Teamsters "raiding" TWU?

Is it true,

The Teamster were driving around the picket signs in Tulsa at the Hostess plant on Sheridan?

I see the TWU members standing with the picketers.

Did AMFA have members their in support?

In Solidarity;
CIO

Better yet did the Teamsters and the TWU support the AMFA strike at NWA?
How about the IAM? Talk about your solidarity.....

Teamsters: The Butchers, The Bakers, The Candlestick Makers.............and anyone else with dues to give.

I guess today was "wear your teamster shirt day. I saw the few Teamster t-shirts at AFW today and wondered why does anyone think they will be better represented by the Teamsters. I see 10 times as many AMFA shirts on any given day. I can only hope that translates to signed cards.
At the end of the day AA89, if the number of shirts does it for you.....

Good luck with that.
I've stayed out of this topic for awhile because most of this has been said before. But the Hostess situation is another reminder that the IBT is just another catch all industrial union. So why replace one with another?? I really don't see the appeal.

If you take from my post that t-shirts make a union then you might want to re-read the first part. Just another catch-all industrial union with no direct accountability and no specific interests in a particular craft. That is a fact !!!

No they never supported AMFA,but all of them were scabs or supported the hiring of scabs.
The fact is a strike was called. Scabs crossing is no reason to cross a picket line.
IAM was the biggest instigator on not supporting the strike. It was about money not protecting the craft.

We had TWU AMT's working on NWA aircraft during the strike. They did this on their own after or before their shift. Many knew about this including the TWU but had a blind eye to it. The industrial unions representing AMT's do not care about the craft. They just wanted to see AMFA fail by scabbing or supporting a scab by doing nothing about it.

At least get the story straight.....

With Hostess claiming that its union contracts were too onerous,
the Teamsters acquiesced in September to significant pay and pension cuts for workers, even though employees had agreed to concessions in Hostess' previous bankruptcy. The bakers' union, however, fought the proposal, culminating with a strike launched last Friday that affected more than 20 of Hostess' bakeries, according to the company.
That is exactly what I said without all the teamster spin and butt covering.

The teamsters voted yes to more concessions to hostess. The bakers said no more concessions.

Some of you need to step back and clear your head.....Then come back and read what most everyone on here is saying about UNIONS."Really" what support do you expect from the members of these unions? and this has been the case for a very long time, it's not new here, ASA, NWA. The contempt for any union you feel is not a democracy. You know the ones were the members are _____!

hiding???? Seriously, now don't get mad this is only a question, Are you some kind of a moron? To improve my plight I became a shop rep. Working within AMFA to try to improve things, I now believe AMFA just can't do it. If you took it as complaining, sorry I wasn't, I believe I said "We" so I'm right there to blame with AMFA. Now see if there system works contact Local 14 let them know I am here so I can be voted out. I will let you know how that worked out for me.
I really have to ask again because it goes right to the point of AMFA or TWU or IBT.

Where did you fail?
And what could another union have done to change your failure?

Hey... I'm with ya here.. "I" failed because I thought that AMFA could work.. I can tell you the only thing I have with AMFA is "WE" have no problem throwing other members under the BUS!!!!

That is exactly what I said without all the teamster spin and butt covering.

The teamsters voted yes to more concessions to hostess. The bakers said no more concessions.

There go the twinkies, and the jobs. Didn't you learn anything from failed NWA strike? In the end the corporations will win, and the workers pay for the golden parachutes by going on the unemployment line.

Responsibility is very much part of good representation. Read the full article before you comment.

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/11/15/4988814/teamsters-bakery-workers-should.html

At least get the story straight.....
The Teamsters tried to save the industry and the jobs. Sometimes that is how a responsible union acts.

A small portion from the Huffington Post
http://www.huffingto..._n_2145851.html

Until the company announced Friday that it intended to liquidate and lay off most of its nearly 19,000 employees, Hostess Brands, the maker of iconic Twinkies and Wonder Bread, had spent several months in acrimonious talks with the two unions that represent the bulk of its workforce.

Ultimately, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, and the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers' International Union chose very different paths in negotiations, raising the question of just how much workers should give up when management insists the company's survival depends on it.

With Hostess claiming that its union contracts were too onerous,
the Teamsters acquiesced in September to significant pay and pension cuts for workers, even though employees had agreed to concessions in Hostess' previous bankruptcy. The bakers' union, however, fought the proposal, culminating with a strike launched last Friday that affected more than 20 of Hostess' bakeries, according to the company.
Now, Hostess is winding down. Publicly, management has attributed its decision directly to the bakers' strike, even though the company had plenty of problems aside from labor issues, including a customer base that has been turning away from the likes of Twinkies and Ding-Dongs for healthier foods.

Even knowing Hostess may have been doomed in the long run, some Teamsters said they can't help but feel like collateral damage in the bakers' union's showdown with management.

"We did everything we could to save the company," said Joseph Ortuso, a Teamster and sales route driver from New Jersey who'd been with Hostess or its acquisitions for more than two decades. "We never gave up during bankruptcy. We fought in the marketplace to retain our business. In the end, somebody else made the decision."

So the teamsters are a mirror image of the twu!
Both agree to concessions only to have the company return asking for more concessions which the teamsters and twu are willing to accept. Kudos to the Bakers union for say enough is enough.

There go the twinkies, and the jobs. Didn't you learn anything from failed NWA strike? In the end the corporations will win, and the workers pay for the golden parachutes by going on the unemployment line.

