DL announcing raises, changes to Profit Sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.
bob@las-AA said:
bob thinks whatever management tells him to think. 

Yep keeps me employed and never needing a shop steward for any reason.
You want to think like management but you're too "scared" to take the leap and join their house.

That says all I need to really know about you.

T5towbar said:
Well the new carts look pretty sharp. (for baggage carts.......)

So a hub or a major station, the progression should be easy to move up to a benefited employee then?  That's typical, because the hubs (and the larger stations) are the only places of growth anywhere in the system. You always have to have major time working in a outstation. 
And the RR is like part-time, and people who are presently working PT choose that voluntarily (like some senior people choose it), or either downgraded involuntarily, or coming from RR to benifited and have to take PT because the FT spots are taken?   Just curious, because when I was with Continental, most of the growth was in the hubs, and you had to have the time in (ie: seniority) to put in a bid card go go elsewhere. But we always hired (when we had a hiring wave - I can recall we had three of them in my career) at FT, instead of PT, because attrition took care of the rest. Now everything is all screwed up.

Thanks for the info.
Not all hubs see a quick progression. My example just used two of the most rapidly growing stations in the system.

The company states that they will not involuntarily downgrade someone to RR, but anything's possible?

As for PT lines, if that's all that's left, that's what a junior person will be left to choose from. In my station, there's only one line, and it goes "kinda" high...

Congratulations to all at Delta! It`s fantastic you guys n gals work at an airline that values it`s employees.

Awesome news for the Delta employees and I am truly envious of how good you guys have it!  Highest pay in the industry AND profit sharing, no union dues for most groups, free unlimited first class travel, the list goes on.  Wish circumstances were different for me back in the day and could have hired on with them.

topDawg said:

You can prove that right? 

Didn't think so.
Well let's look at it this way then!

What would benefit a union drive more:
A. A company announcing a 14.5% pay cut and riling up the troops or
B. A company issuing a 14.5% pay raise without a unions input?

Do you honestly think the IAM is happy about this? Didn't think so.

Amen!!! What amazes me is that such a positive thing can be turned into a huge pissing match on here. And when I say positive, I'm not only speaking of Delta. This announcement has raised the bar for everyone else as well. Simply the mere fact that we're no longer going backwards and are actually taking huge steps forward as an industry should be enough for most people but it certainly doesn't appear to be that way on here.

southwind said:

I'm a supporter of the right of workers to collectively bargain, but unions have a real struggle ahead of them. They proved during the airline bankruptcy era that they aren't very powerful at resisting pay and benefit cuts under section 1113. Their strengths are usually during good times when they tend to win pay and benefit increases, yet here is the biggest non-union airline (except, of course, the pilots) out in front - several steps ahead of the unions. Unions are powerful during the upswing and fairly impotent during the depressions.

If the TWU and IAM merely get "Delta + 7%," a legitimate question will be "why, again, are we paying dues so that we can get what non-union DL employees get, along with what Parker promised months ago?"

I understand the benefits of a contract and the procedural protections the contract offers, but AA's employees have paid tens of thousands of dollars for that "protection" over the last several years via much lower pay rates than WN offers and without the huge profit sharing that DL has delivered the last three years.

southwind said:

Man it is all about money with you. 

Okay question, so if the main reason people on say the ramp want the IAM is scope and insurance.......WTF does this pay raise have to do with it? 

So again, show us some data that says the main reason the FA and ACS want a union is pay. 

ASSuming............................. 

bob@las-AA said:

bob thinks whatever management tells him to think. 

Yep keeps me employed and never needing a shop steward for any reason.

no it doesn't. Its shocking but you don't have to think your a number on a page to keep a job. 

WeAAsles said:
You want to think like management but you're too "scared" to take the leap and join their house.

That says all I need to really know about you.
exactly. 

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/09/19/delta-air-lines-inc-hands-out-big-raises.aspx?source=eogyholnk0000001

delta-pay-change_large.JPG

700UW said:
This is nothing new to the frontline folks at Delta. This was merely Delta responding to the employees wishes to have less of their pay tied to to the once-a-year, highly variable payout in February we call profit-sharing. This was one of the areas that the company asked employees for their opinions on in the annual survey.... It's not as if profit-sharing is going the way of the dodo bird at Delta as is the case with AA.... 10% is still quite sizable after all. This of course says nothing of the 401k enhancement of which hopefully everyone takes advantage of. How's that old saying about one in the hand being better than 2 in the bush?

FWAAA said:
I'm a supporter of the right of workers to collectively bargain, but unions have a real struggle ahead of them. They proved during the airline bankruptcy era that they aren't very powerful at resisting pay and benefit cuts under section 1113. Their strengths are usually during good times when they tend to win pay and benefit increases, yet here is the biggest non-union airline (except, of course, the pilots) out in front - several steps ahead of the unions. Unions are powerful during the upswing and fairly impotent during the depressions.

If the TWU and IAM merely get "Delta + 7%," a legitimate question will be "why, again, are we paying dues so that we can get what non-union DL employees get, along with what Parker promised months ago?"

I understand the benefits of a contract and the procedural protections the contract offers, but AA's employees have paid tens of thousands of dollars for that "protection" over the last several years via much lower pay rates than WN offers and without the huge profit sharing that DL has delivered the last three years.
well said.

the bigger issue is simply that the entire industry has the money to increase pay at this point but the IAM and TWU are BOTH involved in representing AA workers and did it knowing full well that Parker wanted to sign very long contracts that could not be reopened for years and also that any JCBAs at AA would not include profit sharing.

Airline execs are being chided by unions - including DALPA -for having enormous amounts of money to increase stock buybacks while not being able to significantly increase employee pay.

DL is pushing its employees at or above the highest wages in the industry while other unions are tied up in negotiations that have produced little to nothing and none of them are resulting in total compensation increases anywhere close to what DL is giving.

There are very few companies as large as DL in any US industry that are increasing compensation as fast and as high as what DL is doing.

DL is running an outstanding company, is gaining the revenue premiums necessary to spend more than its peers, and has not loaded the balance sheet with expenses that limit their ability to lift employee pay near as much as other airlines have done, inclduing with massive airplane orders that can't be justified based on current fuel prices.

it is also noteworthy that a number of credit analysts have noted that DL is likely to retain investment grade status in the next 12-18 months that DL has set as the goal for doing so.

Democracy - both in the labor movement and in society as a whole - works best when the exchange of ideas and information is at its peak

DL execs said that they heard their non-contract employees to say that they wanted a higher percentage of their pay in their regular paychecks.

They not only got a raise that exceeds the offset in profit sharing but they are now pushing the highest levels of compensation in the industry and also gained more retirement money while their unionized competitors, including DL pilots, are tied up in negotiations that haven't resulted in anywhere near the same levels of increases. Further, DL non-contract employees retain a level of profit sharing percentage comparable to what WN employees have

yes, it is likely that DL employees will gain even more raises while their peers at other airlines are locked into long-term contracts that don't include profit sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back