AA cutting 900 attendant jobs

Do the letters have to be individual, or do they just have to notify the union? I thought it was just the union who then notifies X amount of members that their ticket might get punched.

Sent by AA, APFA is not in charge of enforcing Federal law thankfully!

Notifying the union and not the employee does appear to meet the letter of the law where a CBA is involved:

The employer must give written notice to the chief elected officer of the exclusive representative(s) or bargaining agency(s) of affected employees and to unrepresented individual workers who may reasonably be expected to experience an employment loss. This includes employees who may lose their employment due to "bumping," or displacement by other workers, to the extent that the employer can identify those employees when notice is given. If an employer cannot identify employees who may lose their jobs through bumping procedures, the employer must provide notice to the incumbents in the jobs which are being eliminated. Employees who have worked less than 6 months in the last 12 months and employees who work an average of less than 20 hours a week are due notice, even though they are not counted when determining the trigger levels.

Plant Closing: A covered employer must give notice if an employment site (or one or more facilities or operating units within an employment site) will be shut down, and the shutdown will result in an employment loss (as defined later) for 50 or more employees during any 30-day period. This does not count employees who have worked less than 6 months in the last 12 months or employees who work an average of less than 20 hours a week for that employer. These latter groups, however, are entitled to notice (discussed later).

Mass Layoff: A covered employer must give notice if there is to be a mass layoff which does not result from a plant closing, but which will result in an employment loss at the employment site during any 30-day period for 500 or more employees, or for 50-499 employees if they make up at least 33% of the employer's active workforce. Again, this does not count employees who have worked less than 6 months in the last 12 months or employees who work an average of less than 20 hours a week for that employer. These latter groups, however, are entitled to notice (discussed later).

An employer also must give notice if the number of employment losses which occur during a 30-day period fails to meet the threshold requirements of a plant closing or mass layoff, but the number of employment losses for 2 or more groups of workers, each of which is less than the minimum number needed to trigger notice, reaches the threshold level, during any 90-day period, of either a plant closing or mass layoff. Job losses within any 90-day period will count together toward WARN threshold levels, unless the employer demonstrates that the employment losses during the 90-day period are the result of separate and distinct actions and causes.

In practice, AMR issued the letters to everyone regardless of their represented/unrepresented status.

Then again, it's probably arguable whether or not AMR's unionized employees are actually represented....

We used to ship overnight letters for about $5, so spending under $5000 with UPS is nothing compared to the cost of giving late notice. Plus, UPS keeps track of delivery, so there's no claiming "I didn't get mine!" by the employee...

Plus, UPS keeps track of delivery, so there's no claiming "I didn't get mine!" by the employee...
For whatever it may be worth, my wife's appears to have arrived today by FedEx Standard Overnight Service. It was left at the front door (not much of a proof of service, Eric). I assume it is the WARN notice because the return address is American Airlines Flight Service Administration. I will not know for sure until she gets home on a layover and opens it.

On the occasion of my 1,000th post, I have decided to retire the TWAnr moniker. It has been over seven years since I had last non-revved on Trans World Airlines. It is time to let bygones be.

For whatever it may be worth, my wife's appears to have arrived today by FedEx Standard Overnight Service. It was left at the front door (not much of a proof of service, Eric). I assume it is the WARN notice because the return address is American Airlines Flight Service Administration. I will not know for sure until she gets home on a layover and opens it.

On the occasion of my 1,000th post, I have decided to retire the TWAnr moniker. It has been over seven years since I had last non-revved on Trans World Airlines. It is time to let bygones be.

Nah, if they get furloughed, time for another age discrimination lawsuit. Wekcome back.

Although I am only an Eagle Person,,,, I wish all of you the best of luck since it seems you will be more impactked than us on theses furoloughs... You have all been great and I hope they offer early out/ealy retirement...... Best of luck to those that have been so gracious to me.............. Colleen

Nah, if they get furloughed, time for another age discrimination lawsuit. Wekcome back.
Yes that's it !!! Good next move on your part !!! Another bogges lawsuit .... The BTR ( bridge to retirement )is a good option for all furloughed F/As that are atleast 50 years old.

I fail to understand the BTR deal. The majority of FA's over 50 years old have better than 20 years and would do better to take article 30 and the 25,000. Had the BTR been for 40 year olds, or simply add 5 years to your seniority, The amount of takers would have been strong, added in with the leaves, I think we could find enough people to avoid a furlough.

I sent a letter to Lauri Curtis asking if there was a chance of an offer that might be available to a larger group of people who are ready or able to leave. Her reply was sympathetic, but stated they have no plans to offer something different.