WN Mechanics seek mediation

BTW driver, because you asked a while back. I have been told that the company will send out the Bonus amounts to us by email after they get the details back from the union. The time frame we are hearing is around the end of April. Well in advance of the closing of voting by 5-21.

BTW driver, because you asked a while back. I have been told that the company will send out the Bonus amounts to us by email after they get the details back from the union. The time frame we are hearing is around the end of April. Well in advance of the closing of voting by 5-21.
Thanks have a great weekend.!

As we wait for our ballots in the mail to vote for or against the current T/A here's an interesting time frame of the events over the past 6 1/2 years of waiting for our agreement. Time to take a look at the RLA and some changes are needed as time has moved from way back when it was produced.

What Led Us To A Deal With Southwest Airlines, Nearly 7 Years Later
A brief history of transportation labor relations, and how it relates to our deal

AMFA National
Apr 11

1*lTlJtRR63nvVMG0C-eLCUg.png

On Saturday March 16, AMFA (Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association) and Southwest Airlines "); background-size: 1px 1px; background-position: 0px calc(1em + 1px);">came to an Agreement in Principle on a new contract. We"); background-size: 1px 1px; background-position: 0px calc(1em + 1px);"> now have that Tentative Agreement out for our members to vote on.

So how did we reach this point? Here is some background on the process in general, and our process in particular:

• It has been nearly 7 years of negotiations to get to this deal. The amendable date of our prior contract was August 16, 2012. AMFA members have been without a raise for 2,400+ days…and counting.
  • During this time, we have negotiated nearly every month. We have had 74 prior negotiation updates since we began this round of negotiations.
  • If this deal is approved, it will extend into 2024.
To understand the labor negotiations process, it’s best to go back to the introduction of the Railway Labor Act.

• By the 1920s, the railroad industry controlled nearly all interstate traffic in the United States, both freight and passenger, and employed more than 2 million workers. Decades of labor unrest, widespread and sometimes violent work stoppages led the federal government to work with industry and union leaders to create a new way of resolving labor disputes. Railroad management and unions prepared the Railway Labor Act (RLA), which was passed by Congress in 1926. The RLA guaranteed the right to join a union of their choice and to engage in collective bargaining. It also established procedures for the orderly resolution of labor disputes.
  • In 1934, Congress created the National Mediation Board to administer the RLA.
  • In 1936, the RLA was extended to cover interstate air carriers.
  • In 1951, the RLA was amended to permit union shops and dues check-off agreements.
The RLA has three primary purposes

• To avoid interruption of interstate commerce
  • To provide employees the freedom to join a labor union
  • To provide for prompt and orderly settlement of collective bargaining disputes and disputes concerning interpretation of existing collective bargaining agreements
Our negotiation process with Southwest Airlines, which took more than 6 years, is a product of the 83-year-old relic called the Railway Labor Act (RLA).

Under the RLA, a collective bargaining agreement does not expire — it becomes amendable and remains in force until modified by management pursuant to contractual authority, by agreement of the parties, or by unilateral implementation during a period of lawful self-help.

The collective bargaining process begins when parties exchange notices indicating a desire to change wages, hours and working conditions. Thereafter, the RLA imposes on the parties the duty to exert every reasonable effort to reach agreement.

This also serves to ultimately eliminate the threat of a strike by workers.

Here’s the bottom line — the collective bargaining process has not changed in more than 80 years. The recent situation with AMFA and Southwest Airlines shows the RLA gives airlines an incentive and means to extend negotiations with no recourse, no accountability and no negative consequences for deliberately dragging out or delaying collective bargaining. This tactic means management feels no urgency to come to a new agreement.

The RLA allows a company to show they are doing enough to “exert every reasonable effort to reach an agreement” in the collective bargaining process. And here we are, 6 1/2 years later.

By using the RLA as a means to delay, Southwest bought time to allow its competitors in the industry to catch up in wages and benefits, to implement an industry-competitive wage.

We are glad to be nearing the end of this long negotiation process. Until the process is changed, labor in the airline industry remains in a disadvantaged position versus management.

