UAL & CAL possibly merging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stupid possibility... UAL would cripple Continental.

Stupid possibility... UAL would cripple Continental.

LOL, not from what your new CEO says. You cant stand alone in this environment. UALs financials were just as good if not better than yours the last quarter and if CAL doenst merge with UAL, US will and CAL will be left in the cold, and cannot survive like that. Get over yourself.

Nothing like reading what you want to happen into what was actually said. There was nothing in the article that said they were possibly merging. Go back and re-read the very first sentence of the article. I'll make it easy for you. Here it is.

"Continental Airlines President Jeff Smisek says the carrier will consider merging with United Airlines if the new combination of Delta Air Lines and Northwest Airlines becomes a profitable hookup."

Note the words, consider and if. You might consider jumping off a high bridge. Doesn't mean that you are going to do it. Also, that if is a huge IF. The profitability of the DL-NW combination is not yet proved.

How can you possibly say that UAL's financials are as good or better than CO's? Based on one quarter? What about the fact that even the toilet paper at UAL has been hocked for cash? UAL has almost no asset left that isn't debt encumbered. And, CO does not have to pay 17% interest when they borrow money like UAL had to do within the past year.

Nothing like reading what you want to happen into what was actually said. There was nothing in the article that said they were possibly merging. Go back and re-read the very first sentence of the article. I'll make it easy for you. Here it is.

"Continental Airlines President Jeff Smisek says the carrier will consider merging with United Airlines if the new combination of Delta Air Lines and Northwest Airlines becomes a profitable hookup."

Note the words, consider and if. You might consider jumping off a high bridge. Doesn't mean that you are going to do it. Also, that if is a huge IF. The profitability of the DL-NW combination is not yet proved.

How can you possibly say that UAL's financials are as good or better than CO's? Based on one quarter? What about the fact that even the toilet paper at UAL has been hocked for cash? UAL has almost no asset left that isn't debt encumbered. And, CO does not have to pay 17% interest when they borrow money like UAL had to do within the past year.

Jealous eh Jim?

Not in the least. I can't think of any airline I would rather NOT work for or with than United. I experienced your "product" more than once in my oil business days. That was quite enough for one lifetime.

You go right ahead with your little daydream that someone is going to rescue UAL from itself and Glenn Tilton who I know of from my Texaco days. However, Continental did not become the most admired major airline in the U.S. by being crazy or stupid, and it would require both conditions to merge with UAL at this time.

And, it seems to be typical of your posts that you get personal when people start applying facts or logic to the situation, or dare to disagree with you. "Jealous, Jim?" I haven't heard that since high school.

Not in the least. I can't think of any airline I would rather NOT work for or with than United. I experienced your "product" more than once in my oil business days. That was quite enough for one lifetime.

You go right ahead with your little daydream that someone is going to rescue UAL from itself and Glenn Tilton who I know of from my Texaco days. However, Continental did not become the most admired major airline in the U.S. by being crazy or stupid, and it would require both conditions to merge with UAL at this time.

And, it seems to be typical of your posts that you get personal when people start applying facts or logic to the situation, or dare to disagree with you. "Jealous, Jim?" I haven't heard that since high school.

Well, I am not going to have a hissy match about whos airline is better, but you cant honestly say that AAs international product or CALs for that matter is better, UALs is better hands down, and i have expoerienced both recently.. Domestically, UAL is not the best by far, Virgin is and then JBLU (in my opinion)... CAL is a 2 hub airline which is way easier to run and focus on the customer than DL AA or UAL, no way around it, they focus on EWR and IAH and (cleveland to an extent)... Jim, I dont give 2 rats if UAL merges or not, and if we did, I would rather it be with USAir. You dont hear any CEO come out and say the things Smisek said the other day in reference to merging. UAL is doing better than AMR Jim, your loss was by far much larger than anyones last quarter, and who needs the rescuing?? Well, to be quite honest we all do, b/c we are all in deep more than either of you would like to admit.

Contract negotation time = merger talk time.

Here it is again folks. Until the fat lady sings I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. None of the carriers have enough capital to pull of a merger of any sort at this point.

It may have worked for USAir and America West, but how many years later and they are still on seperate contracts? Delta and Northwest? They are years from seeing the outcome. American and TWA, well, the next time you check in with AA, ask for a TWA rep. See how many there are.

JMO, it would be much better for UAL and Jet Blue to hook up. LH could bankroll it and really come out the winner of the entire merger.

I like you Jim, smart guy and you know how to apply logic to thought and how to put your emotions a side and look at what you really have in front of you and make a sound decision.

