Iam Negotiations

SpinDoc said:
700:

The ATSB allowed US to renegotiate the terms
of the guaranteed loan. The ATSB loan IS the
DIP financing for the entirity of the CH 11 process.
[post="230771"][/post]​

Your information is not correct.

First of All US has to meet weekly cash balances or the loan gets called. US is allowed $100 million cushion which was down to $20 million one point in November, that is why US had to sell all its hedged fuel for $40+ million to get the cushion back up or be in violation of the ATSB loan. And that came from the SR VP Of Finance.

Starting in the last week of December it changes to daily cash balances or the loan gets called in.

The ATSB meets weekly with US at CCY do get all of the relevant financial data.

The ATSB agreement expires Jan 10, 2005, so how is that the financing the entire bankruptcy since no POR has been filed nor a date of emergence given?

And the only reason the ATSB agreed is because it was an election year and no one in the financial world would give DIP financing because US has no unencumbered assets.

Even Dr Bronner would not poney up any money.

fliboi,

Lets see WN has not given concessions and they pay their employees more then any legacy carrier and they are the only airline to be profitable for 30 years straight.

And lets see all the groups have been giving back since 1992, once again in 99, then in 2002 and 2003, two bankruptcies in 18 months, yep shows how great the executives have been in management this company.

No one would lend US money to make it through BK, yep shows how great the chances are that US will die a slow death.

Spin, still waiting for the rest of the questions to be answered.

Phantom....Sure all of that COULD go away unless the IAM negotiators get creative and come up with a way to meet the cost targets without half of the membership going away. You and 700 would do yourselves a favor if you took an economics course and maybe you'd understand what is really happening.

I understand what is going on, if you want everyone to make $10 an hour that would save the jobs.

Maybe you should observe negotiations and then you would learn what it is all about.

By the way the IAM does have an economist at both negotiations, M&R and Fleet.

700UW said:
fliboi,

Lets see WN has not given concessions and they pay their employees more then any legacy carrier and they are the only airline to be profitable for 30 years straight.

And lets see all the groups have been giving back since 1992, once again in 99, then in 2002 and 2003, two bankruptcies in 18 months, yep shows how great the executives have been in management this company.

No one would lend US money to make it through BK, yep shows how great the chances are that US will die a slow death.

Spin, still waiting for the rest of the questions to be answered.
[post="230781"][/post]​
700 wrong!!!!!! Have you looked at WN's contract... dollar for dollar your correct. WN has beaten our sock off, because their contracts HAVE ALLOWED THEM TOO!!!! Its not about dollar for dollar pay. You were wrong then and are nw! No one didnt provide dip this time because hello? WE DIDNT GO IN ASKING????

First of all Mechanics were hired as the fleet increased.

The PI fleet was being cleaned without the added people just fine and the reason those people were added was to get up to the AL contract. Look it up.

Piedmont and US Airways both had Utility, PI only in a few cities, there was an increase of headcount due to increase of flying. European and Carribean expansion.

Uncle Ed didn't want to fly to Europe or the Carribean. He was hell bent on flying 737's coast to coast when pax wanted to go on widebodies. He didn't have a plan and now it shows.

But since 1989 there has been lots of facilities closed, SAN (hangar and engine shop) UCA heavy Maintenance, INT heavy maintenance, GSO hangar, IND Hangar, ROA Hangar, BUF Hangar, CLE Hangar, DCA hanger closed and now reopened, MIA Hangar, ILM Hangar, and TPA hangar.

How many aircraft were flying when they were all open? Far more than is at the airline today and even then look at the list of facilities you have made and then associate the costs that go with them. Even you might find it would be expensive but then again I am probably giving you too much credit.

Maintenance stations have been closed since 1992 also, US is down to 18 maintenance stations from a high of 30+.

Yeah, places like IAH that had a handful of flights a day yet they had maint. How much sense did that make when it could've been contracted to CO to handle any problems that surfaced. The good ol' IAM huh??

The maintenance department has been cut by almost half since the closing of INT, GSO, ROA, TPA and 9/11.

The fleet has been cut in half. Why keep the mechanics for 400+ airplanes when you have less than 300?

So maintenance has been hit very hard, there are more mechanic and related on furlough then pilots.

So...your point is? Just because you've been hit hard what does that have to do with the price of rice in Tokyo? Everyone has been hit hard so get off the soapbox.

