. – August 14, 2017 – AMFA National Director Bret Oestreich has released the following statement:

“On behalf of the Southwest Airlines (SWA) aircraft maintenance technicians (AMTs), ground support equipment technicians, plant maintenance technicians, maintenance controllers, and maintenance trainers, AMFA members will be conducting informational picketing in Chicago, IL and Phoenix, AZ on August 16, 2017, marking the five year anniversary of the AMT contract amendable date.
Quiet. I must say and congrats to the group that protested from AA. That was impressive and hell of solidarity. Keep up the pressure!!!

Probably the only way you will get out of it, is two ways1. See if you guys have enough votes to get a new union, to replace the association ! Or option #2 file a lawsuit against the association for lack of representation to force a vote between the IAM or the TWU !
Come on now. File a lawsuit. Give me a break. Get real. How's it working with your suits filed at SWA?? Big elephant in room.

Thinking Towards The Future as We Fight for Today

As we enter this next phase of negotiations, I want to emphasize the importance of understanding what we are working for - not only for current, but also future members. It seems like all of us hired in and heard about how things used to be or how things have changed. As I look around these days, it has become clear that many of us are entering into the “old timer” category and in not to many more years we will be turning American over to the next generation of members.

When we hired in, we did not know what the good old days were; but after a few years of being mentored by the old timers - we all realized that the company has made several paradigm shifts over the years. What I believe we must do is stop allowing management as they once again attempt to divide and conquer us, as we work through these negotiations. We cannot look at our newer members as “them” and ourselves as “us.” We need to find ways to encourage the new generation of members to become active in "being union," by teaching and mentoring them on contract application and enforcement. It is critical that those of us who have been around for several years talk to newer members, about the current contract and why what’s in the book matters; even more-so after we reach a JCBA. I want to remind our members that without a union, we would not have the demand right to things like bidding our shift, selecting days off or vacation; but most importantly the right to our work scope that is the basis for our pay. Not to mention our right to file grievances, for things like a bypass on overtime, field trips, or discipline. Remember our members cannot be disciplined or terminated, without just cause; something non-unionmembers do not have. I recently spoke to two groups of non-union mechanics, one that was forced to work split shifts and another forced to work away from home for 30 days at a time; just to stay employed. Worse yet was the story I recently read about a non-union worker who was killed on the job, this time by lightning. This is why getting the language in our JCBA right matters so much to me.

So I say to all of you, both the old timers and the young guns, this is our time. We must reignite our passion for the best contract in the industry; not one that is third or even second. While some of our younger members may not realize the importance of collective bargaining, their future will be determined by the success we are able to achieve at the bargaining table through this JCBA. It would have been easy for the negotiating committee to take the high road and negotiate a contract that was good, but that is not our objective. If the negotiating committee were to have done that, we would be done by now and we would have achieved mediocrity! While the time it is taking to reach this JCBA has been longer than any one of wanted, we are committed to delivering the contract that our members deserve. In closing, this JCBA is not just about money, it’s not just about work rules, it’s not just about scope, or even health and retiree benefits; it is about getting all of the Articles right for our members. We have one shot at transforming our membership into a galvanized group of proud union members, our success will be forever forged by our internal organizing movement and this JCBA. We will remain unified and stand-as-one, demanding nothing less than the industries best contract. I am thankful and proud of the membership for giving me the strength and desire to strive for excellence in this agreement. I often remind members that you control our destiny; I am proud to be your voice at the bargaining table. Without your support there would be little that I alone could accomplish, and we will achieve the best contract in the industry by remaining unified.

Gary Peterson
President local 591

Thinking Towards The Future as We Fight for Today

As we enter this next phase of negotiations, I want to emphasize the importance of understanding what we are working for - not only for current, but also future members. It seems like all of us hired in and heard about how things used to be or how things have changed. As I look around these days, it has become clear that many of us are entering into the “old timer” category and in not to many more years we will be turning American over to the next generation of members.