CAL will not fail on it's own and if it was going to it would have long ago. It is the largest airline in NYC and in Houston and the airline serves more cities in the Pacific then UAL and NWA/DL. So before you go wishing you can slip yourself into my old blue and gold uniform and work for CAL. I suggest you quit UAL and apply when we hire. That is your BEST shot.

There is not a single person at Continental that would want a "merger" and I use that loosely considering UAL is worth more dead then alive. It's only UAL people I hear walking around with bells on.

I would rather Continental close up shop,die,disappear, or to have never even have existed then to merge with United. United, it's management, and employees did that to themselves when they thought it would be smart to try and put us out of business in our time of need. It might of happened 20 years ago BUT.....

It always comes back to bite ya! :up:

I like you Jim, smart guy and you know how to apply logic to thought and how to put your emotions a side and look at what you really have in front of you and make a sound decision.

CAL will not fail on it's own and if it was going to it would have long ago. It is the largest airline in NYC and in Houston and the airline serves more cities in the Pacific then UAL and NWA/DL. So before you go wishing you can slip yourself into my old blue and gold uniform and work for CAL. I suggest you quit UAL and apply when we hire. That is your BEST shot.

There is not a single person at Continental that would want a "merger" and I use that loosely considering UAL is worth more dead then alive. It's only UAL people I hear walking around with bells on.

I would rather Continental close up shop,die,disappear, or to have never even have existed then to merge with United. United, it's management, and employees did that to themselves when they thought it would be smart to try and put us out of business in our time of need. It might of happened 20 years ago BUT.....

I agree..
I think UAL might be "dead man walking"

Bitter eh? Actually I just had a 25 year CAL f/a call me the other day, and say "when are we merging" ?? I think she wants to move to the west coast. Besides all that, I hate to spill it to you "HOT" but it is money that dictates, not employees or pride, and UAL has everything that CAL does not (everything outside and west of the NY "area" ) ... If you were CEO maybe things would be different, but your new CEO says things quite differently, and if there is incentive (think $$$$) not even the CEO can stop it (think board members, investors, etc.. ) .... I would suggest you purchase a leather strap, b/c you just may need it.

Bitter eh? Actually I just had a 25 year CAL f/a call me the other day, and say "when are we merging" ?? I think she wants to move to the west coast. Besides all that, I hate to spill it to you "HOT" but it is money that dictates, not employees or pride, and UAL has everything that CAL does not (everything outside and west of the NY "area" ) ... If you were CEO maybe things would be different, but your new CEO says things quite differently, and if there is incentive (think $$$$) not even the CEO can stop it (think board members, investors, etc.. ) .... I would suggest you purchase a leather strap, b/c you just may need it.

Let me guess, she was using our new J/S agreement and thought it would be funny to make a little joke. Little did she know she would vomit slightly in her mouth. If a merger was going to happen it would of happened when they were openly seeking it in 2008. They saw what UAL's books looked like, told Tilton there was 3 million laying on the floor in the other room, he booked and so did the management team of Continental.

I would never wish anyone out of work but it's painfully obvious one more needs to go. I don't like UAL and just an FYI, there are 3 open contracts at Continental. This talk is more like a threat, pension obligations for UAL's pension less alone would cripple Continental alone.

The only company Continental is interested in merging with is Alaska, THEY not UAL have exactly what we need. They just are not interested in merging with anyone, sadly.

As for leather strap, GOT IT! Along with a sling! Wanna come drill me? :wub:

Let me guess, she was using our new J/S agreement and thought it would be funny to make a little joke. Little did she know she would vomit slightly in her mouth. If a merger was going to happen it would of happened when they were openly seeking it in 2008. They saw what UAL's books looked like, told Tilton there was 3 million laying on the floor in the other room, he booked and so did the management team of Continental.

I would never wish anyone out of work but it's painfully obvious one more needs to go. I don't like UAL and just an FYI, there are 3 open contracts at Continental. This talk is more like a threat, pension obligations for UAL's pension less alone would cripple Continental alone.

The only company Continental is interested in merging with is Alaska, THEY not UAL have exactly what we need. They just are not interested in merging with anyone, sadly.

As for leather strap, GOT IT! Along with a sling! Wanna come drill me? :wub:

Well, the "cabin seat agreement" is pretty old standard in the industry, except for CAL. Yeah Alaska would be a great match for you guys, I'm sure all their premium international customers will make a wonderful addition. Alaska will be in trouble soon with VA penetrating its routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back