A matter of hours, anticipated announcement merger

Status
Not open for further replies.
AAmen :up:

Who is #2 in the southeast and #1 in the Northeast? US Airways.

AA has ~9+- Destinations in Europe?
US has 19?

Better check www.aa.com

†Barcelona (BCN)
Service begins April 24, 2008

≠Milan (MXP)
Service begins May 1, 2008

*Moscow (DME)
Service begins June 2, 2008
(subject to government approval)

MAKES 13 cities

"Although I think AA would keep the DTW" Why do people constantly think airlines sell hubs to other airlines. IT DOESN'T HAPPEN

I agree wholeheartedly. Which is why i'm disappointed the 2 pilot groups couldn't come to an agreement prior to the official merger announcment.

If nothing else, the US Airways/America West "merger" is a good template for other interested parties of how not to go about merging 2 airlines.
:lol: :lol: Come back in a year and we'll see how smooth things are going.. US/HP may not have been perfect but the combined carrier has one of the highest operating profit margins in the industry. Good luck and let the games begin!

Just as AA people wanted nothing to do with TWA, AA people want nothing to do with US. As far as "US F/As reinstating the TW F/As seniority"; the 20,000 nAAtive AA F/As will NEVER stand for that; they would put your hypothetical non-happening US/AA combo six feet under before that happened . They are extremely pi$$ed the way things are now.
<_< ----- Hello aa!!! ----- Where ever aa typed "they", or "we", he really means "I"!!!! So I wouldn't pay too much to what he says! As far as a AA/US merger! We'll just have to wait and see!

US/HP may not have been perfect but the combined carrier has one of the highest operating profit margins in the industry.
Perhaps I would agree with you were labor costs the same amongst all carriers, but, since US/HP are the bottom, I would expect, um, turbulence, shortly, if not sooner.

It is a known fact that you have always had you lips glued to the hind end of the TWAers. You are right about the the nAAtives being happy about the return of the TWA F/As because they come back UNDER them. The nAAtive F/As would not be happy if somehow the TWA F/As got their TWA seniority reinstated under a US/AA pairing; which is what was the poster stated-learn to read. Yes, all one has to do is read the AA board to see how nAAtives F/As (except for you) feel about the ex -TWA F/As having their TWA seniority at AA.
<_< ------ Hey jim! Sounds like aa is scared sh%tless that there may be another merger or buyout at AA!!! Maybe next time he won't be so lucky! I think there's a better than 50/50 chance he's right. That's if this NWA/DELTA thing go's through! And yes, US could be the one! ----Time will tell! :rolleyes:

Q: What do TWA and US people have in common?

A: They both expect to repair their failed careers on the backs of others.

I don't think the UA or DL people will be "applauding" when the TWAers "have their say" (whatever that means). You tried to do to UA and DL what the TWAers tried to do to us.

We remember during the proposed UA merger when you US F/As were asking the UA F/As how much seniority was required to get the choice trips. Didn't UA F/As try to oust the AFA because of your lust for their routes? Were not the US pilots calling UA for the B747-400 manual because they fully expected to fly them? Got news for you, there is a thing called career expectations. At US you could have never expected to fly to Asia just as the US pilots could have never expected to fly the B747-400 is US colors. TWA brought 9 767s to the transaction but their pilots demanded access to ALL of AA 100+ widebodies and the TWA F/As felt they should be able to fly routes like DFW-NRT, ORD-NRT, ORD-PVG, etc.
AA has done plenty of good for the TWAers. About 35% are right now working for AA making top pay with a pension and retirement medical (unlike you) and they carried over their sick time from TWA along with how much vacation they get. They may b1tch because they were not able to "get it all" at the expense of the nAAtives but the alternative they faced was having nothing on the street. Those who did get laid off (almost all)have recall rights to top pay and they got max severance (except the F/As) when they did get laid off (which they would not have had if AA didn't step in).
The only way AA will involve itself in US is if US shuts down completely and liquidates. They take gates, slots, and routes then hire massively off the streets; starting at the bottom of the pay scale and seniority lists.
<_< ---- Now, Now, aa! Don't tell tales out of school here! ExTWAer's AA retirement credit started in 2002! So please don't try to miss lead these good people! When AA bought TWA, we had aprox. 20,000 employees! Now, I don't know where aa's getting his number's, but I don't see near 35% of that number anywhere around here! Oh yes! We did get our sick time! :rolleyes:

