24/7 Business with an 8-5 M-F Repair Tech

tadjr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
TPA
www.airlineforums.com
Our computer repair tech was telling us today that US has changed their contract with them. No more "call outs" to get equipment repaired. Only M-F 8-5 repairs. So, if something breaks on Fri afternoon at 430pm, dont expect to get it looked at until Mon am. Hope you dont need a part and pray that nothing else breaks over the weekend. Was curious if the other stations have discussed this with their repair techs (our equipment is fairly old and breaks down regularly so we have quite a dialogue with our tech guy). Are the hubs getting the same treatment or just the outstations? How can the company expect a 24/7 operation (for the most part) to deal with a M-F 8-5 repair program? I guess as long as its cheaper, the agents wont mind putting up with broken equipment all weekend right? Can we get a roll of MEL stickers and duct tape for the kiosks too? :lol:

One thing is for sure.....
I guess as long as its cheaper
There's little doubt that having repair techs available 24/7 costs more. As N965VJ said, however, will the long term costs outweigh the short term savings. You can insert PineyBob's favorite saying about cost vs value here.

Jim

One thing is for sure.....

There's little doubt that having repair techs available 24/7 costs more. As N965VJ said, however, will the long term costs outweigh the short term savings. You can insert PineyBob's favorite saying about cost vs value here.

Jim

Yeah, wait for a couple of planes carrying a couple of MEL's to break at an out station on a Friday night or Saturday to put a crimp in this really quickly. Cancelled flights, planes out of service, irregular ops. Yeah, that will be a good time for folks.

I think tadjr was talking about computer maint techs for the airport ops and not a/c maintenance. Hopefully that will still be "on call" at non-maint stations.

The big problem I can see is if something happens to the station computer network that causes all computers/kiosks to go down on a Friday at 5:30pm and repair techs aren't available till Monday morning. Talk about a nightmare.

Jim

Not A/C mainteance most stations are 24/7 that have mtc.

He was talking about the vendors who maintain the computers and associated hardware at the stations.

All non-mtc stations have vendors on call, even though the vendor might not be there 24/7 they call them in.

I only wish Aircraft maintenance activities were 8-5 M-F. This is getting really old. The only good thing is you don't have to deal with the crack smoking management types that are becoming prevalent these days.

Latest posts