TLV service ending?

wings396 said:
Jim, in contrast to what you're saying about the ORD route, the TLV was constantly being touted as being profitable. When the company makes a big deal about a new climate controlled cargo facility that was intended to handle pharmaceuticals in PHL for primarily TLV, then decides to cancel the route less than a year later it raises suspicion. Had the route indeed been a loser all along, wouldn't they have considered that prior to investing in the cargo facility? Several factors don't add up with the elimination of this route. I don't think that the cancelation of TLV is the main reason for people speaking out, it's more about the company lying as to why. Losing money is always the most plausible excuse, but many within the company know better than that.
wings,

Are you able to cite a source? I've checked 'Arrivals', specifically the 6/25/15 edition when the new pharmaceutical and health care facility in PHL opened, and it does not mention TLV specifically- in fact it doesn't mention any specific station. 

Are there any other intra- company news outlets that speak to TLV's profitability in the past? People keep referring to how the Company told us it was profitable, but I can't find one reference. 

Thanks.

Don't have anything at my disposal, but prior to the facility opening there was some listing about the top cargo markets for these items that listed the top markets with TLV & CDG at the top.

While it's not really relevant or worth the effort to dig thru past history, many here can recall that the company often referred as to how well the TLV was doing. In the end it all comes down to the same point with the company lying as usual. Either they lied about it for 6 years, or they're lying about cutting the route due to a loss. They just assume that people who pay attention are to stupid to remember what they said last month, or last year.

wings396 said:
While it's not really relevant or worth the effort to dig thru past history, many here can recall that the company often referred as to how well the TLV was doing. In the end it all comes down to the same point with the company lying as usual. Either they lied about it for 6 years, or they're lying about cutting the route due to a loss. They just assume that people who pay attention are to stupid to remember what they said last month, or last year.

Saying a route is doing well can mean a lot of things.  Perhaps it began profitable, but in any single year perhaps not.  Perhaps there were really good quarters, but then the off season killed any profits for the year? Airlines don't tend to comment publicly on the financials of a specific route, so I don't tend to think Parker and company ever talked about the $$ that TLV was making or losing.

Is it not just possible that the simplest answer is the right one - that if the flight had been a money maker, then why would they cancel it?  But you've made specific claims that they have said it's profitable and that the climate controlled facility was for TLV, which you now say was listed as a top market along with CDG and I'm sure others.

Parker is about squeezing every dime out of profit out of this airline.  That alone is enough to make me believe it was dropped because it was a money loser.

On October 22, 2014, our Tel Aviv, Israel (TLV) team members celebrated five years of service to our PHL hub.

Suzanne Boda, SVP Asia, Canada, Europe and Cargo, hosted the group at a local restaurant to mark the occasion. “We are proud to have Tel Aviv as part of our network,” Suzanne said. “Israel is an increasingly important market for us, and our team is doing a great job here. It was appropriate to mark this important five-year milestone.”

.....less than a year latter the pride and importance of the market must have faded..lol

john john said:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/2015/09/17/american-air-ceo-says-financial-losses-doomed-philly-tel-aviv-flight/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix
American said last month that it will discontinue Philadelphia-Tel Aviv because in six years of operation, the flight has never made any money and that it has lost more than $20 million this year alone.
“We loved that route,” Parker told reporters Tuesday. “It was a really hard decision. {But} we couldn’t get it profitable.”

Really, Mr. Parker?  You, the Chairman and CEO of a publicly held airline company, kept a money losing route operational for 6 years only because you "loved that route"?  The Board of Directors and stockholders need to fire your a** yesterday for financial impropriety and mismanagement if this is indeed the truth.  Or, just come clean and tell everybody the real reason for dropping the service.

"Loved that route" indeed.

john john said:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/2015/09/17/american-air-ceo-says-financial-losses-doomed-philly-tel-aviv-flight/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix
American said last month that it will discontinue Philadelphia-Tel Aviv because in six years of operation, the flight has never made any money and that it has lost more than $20 million this year alone.
“We loved that route,” Parker told reporters Tuesday. “It was a really hard decision. {But} we couldn’t get it profitable.”
Regardless of the excuses presented for this action, I still ask the same ?. If PHL - TLV was unprofitable, why wasn't the route moved to JFK? Why abandon Israel to the competition. 

nycbusdriver said:

Really, Mr. Parker?  You, the Chairman and CEO of a publicly held airline company, kept a money losing route operational for 6 years only because you "loved that route"?  The Board of Directors and stockholders need to fire your a** yesterday for financial impropriety and mismanagement if this is indeed the truth.  Or, just come clean and tell everybody the real reason for dropping the service.

"Loved that route" indeed.

Seriously - if every route attempted does not work out - how long should the company try to make it work 1 day 1 month 1 year - international markets are hard to establish however can be very profitable.  If we want that attitude should they also be fired for union contracts that restrict the company's use of human resources?

In my entire career, I've never know of any route that has been operated for this long if it was a loser. I've seen many come and go over the years, both domestic and international. Several markets and stations went away in short time if they weren't profitable, and this was long before Parker came along. I think that most of us know that he was quicker than anyone else to pull the plug on anything that lost money.

Because you have DL and LY flying from JFK to TLV and you have CO from EWR along with LY.

Did they just start this service out of JFK, or has it been there all along? Yea, that's what I thought.....

Back