April/May 2013 IAM Fleet Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think IMO one of the best things about the coalition being formed as far as the NC is concerned. Is that it gives us more leverage in section 6 negotiations. We now don't have the probability of a full blown election waiting in the wings between the two unions. An election could have halted negotiations for awhile. We now go back to the table with that threat gone. I think that is huge.

No laboratory conditions means no excuses not to go full throttle at the table. I agree w/you that it's a good thing. Now let's hope your NC capitalizes on it.

Question for everyone on here.
Do you think that everything in our contract would be better handled in section 6 negotiations as the number 5 carrier. Or do you think certain things would be better negotiated in joint talks as the worlds largest carrier? Give me your opinions.

Do you think that everything in our contract would be better handled in section 6 negotiations as the number 5 carrier. Or do you think certain things would be better negotiated in joint talks as the worlds largest carrier? Give me your opinions.

My feeling, now that the association is a possibility, why not shoot for the moon and get it done now while in section 6...then meet somewhere in the middle at integration and better that MOU the TWU signed and and still have good scope and other things. If thats possible.

It’s time get back what we “donated” to the Company through the lean years. The Industry is now awash in profits, and billions of it come from Baggage Fees. Baggage Handlers are worth more than at anytime in history!

The unknowns are no longer an obstacle...

We know we will be a world class carrier...
We know who will represent us even after the merger...
We know negotiations are in a stage that should be considered advanced...
We know we have the wherewithal to go the rest of the distance... let's do this!

My feeling, now that the association is a possibility, why not shoot for the moon and get it done now while in section 6...then meet somewhere in the middle at integration and better that MOU the TWU signed and and still have good scope and other things. If thats possible.
Mike
Thanks. But can you clarify the meet somewhere in the middle and better that MOU part. IMO, our current contract is better than the MOU with AA except for a couple of things like pay, and 5th week vacation.

Charlie,

We may technically be considered the 5th largest... but as you know... as far as the brass at AA and US, we are already being marketed as ONE. Hell... they're spending millions making commercials advertising to the world that we are GOING to combine. Hence the "New American"!

As far as I'm concerned, when we go the table from this point forward, we are going as the "Fleet Group" for the New American, not US!

It’s time get back what we “donated” to the Company through the lean years. The Industry is now awash in profits, and billions of it come from Baggage Fees. Baggage Handlers are worth more than at anytime in history!

The unknowns are no longer an obstacle...

We know we will be a world class carrier...
We know who will represent us even after the merger...
We know negotiations are in a stage that should be considered advanced...
We know we have the wherewithal to go the rest of the distance... let's do this!
Roa,
I agree with you. However I think many people need to realize, we are not in section 6 negotiations as the worlds largest carrier. We are in section 6 as where we stand as US Airways. Hence, the reason for my question, on what people think about where our best leverage is. I know the logical answer is both. Just interested on what the members on here feel.

Roa,
I agree with you. However I think many people need to realize, we are not in section 6 negotiations as the worlds largest carrier. We are in section 6 as where we stand as US Airways. Hence, the reason for my question, on what people think about where our best leverage is. I know the logical answer is both. Just interested on what the members on here feel.

Perhaps the key to this is patience... suppose section six bleeds over a few months... isn't Single Carrier, and Government approval just a few months away anyway?

Charlie,

We may technically be considered the 5th largest... but as you know... as far as the brass at AA and US we are already being market as ONE. Hell they're spending millions making commercials advertising to the world that we are GOING to combine. Hence the "New American"!

As far as I'm concerned, when we go the table from this point forward, we are going as the "Fleet Group" for the New American, not US!
Roa,
That's exactly my point. We are in section 6 negotiations for US Airways. There are certain things though that maybe better handled as the largest carrier in the world. My point is this. If you get a T/A before the merger is finalized. The company is hell bent on saying that we are the 5th largest carrier. And the merger still stands a possibility of not being finalized. So their stance is, they are not going to give in on leading industry standards until joint talks. Because they don't know for sure on the merger being approved. Their position is the leading industry contract will come in joint talks, once the merger is finalized.

Perhaps the key to this is patience... suppose section six bleeds over a few months... isn't Single Carrier, and Government approval just a few months away anyway?
Since the coalition has been announced. Single carrier status can not be declared until both the TWU and IAM both agree to declare it.

Roa,
That's exactly my point. We are in section 6 negotiations for US Airways. There are certain things though that maybe better handled as the largest carrier in the world. My point is this. If you get a T/A before the merger is finalized. The company is hell bent on saying that we are the 5th largest carrier. And the merger still stands a possibility of not being finalized. So their stance is, they are not going to give in on leading industry standards until joint talks. Because they don't know for sure on the merger being approved. Their position is the leading industry contract will come in joint talks, once the merger is finalized.

Charlie,

I understand the realities of our position in six at this time as US...
I guess the question is this... how diligent will the new AA be to hammer out a Transition Agreement, if little will change in terms of a combined fleet synergy at least for a couple of years. We know who will be running this new carrier... and we know his track record on showing a sense of urgency to combine work groups.... ask the Pilots!

You may have a valid point regarding what the company is willing, and obligated to do in six as US, and I suppose a mediator would rule in their favor in that regard.

Since the coalition has been announced. Single carrier status can not be declared until both the TWU and IAM both agree to declare it.
Charlie,

Does this mean the AA/TWU can prevent the combination in terms of acquiring a single carrier certificate? In other words... do we have the leverage to ask for an agreement before they can exploit the merger synergies?

Charlie,

I understand the realities of our position in six at this time as US...
I guess the question is this... how diligent will the new AA be to hammer out a Transition Agreement, if little will change in terms of a combined fleet synergy at least for a couple of years. We know who will be running this new carrier... and we know his track record on showing a sense of urgency to combine work groups. Ask the Pilots.

You may have a valid pint regarding what the company is willing, and obligated to do in six as US, and I suppose a mediator would rule in their favor in that regard.
Yes, we know who is running it. And time will tell if he learned his lesson from the pilot group in the previous merger. Rumor has it, that he has. And he has told the creditors that all groups will be integrated quickly in this merger. If he truly wants to Integrate quickly, then we should see some movement now that we have this coalition, because we have made it clear, we won't be Integrated until we get our US contract.

Charlie,

Does this mean the AA/TWU can prevent the combination in terms of acquiring a single carrier certificate? In other words... do we have the leverage to ask for an agreement before they can exploit the merger synergies?
Roa
In the by laws of the coalition, it states that both the Presidents of the two unions will agree on single carrier status being claimed. Not sure if that answers your question. But we now don't have to worry about just the TWU claiming it, and then having to declare for a election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back