When we hired in, we did not know what the good old days were; but after a few years of being mentored by the old timers - we all realized that the company has made several paradigm shifts over the years. What I believe we must do is stop allowing management as they once again attempt to divide and conquer us, as we work through these negotiations. We cannot look at our newer members as “them” and ourselves as “us.” We need to find ways to encourage the new generation of members to become active in "being union," by teaching and mentoring them on contract application and enforcement. It is critical that those of us who have been around for several years talk to newer members, about the current contract and why what’s in the book matters; even more-so after we reach a JCBA. I want to remind our members that without a union, we would not have the demand right to things like bidding our shift, selecting days off or vacation; but most importantly the right to our work scope that is the basis for our pay. Not to mention our right to file grievances, for things like a bypass on overtime, field trips, or discipline. Remember our members cannot be disciplined or terminated, without just cause; something non-unionmembers do not have. I recently spoke to two groups of non-union mechanics, one that was forced to work split shifts and another forced to work away from home for 30 days at a time; just to stay employed. Worse yet was the story I recently read about a non-union worker who was killed on the job, this time by lightning. This is why getting the language in our JCBA right matters so much to me.

So I say to all of you, both the old timers and the young guns, this is our time. We must reignite our passion for the best contract in the industry; not one that is third or even second. While some of our younger members may not realize the importance of collective bargaining, their future will be determined by the success we are able to achieve at the bargaining table through this JCBA. It would have been easy for the negotiating committee to take the high road and negotiate a contract that was good, but that is not our objective. If the negotiating committee were to have done that, we would be done by now and we would have achieved mediocrity! While the time it is taking to reach this JCBA has been longer than any one of wanted, we are committed to delivering the contract that our members deserve. In closing, this JCBA is not just about money, it’s not just about work rules, it’s not just about scope, or even health and retiree benefits; it is about getting all of the Articles right for our members. We have one shot at transforming our membership into a galvanized group of proud union members, our success will be forever forged by our internal organizing movement and this JCBA. We will remain unified and stand-as-one, demanding nothing less than the industries best contract. I am thankful and proud of the membership for giving me the strength and desire to strive for excellence in this agreement. I often remind members that you control our destiny; I am proud to be your voice at the bargaining table. Without your support there would be little that I alone could accomplish, and we will achieve the best contract in the industry by remaining unified.

Gary Peterson
President local 591
Very True. It's up to the members!!!

Come on now. File a lawsuit. Give me a break. Get real. How's it working with your suits filed at SWA?? Big elephant in room.
The only way they will get rid of the association, then, is make sure they have the votes to replace it, and go from there !

That's a very nice letter from Gary. I have to wonder though, how many of our Union members have to work away from home for 30 or more days just to stay employed.

Yeah nice letter from someone that has made some paradigm shifts himself.
He tried to get hired my AA a couple of times and failed. Now he is pushing a union agenda, he has nothing to lose is spouse used to be an AA director. He might mean well but stop with the pro Union bull-****. It doesn't come from the heart, it is false.
I used to believe in Unions what they stood for now they are struggling for their survival at our cost. The only thing they do now is keep us from getting terminated at will, which is a good thing.
But if you are a good person and good work ethics you have nothing to worry about...
The truth sometimes is hard to swallow....

Reactions: 1AA

I have no pics as of yet Weaasles. I am being told it was a great turn out with great support from our Pilots, F/A's, SWAPA and TWU were there. Below is a release that went out a couple days before the IP day. It was great to hear Jon Weaks speak out for the mechanics with their 100% support. I know you guys had support from your Pilots and F/A's as well didn't you? It does get the company's attention more when all the other groups on property show 100% support for the mechanics. At least were not just out there looking like we are on our own. As soon as I see any pics I will pass them on for you.

U.S.Chicago Business Journal
Southwest Airlines' frustrated mechanics bring in some heavy artillery

This last paragraph says it all;

But from the mechanics' perspective, the current offer isn't good enough after five long years at the bargaining table.

Latest posts

Back