TLV service ending?

nycbusdriver said:

Really, Mr. Parker?  You, the Chairman and CEO of a publicly held airline company, kept a money losing route operational for 6 years only because you "loved that route"?  The Board of Directors and stockholders need to fire your a** yesterday for financial impropriety and mismanagement if this is indeed the truth.  Or, just come clean and tell everybody the real reason for dropping the service.

"Loved that route" indeed.
not exactly sure thats what I take away from it, but I hope you know very few international routes start out in the black. Most of the time it takes a while to build the route up. 10x if it is a new city to the network. 

Also, Us didn't have any JV partners, with BA now a JV partner the airline is completely different 

wings396 said:
In my entire career, I've never know of any route that has been operated for this long if it was a loser. I've seen many come and go over the years, both domestic and international. Several markets and stations went away in short time if they weren't profitable, and this was long before Parker came along. I think that most of us know that he was quicker than anyone else to pull the plug on anything that lost money.
Didn't AA operate ORD-DEL for 4-5 years without making money? 

topDawg said:
not exactly sure thats what I take away from it, but I hope you know very few international routes start out in the black. Most of the time it takes a while to build the route up. 10x if it is a new city to the network. 

Also, Us didn't have any JV partners, with BA now a JV partner the airline is completely different 

Didn't AA operate ORD-DEL for 4-5 years without making money? 

Philly-Edinburgh: One summer season then dropped
Philly-Birmingham:  One summer season then dropped
Philly-Oslo: Two summers then dropped
Philly-Stockholm:  Three summers then dropped

What exactly do you take away from that in light of your comment about having to give new routes a chance?

Do you actually think losing money for 6 years on year-round service on a route that requires the two of the most costly assets (A330-200s) is about the right amount of time?

zethya said:
 If PHL - TLV was unprofitable, why wasn't the route moved to JFK?
JFK Slots?
(or lack there-of)

nycbusdriver said:

What exactly do you take away from that in light of your comment about having to give new routes a chance?

Do you actually think losing money for 6 years on year-round service on a route that requires the two of the most costly assets (A330-200s) is about the right amount of time?

The above just shows there has got to be more to the story.
IMHO, the decision as to where to re-deploy the 2  A330's used previously for PHL-TLV might shed some light on the truth.

Parker said that our Arab "One World Alliance" partners requested we stop service to TLV.
Not sure what AAL got out of the deal. Israel has no friends in the Middleeast.

CaptainBigWood said:
Parker said that our Arab "One World Alliance" partners requested we stop service to TLV.

Parker said the opposite.  You're a liar.

We have two One World partners in the "Middleeast."  One of them is Royal Jordanian, which flies to ..... Tel Aviv.  The second, Qatar Airways, owns a stake in IAG partners.  IAG is the parent company of three of our four European One World partners.  They all fly to Tel Aviv.  The fourth One World European partner is Finnair, which also flies there.

Middle East is two words, genius.

CaptainBigWood said:

I don't believe for a second that Parker made such a statement.  THAT would have been front-page of the WSJ if it was true.

If the Arab objection is indeed true, has British Airways announced their ending service to Tel Aviv yet?

nycbusdriver said:

If PHL-TLV was showing signs of improving and the routes you listed weren't then you aren't comparing apples to apples. better question, do you have anything at all that says they are lying other than they kept the route going for 6 years? 

• Banned
I'm not sure what anyone is going to gain by trying to find a reason which has not and won't be stated. Does it hurt to alot of people who saw PHL-TLV as one of US' key routes? absolutely and it should sting.

Don't rule out that AA had to make a decision to cut TLV not because TLV was much worse than other routes but because it simply wasn't core to new AA's network. Preserving their position in Latin America and DFW will be very important over the next few years and fares in those areas are likely to continue to fall. AA can only fight so many battles at a time.

The decision has been made and likely won't be reversed. There is more US carrier capacity being added in NYC to TLV and TLV is just one of many international markets; not all 3 US carriers are going to serve every market.

dariencc said:
Parker said the opposite.  You're a liar.

We have two One World partners in the "Middleeast."  One of them is Royal Jordanian, which flies to ..... Tel Aviv.  The second, Qatar Airways, owns a stake in IAG partners.  IAG is the parent company of three of our four European One World partners.  They all fly to Tel Aviv.  The fourth One World European partner is Finnair, which also flies there.

Middle East is two words, genius.
Read it on the the Jerusalem Post "Gopher"

http://m.jpost.com/Business-and-Innovation/Whats-really-behind-American-Airlines-cancellation-of-the-Tel-Aviv-Philadelphia-route-413320#article=10389RUYwNjI0NzJCQjkyOUNEQjkxNkU3NTE3N0NDQUQ2NDQ=

You're still a liar even with a quoted source.  "...but an article in The Marker citing unnamed “sources in the aviation industry” claimed the decision was political.: An "unnamed source" is not Parker.  An "unnamed source" is usually a source of gossip, not fact, which is saying what the reporter wants to say, but can't because it's not founded in fact--an annoying little stipulation of the news reporting business.  You have to do better than unnamed source if you want to prove anything.

For that matter what is "The Marker?"  Looks like the Jerusalem Post is quoting another gossip column.  That is not reporting.  That is simply repeating.

CaptainBigWood said:
Liar, liar, plants for hire.

Got any other fiction to peddle as fact?

If the Arab airlines truly asked AA to discontinue TLV then why didn't they ask the other Western airlines the same thing

Back