Responsibility is very much part of good representation. Read the full article before you comment.

http://www.sacbee.co...ers-should.html

And I thought the Labor Movement, the Political Arena Campaigning, and the Collection of Dues Money into a single pool, was supposed to put a stop to the Corporate Wins and tyranny against working men and women. You know at least keep the balance of power even and equal. No! not with the Teamsters and 1.4 million members and millions of dollars.

Hell, we don't need to pay union dues to cave in and give up.
At least you're honest about what the Teamsters stand for.
What a freaking farce, charge union dues under the claim that size and money equals strength, and then publicly admit that all the size, money, and power is good for is to capitulate.

Why not call a Nation Wide 1.4 million member strike in support of the hostess employees and show us how that size and power has meaning? I will tell you why we wil not see it, because appointed pussies like yourself run the industrial unions and the labor movement. Use that TWU/IBT Alliance for something other than protecting the failing institution of union dues collection, to keep pussies making $150K + plus per year. TWU/IBT have the power right now to shut this economy down, and what do you do? Claim that responsible representation means never use that power and instead give up.

At least the real union leaders of the past would even go to jail or prison for the cause of fairness, all we have now is cowards that give away the farm on a regular basis.

You should actually be publicly shamed, humiliated, and punished for claiming to be a "union man".
Instead you are nothing than an appointed, unelected, unaccountable, greedy money laundering pussy.

So you will rollover like a yellow belly coward when the fight comes to your own members jobs, but yet you carry picket sign in "support" of other members baking bread? Why not start worrying about the bread, or lack there of, on your own members tables instead of the baking of real bread down at 11th at Sheridan.

COWARD ASS SMOKE SCREEN FARCE!

For over 10 years our headcount has dwindled even in the face of TWU concessions for jobs, and you do nothing.

Then you run down to 11th and Sheridan to make a public appearance with a picket to pretend to be a real union man. No friggin wonder the labor movement as a whole is being killed off. Ignorant asses like yourself that think unionism is a slogan, a tshirt, a picket sign, and big splash party, or some campaign yard sign...while the movement gets decimated.... while being an appointed leader believing this crap and getting extra pay to propagate it......well, in short we are all doomed. Unless leaders like yourself, change your views and grow a set of nads, instead making every issue into politics and defending a failing institution, you and me will both be screwed over from now on.

Name Calling gets you no-where!!! Thank goodness we don't have you representing us. You have been in the minority every since you no longer wanted to represent the TWU membership. You and the likes of Owens, Pikes and several others have done more damage to the TWU membership then any other group combined.

Supporting the right to work coalitions is a trade mark with you and helping Management destroying Unions is a favorite past time of yours.

If you would stop and evaluate your beliefs you would understand what Solidarity really means!!!! The Majority at AA continues to not support Amfa. The membership has spoken on many occasions their wishes, why not listen for a change? Instead of pushing your own agenda?

I wonder what would really happen if the presidents of several TWU locals at AA would have a positive attitude towards life and support the "TWU Oath of Office" and quit down grading every decision that does not go their way, what kind of Solidarity we would really have!!!

Life is to short to live in hatred!!!

In Solidarity,
CIO

Truth Hurts, and AA/TWU alliance prevented the membership vote in '04 to really know regarding union support and you know it.

If you are so damn confident then sign a card and let's see who the membership does or does not support.

Preventing a vote, or recruiting your industrial union partner the ibt to dilute support for change, proves nothing but that you are afraid to know the true membership will. You claim to speak for the majority, but do everything in your power to prevent the vote to find out.

You are even against forced competition, and non-compulosry dues because you know the TWU fails so miserably. Not for the members benefit, but protection of failure.

Hey... I'm with ya here.. "I" failed because I thought that AMFA could work.. I can tell you the only thing I have with AMFA is "WE" have no problem throwing other members under the BUS!!!!
I have been very specific on this forum as to how we love the autonomy provided us from AMFA here at SWA.
We control our own negotiations, our local, our money and we vote on everything.
If someone here "fails" us, we can recall them if we want.
No one at AMFA national tells us what to do.
We are AMFA and we make all of our own decisions.

Now you claim that "you failed" and that "AMFA can't work".
Please be specific on your failures and the failures to want to claim are due to AMFA.
The vagueness of your claims makes it impossible to validate them.

It all seems to me that some people need to have other people take care of all their decisions for them.
Even if those other people don't work in the same jobs or even the same industry as them.
They would trust their careers to truckers and plumbers and to people who don't know a thing about aircraft maintenance.

We here at SWA can make our own decisions and if we make bad decisions or fail at something, we will not be putting the blame on AMFA as a whole.

Let me know how you failed and how you think AMFA failed. It would help the discussion.

Craig, i don't know what company you work for or anything about your claims that AMFA can't work. Give me a little background if you can.

So the teamsters are a mirror image of the twu!
Both agree to concessions only to have the company return asking for more concessions which the teamsters and twu are willing to accept. Kudos to the Bakers union for say enough is enough.

Ken, I would have to say no. The teamsters action is a mirror image of the TWU. But the teamsters are worse than the TWU when it comes to full representation.
I do understand what you are saying that both the teamsters and TWU caved to concessions, or agreed to, however you wanna put it.
I too say kudos to the bakers union. Someone had to finally stand up to the company and say this has got to stop somewhere. As like the AMFA members of NWA, the men and women of the bakers union are true union members that said enough is enough...

Back