2020 Pilot Thread

SWAMT, you know you work for a very smart company. One that values cold hard cash and abhors debt. You will definitely fare better than the “ New American.”
It’s the same as the old one. Bloated and run by morons. Doug Parker squandered billions of cash on stock. It’s just a matter of time until the furniture at HQ starts disappearing along with the artwork. Then, the building will be unloaded at rock bottom and leased back. That is if it isn’t sold and vacated for some new dump. It’s that dire.
The lingering Coronavirus in the US is going to tank any international flying. Nobody in Europe is interested in a flock of infected tourists anymore.

SWAMT, you know you work for a very smart company. One that values cold hard cash and abhors debt. You will definitely fare better than the “ New American.”
It’s the same as the old one. Bloated and run by morons. Doug Parker squandered billions of cash on stock. It’s just a matter of time until the furniture at HQ starts disappearing along with the artwork. Then, the building will be unloaded at rock bottom and leased back. That is if it isn’t sold and vacated for some new dump. It’s that dire.
The lingering Coronavirus in the US is going to tank any international flying. Nobody in Europe is interested in a flock of infected tourists anymore.
Cant argue with common sense

I agree. So why is Parker still at the helm? I thought for sure the BOD would have voted him out by now. But they are still allowing him to stay. They had their chance back when he was arrested for his 2nd or 3rd DWI while at AA. I was a bit shocked the BOD didn't move on it then. But, I do believe at that time, there were no "replacements" right off the top of their heads to put in his place. I could be wrong here, but all a guess to why they kept him.
I agree with the idea that the AA pilots are asking for reimbursement from gov on empty middle seats, however, where will that stop if enacted upon? Food service co's getting reimbursed for limiting the amount of customers aloud into establishments? Reimbursing stores that keep out the overflow when too many customers show up and lose the few that do not want to wait? Just not real sure if it's doable.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-pilots-union-asks-government-145646593.html

Reactions: Claxon
I agree. So why is Parker still at the helm? I thought for sure the BOD would have voted him out by now. But they are still allowing him to stay. They had their chance back when he was arrested for his 2nd or 3rd DWI while at AA. I was a bit shocked the BOD didn't move on it then. But, I do believe at that time, there were no "replacements" right off the top of their heads to put in his place. I could be wrong here, but all a guess to why they kept him.
I agree with the idea that the AA pilots are asking for reimbursement from gov on empty middle seats, however, where will that stop if enacted upon? Food service co's getting reimbursed for limiting the amount of customers aloud into establishments? Reimbursing stores that keep out the overflow when too many customers show up and lose the few that do not want to wait? Just not real sure if it's doable.

AA/AmericaWest chased away all the talent so now what we have is about as good as it gets. DP is here to stay until someone better is available.

Reactions: Claxon
AA/AmericaWest chased away all the talent so now what we have is about as good as it gets. DP is here to stay until someone better is available.
Agree. But still a bit surprised no moves sooner. Ya think the BOD's are kicking themselves by now? I hope we all get out of this soon. The questions now are, just how big will each airline be on the rebound?

Don't forget, DP is paid in stock. He does not have a salary. Particularly at today's stock prices, (closed at $12.38/shr) that makes for an inexpensive CEO with an incentive to do better.

The same BOD that gave Parker two country club memberships.
How can he belong to the Dallas Country Club and green light Elise Eberweins constant Unconcious Bias content to all employees? Does that place even allow a black person or even any person of color ?
I guarantee Elise and hubby Russ Webber have been guests of Parker. The only minority that they interacted at DCC with served them dinner or caddied for them.

Last edited:
Been in this industry 30 years through thick and then and the one constant is pilots are the least informed/in the know/understand the business as any group out there. I can only assume the cockpit is a literal bubble. I have a ton of respect for what pilots do and their proficiency at their craft I also have almost zero respect for the average pilots understanding of the airline business. Its a strange thing indeed.

And pilots are always astonished at how little understanding managers have of the business. Pilots get to see the entire operation, not just the same myopic view of one station. Which city station gets the operation nailed in great performance. Which ones make jets wait for up to 20 minutes with engines running while no ground crew shows. Which station let’s the apu run forever because nobody supervised the station to immediately plug in. Which one gives electric, but fails to provide air, so the apu runs. Which station gets catering right every time, which doesn’t. Which station has a great management which takes time to actually watch, which doesn’t. Which station treats non revs nicely, which doesn’t- a great indicator of how passengers are treated.Who has wheelchairs ready, who busts connections for handicapped as they sit for long times. Pilots see young mothers with kids waiting no time for strollers. Others never show as they struggle with multiple children on jetways in exasperation. Pilots immediately see schedule changes that constantly frustrate business road warriors, and instantly see the competition as they roll in to AA cities. Poor flight timing is readily apparent when a flight used to leave at 7 am then moves to 9. A flight that had always been full then is empty. And instant feedback when the few still on it complain about how it’s too late to make a one day business trip work.
It’s true. Pilots have NO understanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: JREwing and 1AA
Been in this industry 30 years through thick and then and the one constant is pilots are the least informed/in the know/understand the business as any group out there. I can only assume the cockpit is a literal bubble. I have a ton of respect for what pilots do and their proficiency at their craft I also have almost zero respect for the average pilots understanding of the airline business. Its a strange thing indeed.
Here is some great understanding playing out now. Cancellation after cancellation. Who understands the business upanaway? Your America West management has spent billions on stock in the 45 range and destroyed the franchise.