But our patience and determination was crucial to earning the proper deal our members deserve, and we believe we are nearing that as we move toward a vote on the Tentative Agreement.

Just voted YES on the best contract I've ever seen in my 29 years as a aviation technician. It far surpasses the 2001 gain at AA no only in economics but every other category. Thanks to everyone for sticking with the process.

Glad to see you guys all stuck together it seems even though the company took full advantage of the RLA to drag it out it's shows sometimes you have to dig your heels in and hold on. Hopefully you guys get your MAX back in the air soon..

Just voted YES on the best contract I've ever seen in my 29 years as a aviation technician. It far surpasses the 2001 gain at AA no only in economics but every other category. Thanks to everyone for sticking with the process.
I also received my ballot. Not voting until I receive the amount of my retro, back pay, and bonuses. We already know the other numbers from snap up to the final year of contract. I will say as long as their numbers and my number align accordingly I will pass along my YES as well. I have read the new contract from front to back in it's entirely and that took about 4 hours with debates included. And your right, it does surpass even the 2001 contract by far.
I too would like to thank everyone for staying united and strong for these almost 7 years of game playing by our co. When we are properly informed and well informed it's a lot easier to be united.
Hopefully we will get our retro numbers within the next week or so.

Lineguy, thanks for the kind words. Can't wait to sign off on this and move forward. Drama for the last 7 years is just ridiculous...

Birdman just voted yes, on what I can say is the best contract we have had at SWA in my 25 years-here. I voted yes on the first offer, because we didn't lose scope, just like we didn't in this offer. I am glad AMFA proved me wrong.

Birdman just voted yes, on what I can say is the best contract we have had at SWA in my 25 years-here. I voted yes on the first offer, because we didn't lose scope, just like we didn't in this offer. I am glad AMFA proved me wrong.
driver, you hearing anything at your location on when we might get the emails? I would think we would have had them by now. What was it April 5th was the closing day with payroll for March? Hoping to see it by the end of this month. Maybe tomorrow, or is that too much to ask for???

driver, you hearing anything at your location on when we might get the emails? I would think we would have had them by now. What was it April 5th was the closing day with payroll for March? Hoping to see it by the end of this month. Maybe tomorrow, or is that too much to ask for???
Swampy I talked to Dan Burgess Saturday, he said the union was compiling the numbers it should be out next week , or by May 5th.

Will Abbott has said that there were finishing the last few things and should be within the ‘next few days’. I’m guessing sometime this week.

Wel, well, well. Finally Southwest.
It appears that SWA is done with pushing the idea that the mechanics pulled a job action in the media. Although I have read more than one article this morning and they all seem to be finally reporting the flight cancellations in the 1st Q as just that, flight cancellations. Up until today, the co. has always reported to the media that the "labor disruption caused by the mechanics", or "labor dispute", or "mechanics job action". Well now they are finally calling them just flight cancellations. No finger pointing or blaming. So rather the flight cancellations were due to Max groundings, weather related, or "legit" maint. write-ups, forward to the MC that made the final decisions to keep them on the ground, they have finally come to their senses and called them for what they are, "flight cancellations", period...

Airline Stock Roundup: Q1 Earnings Beat at AAL, LUV, ALK & SKYW

Wel, well, well. Finally Southwest.
It appears that SWA is done with pushing the idea that the mechanics pulled a job action in the media. Although I have read more than one article this morning and they all seem to be finally reporting the flight cancellations in the 1st Q as just that, flight cancellations. Up until today, the co. has always reported to the media that the "labor disruption caused by the mechanics", or "labor dispute", or "mechanics job action". Well now they are finally calling them just flight cancellations. No finger pointing or blaming. So rather the flight cancellations were due to Max groundings, weather related, or "legit" maint. write-ups, forward to the MC that made the final decisions to keep them on the ground, they have finally come to their senses and called them for what they are, "flight cancellations", period...

Airline Stock Roundup: Q1 Earnings Beat at AAL, LUV, ALK & SKYW
Sounds like L.N. may be on his way out.

Latest posts

Back