Who wants a merger with AA?

Do US employees want to merge with American Airlines?

• Yes

Votes: 82 66.1%
  • No

Votes: 40 32.3%
  • I'd consider a merger if it did not involve American Airlines.

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
First!
I believe APA offers a significant improvement in union leadership and integrity over what we have now. :)
Putting the east/west union infighting aside at this point I don't think there is enough info to make that a decision as to whether or not this is a good thing for east or west employees. Having said that the opinions of the east/west employees might not count at all.

Reactions: 1 person
Putting the east/west union infighting aside at this point I don't think there is enough info to make that a decision as to whether or not this is a good thing for east or west employees. Having said that the opinions of the east/west employees might not count at all.

East/ west employees don't matter- you should know by now how Dug operates... it's all about the numbers.
Given the above, the west is far better off with the APA than USAPA. Just about every single one of us out west think so for many reasons. The "tyranny of the majority" mantra is dying as well as DOH. Thank God we can all move on now. Give that horse some H2O!

Reactions: 2 people
I'm against it for the reasons I just posted on the other poll:

A few thoughts since I started this poll on April 8th. There was a clear majority of AA folks, I think upwards of 75% did not want a merger with US or would prefer to merge with another carrier. Now a sllim majority would like a majority would like a US/AA hookup.

It is of no surprise after Parker's meetings with the AA unions, that he has come in to save the day. I find myself more in agreement with those I go to battle with on the East who share the same skepticism of Parker. Hours after secretly meeting with potential employees of a merger, he is evasive to the actual employees of his un-merged US Airways. It goes well beyond the premise that he could not tell us anything at the Phoenix town hall because of the pending merger announcement. It is more like the same pattern we have all seen before. It's Doug Parker a disarming and likeable person in public but no different than a Horton or Crandall.

A merger is going to result in a reduction in capacity. It's a fact. People in Pittsburgh, Las Vegas and Boston know this all too well. How can he promise job security to one group of employees without compromising the job security of another? He can't. He preached US Airways was fine as a stand-alone while going to the bar to pick up another airline. He may look attractive at the bar but you may wake up the next morning to a nightmare we have lived since 2005.

We are still an unmerged airline with our own problems. I'd rather be represented by APA than USAPA. For that reason, I would be for the merger. On the other hand, I would like to see the courts resolve our seniority dispute. Either way, there will be problems and disputes that arise. The question is, is it a two way or a three way?

Finally, I think airline forums should have an AA/US Airways discussion area. SW/Airtran has a forum. Now that a potential merger is in the works, I think it would be a good idea for those who want to participate outside the AA or US forums.

If you survive the initial integration you we will be better off both in terms of pay and security. For me in PHX that very well might not be the case, so then I will retire and move on but at least my flight benefits will be with a large world airline that is almost surely to survive.

You are right, there should be a combined thread to discuss AA/US jointly. The flight attendants have started a discussion group on FB yesterday called AA/USAir and the membership has reached almost 9000 within 24 hours! Lots to to about.

https://www.facebook.com/messages/1294476158#!/groups/323721051027355/324598637606263/?notif_t=group_activity

Hours after secretly meeting with potential employees of a merger, he is evasive to the actual employees of his un-merged US Airways. It goes well beyond the premise that he could not tell us anything at the Phoenix town hall because of the pending merger announcement. It is more like the same pattern we have all seen before. It's Doug Parker a disarming and likeable person in public but no different than a Horton or Crandall.

A merger is going to result in a reduction in capacity. It's a fact. People in Pittsburgh, Las Vegas and Boston know this all too well. How can he promise job security to one group of employees without compromising the job security of another? He can't. He preached US Airways was fine as a stand-alone while going to the bar to pick up another airline. He may look attractive at the bar but you may wake up the next morning to a nightmare we have lived since 2005.

That's very well said sir. Despite all the east-west/west-east internecine insanity; I fully share your very reasonable concerns, with this being perhaps the most damning element: "How can he promise job security to one group of employees without compromising the job security of another? He can't." Being one who, in Parker's case, finds appropriate the old cliche of "How can you tell if he's lying? = His lips are moving", well...the very first thought I had on seeing the no furlough promise to American's tribe was that the US side might well be used for any "furlough fodder".

If you survive the initial integration you we will be better off both in terms of pay and security. For me in PHX that very well might not be the case, so then I will retire and move on but at least my flight benefits will be with a large world airline that is almost surely to survive.

If you retire from US due to reduction in force before merger, are you assured of pass privileges with AA if the airlines combine? Would current US retirees have pass travel on the new combined AA? I've often wondered about these scenarios. After all, retirees are the easiest group for the company to screw over.

I hope you would have this benefit but wouldn't bet the bank.

Reactions: 1 person
If you retire from US due to reduction in force before merger, are you assured of pass privileges with AA if the airlines combine? Would current US retirees have pass travel on the new combined AA? I've often wondered about these scenarios. After all, retirees are the easiest group for the company to screw over.

I hope you would have this benefit but wouldn't bet the bank.
Are you an employee with either airline?

Are you an active duty line pilot?

Read the times and numbers of her posts. There is absolutely no way anyone could possibly fly and post this much. Probably an intern hired by Gerry Glass to foment trouble, or a furloughed employee. Do the math. Look at her profile and figure it out yourself.

Reactions: 5 people
If you survive the initial integration you we will be better off both in terms of pay and security.

"and security"? That's light years past just a bit naive, to say the very least. You necessarily assume that not so much as even a thought "might" be in management's little mind towards just doing/promising ANYTHING needed to get their little grubby hands on American...with the clear understanding that, within a fairly short period of time, they can then always haul any train wreck they've initially produced right back into bankruptcy court, and obliterate any/all contracts/"promises"/etc at that time. That "movie" has been seen before.

"If you survive the initial integration" Uh Huh...as if that's a "small" concern for many. With first-name-basis-"buddy"-Doug's promise to the American side of no furloughs...either there will magically BE no furloughs ( a laughable notion at best) or, well...where will they come from then?