AA Agents: CWA or Unorganized?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The union has to rely on its track record, and I don't think it's all that great. Comparing what Verizon has with an airline sounds great until you start to remember that the CWA is a telecom union first and foremost, and a lot of what they've accomplished for their call center workers at Verizon is piggybacking off what they got for the ultra-skilled guys also represented by CWA who work as linemen and switch technicians. CWA has nobody else to piggyback off of at AA.

None of the agents I've worked alongside and stay in contact with have any interest in voting in a union. They've seen what little good the TWU has been able to accomplish thru the bankruptcy process, and are more worried about losing the flexibility they have today.

Reactions: 1 person
Ms Tree said:
I had close to 20 years with the company.  Most of it at agent level.  Never had an interest in being in a union.  Why would we want to pay extra to be as miserable as all of you here?  I cannot recall a single person on here who is happy with their situation and their union.  I think it's safe to say that everyone of you on here has bitched and moaned about their job, work rules or something.  So why should I pay even more of the little money I made with AA to be screwed over by AA and the union?
So you will not continue on the passenger service outsource program that AA carry’s out
Look around AA has outsource how many jobs functions and classifications in your 20 years as a agent

Most major stations have AA personnel. All calls from the US are answered by US agents can you say the same with other carriers with unions (UA)? What about US? The outsourced many reservation functions. Guess you didn't know non-union JetBlue has home based agents in the Salt Lake City area handling calls, and all of Delta is on-shore too.

The CWA still collects dues when a small stations goes to Piedmont, just like Air Wisconsin and the IAM.

Josh

737823 said:
Most major stations have AA personnel. All calls from the US are answered by US agents can you say the same with other carriers with unions (UA)? What about US? The outsourced many reservation functions. Guess you didn't know non-union JetBlue has home based agents in the Salt Lake City area handling calls, and all of Delta is on-shore too.

The CWA still collects dues when a small stations goes to Piedmont, just like Air Wisconsin and the IAM.

Josh
You are not making sense
“All calls from the US are answered by US agents”
This is a good thing. Thanks
And Express Piedmont ground handling is union with a contract
This is a good thing. Thanks again

john john said:
You are not making senseAll calls from the US are answered by US agentsThis is a good thing. ThanksAnd Express Piedmont ground handling is union with a contractThis is a good thing. Thanks again
Union still collects dues on the backs of $9/hr workers that don't receive the same benefits. And Piedmont can handle mainline work. I will agree the CWA scope is better than the IAM but that isn't saying much. There are many stations your CWA personnel work above wing and fleet service is contacted. But I guess given the deficiencies in the CBA maybe it's cost effective for US to do the work in house?

Josh

737823 said:
And Piedmont can handle mainline work. I will agree the CWA scope is better
Josh
Thank You
Piedmont ground service works a very very very small percent of mainline work above the wing…………….
Agent work that may not be contracted out:

http://american-agents.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2014/02/jobsecuritytableairportv2.pdf

Reservation work that may not be contracted out:

http://american-agents.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2014/02/jobsecuritytableresv7.pdf

737823 said:
Union still collects dues on the backs of $9/hr workers that don't receive the same benefits.

Josh
They pay dues to have bargaining power so management will be required by law to sit down, listen to their concerns, and negotiate with them over pay, benefits, working conditions, and company policies. No more imposing working conditions.
To have a legally binding contract so management can’t take away Agents’ benefits and change working conditions.
Gains Agents negotiated in their first contract at Piedmont will be legally binding, meaning that management could not impose working conditions like they have done in the past. If managements wants changes, they would have to negotiate the with Agents

US does not outsource its call centers, they were allowed temporally under the 2005 Chapter 11, and the CWA got snapbacks on their pay, benefits and work rules.

737823 said:
Union still collects dues on the backs of $9/hr workers that don't receive the same benefits. And Piedmont can handle mainline work. I will agree the CWA scope is better than the IAM but that isn't saying much. There are many stations your CWA personnel work above wing and fleet service is contacted. But I guess given the deficiencies in the CBA maybe it's cost effective for US to do the work in house?

Josh
Can you ever stay on topic?

Every time you are losing a debate you deflect and change.

Off-Topic--Alert.gif

737823 said:
Union still collects dues on the backs of $9/hr workers that don't receive the same benefits.

Josh
Apples and Oranges,

An apple and an orange
A comparison of apples and oranges occurs when two items or groups of items are compared that cannot be practically compared.
The idiom, comparing apples and oranges, refers to the apparent differences between items which are popularly thought to be incomparable or incommensurable, such as apples and oranges. The idiom may also be used to indicate that a false analogy has been made between two items, such as where an apple is faulted for not being a good orange.

john john said:
So you will not continue on the passenger service outsource program that AA carry’s outLook around AA has outsource how many jobs functions and classifications in your 20 years as a agent
First of all I said had. Meaning that I no longer work for AA. Secondly, how many former union jobs have been out sourced? Reading through the various threads here I would conclude that it has been more than a few. So given that jobs both union and non union are being out sourced (seemingly at similar rates) why on earth would I want to pay dues so that I can get screwed over by yet another entity? It's not as if unions actually give a crap about the welfare of the company or the employee. They care about their own welfare just as the company does.

I was fully cable of being bitter about my job with out any assistance from the unions. Ell as a scheduler, a majority of my bitterness was cause by the unions.

Find me one person on here who is satisfied with both the union who represents them and their job (pay, rules, environment..). I get the feeling you'll have to go to the SWA board to find tat and even then it might be impossible.

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.