Judge Blocks NW f/as right to strike

The injunction prohibits any sort of work action, including chaos, sick etc...

See the 4 page ruling here:

http://www.nwaafa.org/aefiles/Injunction%2...er%20082506.pdf

Well Tech...looks like a judge just told an American citizen that he has to go to work. He cannot call in sick, he cannot take a vacation day, he cannot have car trouble, eye trouble, PMS or a hangnail. The judge also by this action has invoked his own version of the PEB. I'm a mechanic, not a flight attendant, but I feel like I'm under attack.

The injunction order says a sick out. It does not prohibit any employee from legitimately calling in sick.

Just ask the APA how much an illegal sick out can cost the union.

Well Tech...looks like a judge just told an American citizen that he has to go to work. He cannot call in sick, he cannot take a vacation day, he cannot have car trouble, eye trouble, PMS or a hangnail. The judge also by this action has invoked his own version of the PEB. I'm a mechanic, not a flight attendant, but I feel like I'm under attack.

I pray to God that you're better at maintaining airplanes than you are at understanding the legal issues involved in this case.

I'm neither a flight attendant nor a mechanic.

Northwest, workers differ on resolution

JOSHUA FREED
Associated Press
Wed, Aug. 30, 2006

MINNEAPOLIS - Northwest Airlines Corp. and its flight attendants, locked in a dispute that could end in a strike, offered sharply differing views on Wednesday on whether they can solve their problems at the negotiating table.

Last week a federal district judge blocked random, unannounced job actions planned by flight attendants, who are trying to force Northwest to negotiate a better deal. On Wednesday the Association of Flight Attendants told the judge that it appears there is little likelihood that talks would be fruitful.

However, Northwest claimed it is willing to talk and that it "is working on its own new ideas to propose to the AFA negotiators, and would also be pleased to consider any new proposals made by the AFA negotiators as soon as they are made," it wrote in a letter to U.S. District Court Judge Victor Marrero on Wednesday.

"Northwest stands ready willing and able to continue negotiations with the AFA negotiators at this time and is prepared to return to the negotiating table at the earliest opportunity," its letter said.

Marrero blocked a strike on Friday and had told both sides to report by Wednesday whether more talks would be fruitful. He has not said when he'll make a final decision about whether flight attendants can strike.

"There is no reason to believe that the company would sit down and negotiate fairly after they have destroyed our contract, cut our wages and benefits by 40 percent, and attacked our right to strike," said Mollie Reiley, interim president of the Northwest branch of the Association of Flight Attendants. "They would like us to return to the table while the injunction is in place and our hands are tied."

After flight attendants twice rejected negotiated settlements, Northwest imposed a new contract that included cuts in base pay of about 21 percent. The union has said it amounts to more like 40 percent when health insurance cost hikes are factored in.

The union is threatening random, unannounced work actions to disrupt Northwest's operations. Northwest says a strike like that could potentially kill it. It has also argued that a strike would be illegal.

The airline has been operating under bankruptcy protection for nearly a year.

Calling in sick, is not a legal strike. Doing a slow down is not a legal strike. Those are cheap low brow things to do. But then CHAOS is a job action to do to a company, when you believe you dont have the full support of the membership.

Hey, it's Mr. Pro-CompAAny...FA Mikey! :down:

I should check the 1993 SCAB List and see if you're on it???

If the RLA is trumped by the BK Code; allowing a change in status quo while maintaining the free flow of services: all closed shop provisions under the RLA become moot because you cannot allow forced Union Membership and dues payment while allowing unilateral changes in the status quo relationship without the ability for one side the resort to self help.

The ability of a Union to resort to a strike is fundamental to their being. The ability to engage in concerted self help is fundamental to the ability to require membership in the Union as a condition of employment.

If the Union is unable engage in self-help, they are unable to engage in a fundamental rational for their existence and their ability to require the payment if dues as a condition of employment becomes little more than an exercise in exhtortion.

hey if all else fails, if you should go directly by the rule book, just think of the slow down that would cause and the headaches that would create at the top!

