600 F/a Recall For The Summer

okoge1027

Nov 6, 2004
I've heard that we'll recall 600 f/a's ONLY FOR SUMMER. Has anyone heard the same? I've sent a rumor control question to Leslie Mayo and she said that she would check into it.

The number sounds about right, but I can't see how it could be just for the summer. There are only 98 natives ahead of the TWA people at this point. They could be pressed into service with only a couple of days' refresher, but when they hit us it means three weeks of training. With the 21 day contractual notification time and training, recall letters would have to go out at least 60 days ahead of time; so if they wanted us for July 1 we'd have to hear by about May 1.

And attrition keeps pecking away at the numbers. By this fall another 500 will have dropped out, leaving the company short-handed for the holidays. I think it more likely that even another recall would occur for the holidays perhaps followed by more bid leaves offered for the Jan-Apr lean months.

MK

Yes, but remember - 1350 OVL's ended in July 2004 and they still had to recall 233, and then recalled 610 just before the holidays. Any way you look at it, on Thanksgiving day 2005 they'll have about 1000 fewer people than they had on Thanksgiving 2004. I just can't see them facing the holidays with numbers like that.

MK

kirkpatrick said:
Yes, but remember - 1350 OVL's ended in July 2004 and they still had to recall 233, and then recalled 610 just before the holidays. Any way you look at it, on Thanksgiving day 2005 they'll have about 1000 fewer people than they had on Thanksgiving 2004. I just can't see them facing the holidays with numbers like that.

MK
[post="263820"][/post]​
Agreed, we'll see what the months ahead bring.

okoge1027 said:
I've heard that we'll recall 600 f/a's ONLY FOR SUMMER. Has anyone heard the same? I've sent a rumor control question to Leslie Mayo and she said that she would check into it.
[post="263519"][/post]​

Is this a rumor?
how come it is not posted on APFA website?

I predict we will fly short-staffed this summer and have the crAAp reasigned out of us. That will take us through the slow Fall months. I don't believe it will be as bad as the summer of 2003...that's a different conspiracy theory all-together.

AA will have no choice but to recall for the hellidays due to attrition.

Many of the OVLs haven't worked in YEARS...they can now fly these trips? Many will be forced to s*** or get off the pot (and such a delicious pot it is...LOL!)

Come September, if I'm wrong, I will post my apology.

Coop

SLT

AirDude said:
Is this a rumor?
how come it is not posted on APFA website?
[post="264076"][/post]​

Coop,
I think you're right, I am not looking forward to this summer. I amon reserve in August. I hope they recall soon....

A friend who is based at LGA told me that her manager told her to expect a recall of about 1000 f/as before the end of the year. That would be the first 900 of the former TW flight attendants. Having met several of them while I was furloughed, I am looking forward to the opportunity to fly with them.

Yes, I know they will get seniority on me at SLT. So what? At my seniority and age, I won't live long enough for my seniority to do me any good. :lol:

"Many of the OVLs haven't worked in YEARS...they can now fly these trips? Many will be forced to s*** or get off the pot (and such a delicious pot it is...LOL!)
Come September, if I'm wrong, I will post my apology.

Coop

SLT"

Coop, I always enjoy your posts which are normally solid and informative. But, I have to disagree with this one. I want to remind everyone that no one is currently on an overage leave. There was a short 4 month leave of abscence that will be up the end of this month. The company literally got away with a fast one with this current PLOA. It should have been an OVLA, but AAL did not want to pay benefits, etc. Every F/A who has taken an OVLA or this PLOA has saved someone else from being furloughed. So, excuse me, but why the hostility? Why not hostility towards the company? If American had handled the OVLA in a responsible and labor friendly manner, there would have been NO NEED to furlough anyone. I spoke with management after 9-11 pleading with them. It infuriated me that a better plan was not developed in order to keep F/A's from being furloughed. The process that AAL used was hasty and poorly planned. If more slots were opened for smaller overage leaves, I believe a lot more people could/would have taken them and there would have been no furloughs. Rather than take an extra week after that tragedy to present a well thought out program, American puts out an overage plan that limits the number of flight attendants who will be able to take part. The bottom line is the THEY DON"T CARE. But, please don't fault those on the leaves. Someone has been able to keep their job because someone else took a leave. I am one of those F/A's who immediately took an OVLA. Two weeks after I started my leave, I had a serious medical condition happen. If I had been on the sick list, it would have cost the company a lot of money.

I guess what I am trying to say is that every person's situation is different. We don't know what has transpired. What we do know is that someone still kept their job, was able to make their house and car payments because someone else was able to take that leave.

Terry

Terry,

I think my post did not specifically identify the OVLs I was referring to. I did not understand the difference between OVL and PLOAs.

I'm talking about the "married wells". They do not need the paycheck or the insurance. They simply want the flight bennies (though what that is worth in this fare environment is beyond me).

I've flown with quite a few of these. The goal is to drop every trip and if they actually have to work once-a-month, it's an event comparable to a meteor hitting the Earth.

This doesn't go over well with my junior a** flying 95-100 hours a month to try to get ahead.

IMO, they are taking up valuable space on the seniority list.

There are furloughees who REALLY want to come back and their time is quickly running out.

From what I've seen on the various web boards, it seems that many of the PLOAs are concentrating on transitioning out of this industry. Many seem to be in the mid-seniority (11-18 year) range.

I'm glad that the current APFA administration is focused on retirement issues, I feel that it is important to us all.

However, the APFA has a reputation of selling out the junior for the senior...nothing wrong with that...Article 13 spells it out very clearly.

Let's be honest, the junior vs. senior issue permeates both AA and APFA. It ranges from "silver vs. gold wings", "B-scale vs A scale", recalls vs. always active, and the BEST of all, domestic vs. international.

If we don't view and own our in-house drama, we are sitting ducks.

Junior F/As do have issues but not much of a voice at the APFA. This is the perspective I speak from.

Coop

SLT

As a matter of interest, what % of recalls are expected to refuse? Would expect the number to be quite high these days, and attrition rising.