Aircraft maint issues

I will do you one better than that. How about a flight dispatcher who gets their certification in 5 to 6 weeks. Dispatchers at the major airlines pay is far higher than a mechanic and they have cockpit jumpseat privileges at other airlines like the pilots have. Top dispatchers at UPS and SWA are making close to 150k without overtime and now DL UA and AA are around the same. That job is THE best return on investment bar none. Where can you get a certification in anything in 5 to 6 weeks much less pull in that kind of money after a few years paying your dues. Even hairdressers have to go to school for a year. If I had known about this 30 years ago I would have never got an A@P I would have went that route. Oh and speaking of return on investment I really should have been a cop in NJ. All my friends that were cops they are retired and living in Florida on a 90k a year retirement and they have been retired for years and are my age (53) but I picked aviation so I will drop dead in this place before I ever get to retire thanks to unions like the IAM and companies like NW. Ok rant over!
You are always going to find someone that got a better deal than you did (or made better choices). Get over it.

You are always going to find someone that got a better deal than you did (or made better choices). Get over it.

Yes you're right about choices I have to live with mine it pays 115k could be worse but also could be a lot better. I was just rebutting YOUR post about our salary and only a 2 year investment. How about we get paid for our responsibility as well. Look at any aircraft accident you will find pilot error as the # 1 cause and A/C maintenance or lack of it as the second. You wouldn't know that from where you are sitting but from where I sit in maintenance control it is very easy to get burned by the FAA as an A@P. When an accident happens first place the FAA goes is the maintenance logbook then the flight data and voice recorders. So save your smartass comment of "get over it" Come talk to us when you have more responsibility then slinging bags.

Reactions: MetalMover
Sorry Lineguy, but if you're gonna broad brush an entire workgroup, you may want to educate yourself on exactly what responsibilities they have. I'm a bag slinger leader and there is a touch more to the job than just tossing bags in different directions. I'm sure your anger towards La Li (we have all experienced it) had you shooting from the hip...just saying

Yes you're right about choices I have to live with mine it pays 115k could be worse but also could be a lot better. I was just rebutting YOUR post about our salary and only a 2 year investment.
There is no rebuttal. What I said is a fact. On average your earnings/compensation exceed others of a comparative education level by far.

How about we get paid for our responsibility as well.
Sure, just tell me how much "responsible" is worth an hour.......

If people were paid for responsible paramedics would not average $31,980.a year.

If people were paid for responsible police officers would not average $44,639 a year.

If people were paid for responsible firefighters would not average $53,029 a year.

So save your smartass comment of "get over it" Come talk to us when you have more responsibility then slinging bags.
First off I did very little "slinging". I worked at TULE. You know that huge maintenance base? Perhaps you have heard of it.

Second I no longer work for American Airlines and have not for 4 years.

Third, I do computer networking for a living on a large scale (that thing you call the internet). Please don't preach to me about responsibilities.

Sorry Lineguy, but if you're gonna broad brush an entire workgroup, you may want to educate yourself on exactly what responsibilities they have.
He is not interested in what the responsibilities of a "bag slinger" are. He made that very clear with his condescending post of self entitlement and superiority.

I mean honestly how wound up do you have to be to go after someone over posting a 52 second video about emerging aircraft tech?

I'm sure your anger towards La Li (we have all experienced it) had you shooting from the hip...just saying
Broad brush much? I am sure there are a few people on here I have not angered yet.

Though it's only Monday, give me time. :)

That being said I rather post honestly than post things based on what I think people want to hear. I have had people go on a rant against one of my post then within the next 3 days give agree and winner.

Here's a recent news article in the Fort Worth Star Telegram that is extremely relevant to our situation at AA with regards to negotiations dragging on for years with a company that is making billions in record profits.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/business/aviation/sky-talk-blog/article139252468.html

What say the FAA Certificated Airmen with ratings of Airframe and/or Powerplant that currently are employed by American Airlines as Title 1 AMTs about this article?

I'll admit, it is not an article about using 3d printers to make wing boxes, but it seems to me that it may be more pertinent to most of the posters on this board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a recent news article in the Fort Worth Star Telegram that is extremely relevant to our situation at AA with regards to negotiations dragging on for years with a company that is making billions in record profits.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/business/aviation/sky-talk-blog/article139252468.html

What say the FAA Certificated Airmen with ratings of Airframe and/or Powerplant that currently are employed by American Airlines as Title 1 AMTs about this article?