It sounds good in theory, but the problem is that US/AA would have a tough time convincing the NW BOD that this is the better option unless they pay substantially more than what DL is offering. Furthermore, I can't think that ANY of NWs labor groups would meet said proposal with anything short of an all out war.

As for the China authorities, of which NW holds 28 (as of 2009), I believe only the recent one is bound to DTW. The other 21 are currently operated via NRT, but they have at times been operated to DTW and MSP in the past, so I don't think they are route specific.

Of course, the AA/US pursuit of NW would include more money than the Delta deal and would allow NW to keep its identity, systems, headquarters, etc. Regarding the Pacific analysis, I just figured that AA already has a few trans pac routes to NRT, so there real interest is the beyond rights. I'd suppose that NW would retain 3 or 4 trans pac routes to NRT plus one or two to china from DTW, along with obtaining US's PHL china route, that leaves the new Northwest with some way's to grow a pac system again. I'd suppose that AA gaining a NRT operation would cause JAL to reconsider oneworld alliance.... maybe.

Give me a break. If they are in bAAnkrupcy they don't have a choice what to stAAnd for. Besides, reinstating seniority is not anything that hasn't occured in the past. When USAir and Piedmont merged, US reinstated the seniority Piedmont has taken from the Empire F/As.
Yea, just another one of Piedmont's dirty secrects

The Wall Street Journal must have different sources than you regarding the matter of US Airways and United Airlines.

To broaden its options, though, United also is looking at a more remote possibility of buying US Airways, said one person familiar with the matter. It wouldn't be the first time. United tried to acquire US Airways in 2000 but the plan was dropped in the face of regulatory resistance.

Another person familiar with the matter said United and US Airways have been in talks about a potential merger for over a month. The companies have done "a lot of work together" on what the synergies could be and are floating around a number that could be at least as attractive as synergies in a United-Continental linkup, this person said. Those synergies would be driven by the strength of US Airways' route network in the East, this person said, adding that the synergies would also be "meaningfully higher" than the $1 billion-plus in annual revenue and cost savings number that Northwest and Delta have said they expect to generate in a merger.

The Wall Street Journal must have different sources than you regarding the matter of US Airways and United Airlines.

To broaden its options, though, United also is looking at a more remote possibility of buying US Airways, said one person familiar with the matter. It wouldn't be the first time. United tried to acquire US Airways in 2000 but the plan was dropped in the face of regulatory resistance.

Another person familiar with the matter said United and US Airways have been in talks about a potential merger for over a month. The companies have done "a lot of work together" on what the synergies could be and are floating around a number that could be at least as attractive as synergies in a United-Continental linkup, this person said. Those synergies would be driven by the strength of US Airways' route network in the East, this person said, adding that the synergies would also be "meaningfully higher" than the $1 billion-plus in annual revenue and cost savings number that Northwest and Delta have said they expect to generate in a merger.

Athens, Vienna, Lisbon, Madrid, Barcelona, Venice, Milan, Manchester, Stockholm, Amsterdam, Dublin, Glasgow, Shannon, and whatever other European Cities US has would be a nice addition to United. Although it would be via Philadelphia.

I hope this is what you US Airways guys want :)

Would that make US Airways/United the worlds largest airline?

Athens, Vienna, Lisbon, Madrid, Barcelona, Venice, Milan, Manchester, Stockholm, Amsterdam, Dublin, Glasgow, Shannon, and whatever other European Cities US has would be a nice addition to United. Although it would be via Philadelphia.

I hope this is what you US Airways guys want :)

Would that make US Airways/United the worlds largest airline?

No gallego, seria el circo volador mas grande del mundo!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back