1,700 layoffs announced

Our management team is taking the APPORIATE steps in this shitty economy with oil at 140 a barrel … do you think I LIKE the idea of a fee for a first checked bag or a return to BK contracts? I do not .. but their going to do what they NEED to do to keep us going … yeah going back to your BK contracts is going to suck , but not having a job sucks MORE …also flipping burgers sucks WAY more than working for the airlines so you had best give yourself a reality check sister … get your head in the game .

Doug has essentially given every type of customer, from the most frequent to the once-every-ten-years flyer an open invitation to fly the competition for probably the same price. They just won't be hosed with nickel and diming, and elites won't lose perks, ala US Airways, at those other carriers.

If you were buying a ticket with your own hard earned cash who would you choose? The airline charging the same fare that charges for everything (US Airways) or the competition that does not? I know my answer, and I am sure the traveling public knows theirs, too.

Doug always wanted reduction in capacity in this industry. Well, he is going to get his wish with this stupid, STUPID plan. Plan on US Airways days being numbered and start updating your resume'. This airline is not long for this world.

I wouldn't be too concerned whether or not furloughs will reach you, the ones who get out early will have a better shot at other jobs. The ones who stay here will eventually lose their jobs anyway when this airline shuts down for lack of passengers.

Now there's a REALITY CHECK for you!

just for the airline to break even they need to charge 600 to 700 per passenger round trip. i found it on www.examiner.com/topic-Airlines.html and I believe justplanenews.com also had it.

600 in las.. Man, Southwest is probably laughing their butts off right now!

I'm sorry that anyone laid off is to pay for the gas bill. Shoot... 200 more airport employees, I might be done for!

As of now, not a word from our illustrious Unions (or at least FAs) .... What; can't they type fast enough to produce a letter to abate any concerns of their "fellowship" or are they too busy reading this board to glean ideas of what to say or do:shock:

So glad to see where my $40 goes!

Sidebar ... I'd also like to know who's getting the profit of $140/barrel ..... Has our demand gone up that much?

It wouldn't surprise me that the company will get enough voluntary leaves from the f/a's to prevent furloughs.

What I'd like to know is, how do they go about this with separate operations?

I am so glad I have left the company. This is the first time I have no concerns over furloughs. I do feel bad for my friends who might get furloughed, but there are quite a few people like me who are ready to go and just need the push to get out the door. The grass is greener on the other side. Not driving to the airport in the middle of the night or so early in the morning is a wonderful feeling. So I am now labeled as a former flight attendant. It feels great. For anyone who does get furloughed, do like me and use it as an excuse to leave the airline industry. I'm glad I did!

Hate to say it, but I can see doubling buddy passes, but raising fares for parents, now I cannot accept that, half this reason I work here is so my parents can fly to where they want to. I feel so bad for my folks. I feel so bad for everyone in vegas right now, this is a load of horseshit. Which hub is next to go? This is just the first round. Everyone who works for opec should be hung. Greedy sob's. This is no 9/11, there will be no recovery. All these fees, even if we somehow turn this industry around, will be irreversable. I'm suprised they aren't charging the employee to fly. That's next. Call me negative, yes, but when you take hit after hit after hit, you see that it just doesn't end. Time to polish up my resume.

Well, our new "inflight beverage purchase plan" has hit the national news and the media is hating on US already.

Bloody Hell.

What did you expect? The media should also announce that US Airways has just handed over their entire customer base to the competition on a silver platter. Lap it up! :rant:

What did you expect? The media should also announce that US Airways has just handed over their entire customer base to the competition on a silver platter. Lap it up! :rant:
Yawn. Its 2 dollars for a soda. Big whoop. Europeans have been subjected to this for years. Is it really that big of a deal? Freebies are gone, people. Aint no big deal....

If you continue watching Fox News, you get what you deserve. I think we have more pressing issues in this country than USAir chargin me for my Sprite. But, I could be wrong..... :rolleyes:

I'm suprised they aren't charging the employee to fly. That's next.

Me too. And when they do that there will be a huge revolt. People won't be able to come to work since they won't be able to afford the commute with our 1988 wages so that means more flights cancelled, more lost bags, fewer gate agents, rampers, mechanics, more delays, etc. This whole operation would shut down in no time. I used to commute and if they had charged $15 per commute I would have been out $150 and I would not have been able to pay that on my reserve wages. So many people commute, not just f/as and pilots. It would be terrible but in a way I would be laughing as the operation would come to a screeching halt which is sad.

I can understand increasing the price of alcohol on the a/c but not charging for soda. Hell, we, as f/a's, don't have the time to handle soda sales. We're hard pressed now as it is to hand out sodas on certain flights and equipment.

Maybe the company will get so much hate mail over this, they'll rescind the soda charge.

Why all the hand ringing? We cut far less A/C and employees then the others and the sky is falling?

Also for over a year we keep reading post about how every decision is driving away customers but I have yet seen any evidence that it is true!
Why not actually wait and see the results because so far the loud whiners proclamations have not proven true.!

Folks..SAS has been charging for Everything on there intra scandanavin flights..They have a placard in the seat back pocket and if you want to buy something you can..Even water is not free unless you drink it out of the sink! I'm sure it's going to be VERY diffacult for the f/a's that just LOVE to give a Whole can on a 30 min flight!! <_<