GAS Fracking. ....Which one is right ?

Gasland had some doctored clips in it to dramtize what can happen.

A lot of the issues with Fracking depend upon where you're fracking. Out here on the Bakken Field there are few if any issues. The fields in PA, NY (Marcellus Field) is a bit different. Can it be done safely? According to all but the lunatic environmental fringe the short answer is YES.

To my knowledge the problems in western PA and New York are confined to just over a dozen homes. Long term effects remain to be seen

Gasland had some doctored clips in it to dramtize what can happen.

A lot of the issues with Fracking depend upon where you're fracking. Out here on the Bakken Field there are few if any issues. The fields in PA, NY (Marcellus Field) is a bit different. Can it be done safely? According to all but the lunatic environmental fringe the short answer is YES.

To my knowledge the problems in western PA and New York are confined to just over a dozen homes. Long term effects remain to be seen

I much agree Sparrow.
What is DEFINITELY needed is Federal Regulations. WHY ?
Because Imagine the 'short cuts' that WOULD be taken via GREED, if this country didn't have Federal Regs.

(Think FAA, or FRA) as 2 examples.

Some would say....No Feds. just State regs. But we ALL Know different states have different Agenda's.

TX vs (say) MA. The FEDS eliminate agenda's !

I gotta' admit though Sparrow, seeing the PROPER use of all that layed Steel protective equipt. is starting to change my mind about fracking somewhat.

Bears, you're a little too brainwashed sometimes. Regs usually get created when someone's agenda gets stonewalled, and there's no support for a law.

My father in law has worked on gas wells for the past eight years. Fracking has been safely used for decades, and managed well enough (pun intended) by the states.

The Feds need to stick to the Constitution when it comes to what they regulate. This stuff is overstepping their bounds. As usual.

Fracking is an election controversy in NC this year. We have a gas vein underground but university and state geologist say it is too small for anyone to invest the money to setup a well(s). But that did not stop an out of state energy company from creating a shell real estate company from buying 5000 acres over the pocket of gas and developing much of it and then selling the homes to average people but retaining mineral rights. Some say it was deceptive orhers say buyer beware. Read the fine print. It was discovered when home owners tried to sell. Buyers didnt want to invest in property that could be surrounded by gas wells and the environment they create or the prospect that the drinking water may be contaminated.

And that is the controversy here. The natural buffer between ground water and gas is between 50 & 150' whereas in PA it is a safer 400'. In a drought prone state, do we want to risk our drinking water when there is a glut on natural gas?

My father in law has worked on gas wells for the past eight years. Fracking has been safely used for decades, and managed well enough (pun intended) by the states.

The Feds need to stick to the Constitution when it comes to what they regulate. This stuff is overstepping their bounds. As usual.

Yeah, and my brother-in-law is an executive in an electrical power company and will tell you to your face that coal-fired generating plants do not pollute the atmosphere. Maybe your father-in-law should tell some of the people in Central and West Texas whose tap water can be set on fire as it comes out of the faucet since fracking started in their area that they are just hallucinating.

The Constitution does not address deliberate, criminal pollution of natural resources. And, the oil and gas companies have deliberately polluted the air and water for as long as I can remember. (Well, the intent was not to pollute. The intent was to ignore and/or circumvent Federal pollution standards.) And, let's not forget that I worked for an oil company for many years. If you're so sure that fracking is absolutely safe and non-polluting, why don't you buy up the houses in those areas where the homeowners are "claiming" that their water is polluted? You can make a fortune by just saying that it was all a mistake. The water is perfectly safe, and if you should see a flame, you're just imagining things.

Reactions: 1 person
Keep in mind that it is not just the possibilty of odorless, colorless, tasteless gas coming out of the tap that problematic. The hydraulic fluid that is mixed with thousands of gallons of water that is used to crack the shale may also come out of the tap. The process takes a more valuable resource and trades it forever for a less valuable resource. water is a basic necessity to live and grow crops. We dont need natural gas.

Not to worry Jim/RDU. Corporate America and local state interests are here to help you. They would never sacrifice your safety and well being for a profit.

Maybe your father-in-law should tell some of the people in Central and West Texas whose tap water can be set on fire as it comes out of the faucet since fracking started in their area that they are just hallucinating.

Which people, Jim?...

When a liberal leaning site like Politifact says that Perry's statement below is mostly true, there's probably not a story waiting to be told.

http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2012/feb/29/rick-perry/rick-perry-says-theres-no-proven-instance-groundwa/

Fracking is an election controversy in NC this year. We have a gas vein underground but university and state geologist say it is too small for anyone to invest the money to setup a well(s). But that did not stop an out of state energy company from creating a shell real estate company from buying 5000 acres over the pocket of gas and developing much of it and then selling the homes to average people but retaining mineral rights. Some say it was deceptive orhers say buyer beware. Read the fine print. It was discovered when home owners tried to sell. Buyers didnt want to invest in property that could be surrounded by gas wells and the environment they create or the prospect that the drinking water may be contaminated.

And that is the controversy here. The natural buffer between ground water and gas is between 50 & 150' whereas in PA it is a safer 400'. In a drought prone state, do we want to risk our drinking water when there is a glut on natural gas?

http://www.marcellus...ources/maps.php

http://www.neuseriver.org/neuseissuesandfacts/fracking.html

In nc, it is not a good deal. I love the idea of using and even exporting natural gas but here, the local papers quote our geologists who say the risk of water contamination is higher.

Bears, you're a little too brainwashed sometimes. Regs usually get created when someone's agenda gets stonewalled, and there's no support for a law.

Riiiight Eric,...no regs. !

Imagine the state of affairs if the Airlines didn't have to 'toe the mark' via the FAA ! !
Imagine the state of affairs if the Railroads didn't have to 'toe the mark' via the FRA ! !

(and YOU call ME brainwashed) sheesh !

In nc, we have a republican gen assy that built a commission to write the rules for fracking. They chose individuals with ties to the gas industry insteAd of with tie to the communities effected. So if there is any doubt it can be done safely, we will never know until the cancer rates spikes ten years from now.

Riiiight Eric,...no regs. !

Imagine the state of affairs if the Airlines didn't have to 'toe the mark' via the FAA ! !
Imagine the state of affairs if the Railroads didn't have to 'toe the mark' via the FRA ! !

Airlines and railroads would probably probably be a lot more profitable without them.