Where do we go from here, who knows, but you won't get 50% of the workforce to vote themselves out of a job.

What do you care where they go. You've got your cushy job all lined up with IAM right??

US looked for financing for months, could not get any. They still need another $100 Million in private financing or the GE deal goes away.

No, their smart management has let them pay more.

Every classification at WN makes more then their US counterparts.

700UW said:
I understand what is going on, if you want everyone to make $10 an hour that would save the jobs.

Maybe you should observe negotiations and then you would learn what it is all about.
[post="230794"][/post]​

deleted by mod. It's a good thing they have economists in the negotiations so they can explain to you what your hair brained ideas really mean.

The fleet had not been cut in half and before 9/11 GSO, INT, ROA, were all open. MIA, ILM SAN, UCA, BUF, were all closed shorty after merger. Then IND closed while the fleet was at 400 planes. And US never had 458 mainline jets flying.

And if you were around in 1999 you would have seen numerous 757s and 737s parked in CLT, PIT and TPA due to lack of hangar space to perform the scheduled overhaul. Gee why don't you go ask an economist how much revenue does an airplane generate while it is grounded due to no hangar space to perform the overhaul.

And PI's planes were dirty and filthy inside, I use to watch the contract cleaners drag the leaking bags of trash down the center aisle on the 727s out the rear stairs, nice sticky carpets.

And ever sit on an plane and wait and wait and wait for contract mtc to show up? Plus IAH handled numerous tasks for RON mtc.

And per the FAA and US Airways, EVERY US Airways plane must be seen once per day by a US Airways mechanic in order to be legal to fly.

So glad to see you are concerned for my future.

Aeroman,

My taking of an economics course is hardly the issue here.
U has been running adrift for far too long...and thier seems to be no tangible signs of anything changing beyond the number of people whom remain and how low they are willing to stay here for.

U is its own worst enemy..."The Incridible Shrinking Airline" We don't compete we retreat....we don't fix ..we furlough or plunder the employees in hopes of righting this train wreck....well , 27,000 people that use to be almost 46,000 hasn't spelled the answer.

2 trips to Chapter 11 hasn't done it.

Fleet Reduction from 400+ to 283 hasn't done it.....and 25 fewer to come isn't going to do it either. U can plan for all the added flying they desire too...but without people keeping them in repair in close proximity to where we are in relation to the route system....well if you had any clue as to what is taking place just to keep things going , you just might see my point and perspective , but I won't hold my breath on that.

Maybe it time for U to start thinking about flying to more destinations instead of fewer? The expanse to the Caribean has been nice..and the added seasonal destinations to Europe are great...but what about creating additional feed by offering to go where others make money , just as they have invaded what were our money making areas. My bad....they don't have to think in strategic terms do they? Not as long as we have a bunch of smucks willing to work for a fraction of what they were making.

Phantom Fixer said:
The company has made the claim of laying it all on the table...the ask on Heavy Maintenance and giving up the Utility classification absolutely spells the end of over 50% of the jobs in the "Mechanic and Related" field. To assume less is blindly foolish.

Lets see for a moment

[post="230722"][/post]​

Yes this very well said your post was excellent

Isn't it to bad the one who self proclaims himself to be so in the know (at every opportunity) cannot put something in words in the matter that you do. His MO is to attack, degrade, insult people and then tell you that you don't know heads from tails and then says he does know but he refuses to explain himself except to say things like. A little birdy told me or look it up or I am in the know you aren't. ETC ETC ETC. Yours was a refreshing post filled with facts presented in a noncondescending manner. It is amazing that how good your post is compared to what he has to offer to this forum.

700UW said:
US looked for financing for months, could not get any. They still need another $100 Million in private financing or the GE deal goes away.

No, their smart management has let them pay more.

Every classification at WN makes more then their US counterparts.
[post="230798"][/post]​

And how many consecutive profitable quarters has SWA enjoyed? And now, how many profitable quarters has U enjoyed since 1988?

How many airplanes did SWA have in 1988? Around 60 B737's. And U: about 450.
And now SWA has over 400 B737's and U: 279 and decreasing fast.

Seems as if when a company is profitable and secure they can borrow money and pay employees "what they're worth." You work for a worthless company. Now tell me how much more your SWA counterpart makes and why.