IAM Fleet Service topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
got this from another thread. Sorry if you already read it . but found interesting in case some haven't

"In a nutshell, I find the "targets" and the corresponding bonus "awards" very interesting. For example, these individuals are eligible for cash bonuses of up to 200% of their base salaries, based on a number of performance results (baggage complaints vs. our "peer" airlines...which oddly enough comprises the smallest portion of the award!, on time results, etc.) and financial results (you might think stock price would be a factor?) Clever that the BASE measure for the stock price just happens to be near a 52 week low, and will then compare to where it is three years from now... why not 1 year from now?

So here is where the heartburn settles in.... IF we finish #1 among our peer group (consisting of 12 airlines) then the exec.s "win" a bonus of up to 200% of their salary. If we finish exactly IN THE MIDDLE of the group (that would be an "average" performance for most of us!) then the Senior VP collects an extra 70%, the Exec. VP pockets an extra 100%, the Pres grabs an extra 115% whilst our "esteemed" CEO walks with a cool 125% above and beyond his normal salary. AND THIS IS THEIR TARGET... to finish DEAD MIDDLE of the pack! If we finish in the BOTTOM 1/3 of the pack, these folks STILL receive an EXTRA 30% (SVP), 43% (EVP), 49% (Pres) and 54% (CEO)! I believe in the past Mr. Parker referred to these and other bonuses as "at risk income."

So maybe our next contract should follow the same intelligent thinking; If a flight departs OR arrives "on time," ("average" or targeted times by the company) then all crewmembers should receive bonuses of: 70% for all F/A's beside the "A"; 100% for the "A" F/A; 115% for the F/O; and 125% for the CAP. If we depart or arrive ahead of schedule, the bonuses go up. If we fall to a point of departing or arriving no later than 2 of our 3 "competitors" (or 8 of 12) than we should still collect an extra 30%, 43%, 49% and 54% ABOVE our base salaries."

Now think about that before voting on a substandard contract. IT doesn't seem that high oil prices and recession have any factor on these bozos getting more off the backs of frontline employees that actually keep this sinking ship afloat .

You know, O-man, I thought about this myself a few weeks ago, although it is sheer whimsy because I know it would never happen. But dig if you will a picture where all US Airways collective bargaining groups wages were directly tied to those aforementioned metrics. The typical argument amongst most groups to paraphrase would be "pay us more and we'll do a better job," and if I was management, I would say "prove it."

For example, if we are in the bottom dwellers for a quarter, then it is a pitiful salary up to a very generous Southwestseque salary should we finish in the top positions. Parker is fond of saying, "There is nothing more expensive that running a poor operation." Well, Mr. Parker think of all the money that could be saved through a good operation or conversely, the employees pay a greater share of a poor operation.

I know that you and I along with several other people from this board argued about the work habits and abilities of fleet service, even so far as to when I culled through various on time performances of Southwest vs. US Airways in various stations. If the pay difference for fleet service was being in the basement versus top shelf with pay being $9/hour versus $23/hour, the company might actually be able to get PHL fixed. I am sure there would be a great deal of peer pressure to get planes out on time and connect bags. Who knows... rampers might actually help each other!

Okay, obviously, I'm dreaming... back to my couch.

So Snoozes Jester.

I understand your point. however the upper brass isn't taking a pay decrease for poor performance they are guaranteed there base
only to supersede that by more than 100% if the worker bees exceed performance goals. My point being in all of this is they
sit at the table crying how WE the backbone of this company has to be prepared for all the gloom and doom of the impending future
but they have triggers that activate either way as long as the planes leave on time and the bags and pax complaints are down.

Jester we on the east have been down this road a couple of times now with previous management and you know what it's an old
45 record with the same skip in it .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back