I didn't say I necessarily agreed with it Don. I do remember how much the APA was fined when it was determined (by a judge) that they were orchestrating a job action. :down:

Yes Don, we are under attack. The NWA F/A's are about to have a Jesus moment. I only hope they don't blink. :up:

I didn't say I necessarily agreed with it Don. I do remember how much the APA was fined when it was determined (by a judge) that they were orchestrating a job action. :down:

Yes Don, we are under attack. The NWA F/A's are about to have a Jesus moment. I only hope they don't blink. :up:

That is why it is imperative to have a Drs. note for any and all illness, real or not. Nothing can be done if you have valid documentation from a Dr. Cough cough....Work to rule is only effective if everyone participates. You have to have your in flight manual out and open to follow EVERY rule. ex. If your company states, serve 4 rows and then replenish drinks, do just that. By the book!

Northwest Airlines posts July profit of $101 mln

Thu Aug 31, 2006

NEW YORK, Aug 31 (Reuters) - Northwest Airlines Corp. (NWACQ.PK: Quote, Profile, Research), which is restructuring its operations under bankruptcy protection, on Thursday reported net income of $101 million for July.

The airline also said it recorded $39 million in reorganization expenses, primarily consisting of charges related to aircraft rejection.

Hmmm... Clinton appointed the judge who granted the TRO, and IIRC, Clinton called more airline PEB's than any other president since Deregulation.

Yet it is the Republicans who are unfriendly to labor? Please...

Go put your tin foil hat on and look for the black helicopters flying over your subdivision...

Since 1968 to present day...there has been a republican administration 26 out of the past 38 years. And the Senate and Congress have been occupied by majority Republicans since 1994. I can't cite off hand how many Supreme Court Justices have been appointed by the Republican Administrations...I think, ALL OF THEM.

Frankly it's a moot point.

Case on point = Earl Warren, US Aupreme Court Justice. Appointed by Eisenhower, a Republican.

Turns out to be one of the most Liberal activist judges in Supreme Court history.

The point being is once they get to the federal bench their "Party Allegiance" is often out the window.

The difference isn't Republican or Democrat. The issue is activist judges versus Constructionist judges.

Put another way The role of an activist judiciary is to "Make Law" versus the constructionist view of interpreting and applyimg existing Laws based on precedence.

Republicans generally favor Constructionists and Democrats preper Activists.

But neither can predict how their appointee will rule.

I believe its the other way around.

Northwest, workers differ on resolution

JOSHUA FREED
Associated Press
Wed, Aug. 30, 2006

MINNEAPOLIS -

However, Northwest claimed it is willing to talk and that it "is working on its own new ideas to propose to the AFA negotiators, and would also be pleased to consider any new proposals made by the AFA negotiators as soon as they are made," it wrote in a letter to U.S. District Court Judge Victor Marrero on Wednesday.

"Northwest stands ready willing and able to continue negotiations with the AFA negotiators at this time and is prepared to return to the negotiating table at the earliest opportunity," its letter said.

Marrero blocked a strike on Friday and had told both sides to report by Wednesday whether more talks would be fruitful. He has not said when he'll make a final decision about whether flight attendants can strike.

Yup, I think it would be in the interest of the company, its execs and the stakeholders to sit back down and negotiate a real contract, rather than some unrealistic, throw-in-the-kitchen-sink proposal.

I can't cite off hand how many Supreme Court Justices have been appointed by the Republican Administrations...I think, ALL OF THEM.

Two to be exact. Ginsberg and Breyer.

Of the remaining seven, there's still one Ford appointee left (Stevens), and two each from Reagan (Scalia, Kennedy), Bush I (Souter, Thomas), Clinton, and Bush II (Alito, Roberts).

But as mentioned above, it doesn't matter who appointed them. What matters is how they vote.

Souter, Ginsberg, and Breyer tend to vote liberal, often joined by Kennedy and Stevens, even though Souter, Kennedy and Stevens were appointed by Republican administrations.

Glad to see this topic did not degrade into a republicrat/democan debate :p

Looking at the love fest of Bush/Clinton and their mutual actions might make one think that the differences are not as dissimilar as one would be 'lead' to believe. (outside of the hyperbole)

JMHO, this is a new 'GLOBAL' world here folks and to polarize yourself to one party or another does not mean a thing.

UT

BTW,
Let’s drop the liberal label, as it is almost as redundant as the terrorist label.

PS:
US Labor (and other problems) is getting the 'SHAFTA' from both parties.

Pork! Pork! Pork!
:mf_boff:

NWA made $101 MM net income for July and had $1.74 BB in cash and like as of the end of July. How can a judge say that NWA must get $200 MM from the F/A's? WALK THE LINE AND I SUPPORT THE F/A's!!!!!! just my thoughts......

Back