American Airlines and Labor Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crema I’m pretty much a self confessing ignoramous when it comes to doing Math. Get me past figuring those wage increases and I’m dribbling from the mouth.

But seriously this is ridiculous.

I promise, I am not moving off of this, the wording does not say, in addition to the 5%, we are giving you an additional 4% for a total of 9% match of your gross pay.

Last edited:
The positive thing out of this is that you will be very happy when you get the real picture.
Don't get me wrong, the way I put money in the 401K, I would never feel a thing. The way the company has written it is the same way UA has it written. IMG_1050.JPG

This image above is a carbon copy of what the company is describing. just worded differently.

I think he is not reading it correctly. It does not mean match 4% of your contribution. It means matching your contribution, up to 4% of the salary. This is how the match works now and I do not see it changing. I also don't think it will do any good to argue as the decision seems to have been made on his part. I do think the company and Fidelity could explain it more clearly.

Crema I’m pretty much a self confessing ignoramous when it comes to doing Math. Get me past figuring those wage increases and I’m dribbling from the mouth.

at least you admit it. That explains your classic fails regarding the iam pension.
Doesnt explain why you flip flop all the time.

btw oil new 5 year high today.

bob, look and see what the company currently matches on your 401k. is it 5 1/2% of your gross pay or 5 1/2% of your 5 1/2% contribution?

the other thing is if the offer was 4% of the contribution, why would the company use it to pad the total wage & benefit compensation package and why would the assoc. claim the number is artificially inflated?

What we have now is a match of up to 5.5% of the gross. But I have to contribute at least 5.5% of my check. They are selling a 5% match on gross and that they will match up too 4% of my contributions, and that are my contributions, well if I elect 5% its 4% of that 5%

I think he is not reading it correctly. It does not mean match 4% of your contribution. It means matching your contribution, up to 4% of the salary. This is how the match works now and I do not see it changing. I also don't think it will do any good to argue as the decision seems to have been made on his part. I do think the company and Fidelity could explain it more clearly.

I agree. And if I were Bob I wouldn’t waste my time then trying to capture the improvement.

No point in missing out on that small Starbucks Frappacino he can enjoy once a week instead.

at least you admit it. That explains your classic fails regarding the iam pension.
Doesnt explain why you flip flop all the time.

btw oil new 5 year high today.

I have never once EVER supported an absolute that if offered inclusion into your IAMNPF I would be onboard and jump in. I challenge you to find one post where I did.

What I DO NOT support is your narrative on totally trashing it as a possible “option” for any of us.

Otherwise I could completely care less. It’s your battle to wage not mine.

I have never once EVER supported an absolute that if offered inclusion into your IAMNPF I would be onboard and jump in. I challenge you to find one post where I did.

What I DO NOT support is your narrative on totally trashing it as a possible “option” for any of us.

Otherwise I could completely care less. It’s your battle to wage not mine.
its bottling up mx talks. It is your problem. Im all for supporting you and alex positioning with Sito to kick the can but alex, you, and your handlers need to stay focused and not continually make the iam pension the holy grail. NYer was right.

its bottling up mx talks. It is your problem. Im all for supporting you and alex positioning with Sito to kick the can but alex, you, and your handlers need to stay focused and not continually make the iam pension the holy grail. NYer was right.

I am not a Negotiator. I have nothing to do with Negotiations. Alex Garcia is an old friend of mine from MIA. I don’t know and have never met Sito Pantoja.

No one is kicking any can as right now the Company “online” offer is completely unacceptable and inadequate. The main issues unacceptable are Job losses and a raising of the IAM Members Medical costs.

I have not heard a single peep anywhere about anyone being held hostage because of discussions about the IAMPF and I highly wish you would avoid continuing to place me inside your continuing fantasies or personal agenda. Your propaganda.

Last edited:
Again this is not meant to be a slam of any type against the IAM Financial Fund but as I at the moment am personally not in it and don’t even know if I will soon or even ever be offered inclusion in it again FOR ME I could care less.

If it ever does come up as an offer to me after I conclude asking many questions about it I’ll make my decision then.

In that decision the question to be answered is does it work for ME?

Again this is not meant to be a slam of any type against the IAM Financial Fund but as I at the moment am personally not in it and don’t even know if I will soon or even ever be offered inclusion in it again FOR ME I could care less.

If it ever does come up as an offer to me after I conclude asking many questions about it I’ll make my decision then.

In that decision the question to be answered is does it work for ME?
9% of gross is 9% of gross. At SWA we are up to 9.3 %. SO to get the full 9.3% , we have to contribute 10%. This money is taken out before taxes, therefore reducing your taxable income by 10% If American will contribute 5% of your gross income without you doing anything that's not bad. So to get the extra 4 %, do you just have to give 4% or 9%? If it is 9%, and they give you 9%, that is still 18% of your gross income going into your 401k. Which is quite a bit of money if you leave it alone. Even if your pension funds are frozen, you would have your pension, 401k, and social security, not bad. If you have a military retirement even better.

Aren't we all? The average baggage handler has no grasp whatsoever of what the Company is up to, even when it stares them in the face. This is no accident, the Company has access to entire teams of accountants, lawyers, and spin doctors to formulate, and sell their position.

Again, this is EXACTLY why the 401k plan was created to begin with. It was designed by Big Finance, and Big Corporate to serve Big Finance and Big Corporate!

9% of gross is 9% of gross. At SWA we are up to 9.3 %. SO to get the full 9.3% , we have to contribute 10%. This money is taken out before taxes, therefore reducing your taxable income by 10% If American will contribute 5% of your gross income without you doing anything that's not bad. So to get the extra 4 %, do you just have to give 4% or 9%? If it is 9%, and they give you 9%, that is still 18% of your gross income going into your 401k. Which is quite a bit of money if you leave it alone. Even if your pension funds are frozen, you would have your pension, 401k, and social security, not bad. If you have a military retirement even better.

Obviously there is a disagreement on how the Company plans to offer their deal to us. One member thinks one way and multiple others disagree with him.

Currently I put 22% into my 401k and we have a 5.5% Match. 3% Contribution 2.5% more Matched. I’m AA TWU so yes I do have a decent frozen DBP and with our wage increases my SS forecast has gone up nicely from when I originally forecasted my Retirement income to be a few years back.

I’m actually over contributing now just simply because I can.

What we have now is a match of up to 5.5% of the gross. But I have to contribute at least 5.5% of my check. They are selling a 5% match on gross and that they will match up too 4% of my contributions, and that are my contributions, well if I elect 5% its 4% of that 5%

Serenity now...serenity now.

Right now, we get up to a 5.5% match on our contributions, for a total of 11% (of which 5.5% is from the airline)

Their proposal is for 5% contribution (0% from us), for a total of 5% of our pay.

Then we can contribute 5.5%, like we do now, for a total of 10.5% of our pay (5% from airline & 5.5% from us)

In addition, the airline will throw in an additional 4%, of our pay, to make a grand total of 14.5% (5% from the airline, 5.5% from us & another 4% match from the airline)

As they state in their email, "for a total company contribution of up to 9%." (5% contribution from the airline & 4% match from the airline = 9%)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back