I'll admit, it is not an article about using 3d printers to make wing boxes, but it seems to me that it may be more pertinent to most of the posters on this board.

I noticed at the end of the article when they were comparing AA to other airlines they only mention AA compared to UAL and Delta only for pay, then they add Southwest to the comparison only dealing with the outsourcing of maintenance. Your union should be working on getting SWA into the comparo with the other airlines when it comes to pay, also, they need to get UPS and FedEx in there too, then it would be a true industry leading contract. Just placing you guys above UAL and Delta IS NOT an industry leading contract as there will still be 3 other airlines with better contracts when it comes to pay and bennies...

I noticed at the end of the article when they were comparing AA to other airlines they only mention AA compared to UAL and Delta only for pay, then they add Southwest to the comparison only dealing with the outsourcing of maintenance. Your union should be working on getting SWA into the comparo with the other airlines when it comes to pay, also, they need to get UPS and FedEx in there too, then it would be a true industry leading contract. Just placing you guys above UAL and Delta IS NOT an industry leading contract as there will still be 3 other airlines with better contracts when it comes to pay and bennies...

"Local union leaders say management has promised an industry-leading contract and they believe their members deserve to get paid more than United and Delta mechanics, who are scheduled to receive pay raises that leapfrog them above American’s pay.

Seymour agrees that the contract should be industry-leading, but it’s difficult to negotiate each individual contract article better than the competitors. American already performs more of its own heavy maintenance work than Delta, United or Southwest Airlines."

Again with regards to FAA Certificated Airmen with ratings of Airframe and/or Powerplant Mechanic that currently are employed by American Airlines as Title 1 AMTs about this article? And also SWA FAA Certificated Airmen with ratings of Airframe and/or Powerplant Mechanic that are employed by SWA as AMTs.

It seems to me the company likes to compare outsourcing rates with SWA but not pay and benefits and of course our representative seems unable or unwilling to push the issue and it seems it has been this way for as long as I can remember.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/b...talk-blog/article139252468.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we can all see how this is playing out. but what about the irreconcilable differences between the IAM and TWU? We simply cannot leave these items open ended or wind up in arbitration. Or maybe we can and have this drag on even further.

I think we can all see how this is playing out. but what about the irreconcilable differences between the IAM and TWU? We simply cannot leave these items open ended or wind up in arbitration. Or maybe we can and have this drag on even further.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Does the IAM get automatic pay raises if their contract goes past the amendable date? That is something I've heard and want to verify.

Sure, just tell me how much "responsible" is worth an hour.......

If people were paid for responsible paramedics would not average $31,980.a year.

If people were paid for responsible police officers would not average $44,639 a year.

If people were paid for responsible firefighters would not average $53,029 a year.

Could you educate me as to how your current position in the work force as in computer networking for a living on a large scale (that thing you call the internet)could place the lives of humans in jeopardy?

In the event a JCBA at the new AA has not been ratified prior to 9/12/17, a 1.5% increase to the base rates of pay will be applied and the amendable date of the agreement will become 9/12/18 This is from page 112 of the M&R IAM Agreement which can be pulled up on Jetnet.

page 112 is from my hard copy at home. If you pull up the M&R IAM Agreement on Jetnet go to Article 18 Wage Rates and Article 23 Duration for the same language posted above.

page 112 is from my hard copy at home. If you pull up the M&R IAM Agreement on Jetnet go to Article 18 Wage Rates and Article 23 Duration for the same language posted above.

That article sounds like something the TWU would be against, because it's forward thinking.

I would like to see a contract sooner rather then later. I have a feeling Trump will start a war with someone in order to get re elected, a war president doesn't get voted out of office.

Could you educate me as to how your current position in the work force as in computer networking for a living on a large scale (that thing you call the internet)could place the lives of humans in jeopardy?
I won't go into specifics due to the nature of my job.

I will provide you a hypothetical example however.

Hypothetically, I could make a mistake in a router or switch and impact 911 services for an entire community.

Is that enough jeopardy for you?

Latest posts