AA eliminates SFO-HNL

It may resemble what they did with DCA-I and just route them through another INTL base.

That is exactly what happened. Flight attendants at SFO already submitted their ballots and the transfers are posted on the Flight Service website. Most chose to go to SFO-D, a few are going to IDF and IOR and a few to LAX-I.

I'm not sure what the two of you mean. "Routing through" another International base--as they did (for awhile) with DCA-I by including a domestic leg (IAD-MIA) with continuation to the Caribbean--is one thing. Transferring to another base is something else entirely and rather more permanent.

S80dude, I'm assuming that you mean that they have already been told that the base is closing; so, they have chosen to fall back to SFO-D or transfer to another international base. I'm just surprised that the company did not even put out a broadcast HI6 to announce the closing. They did announce the elimination of the flight, but not the base closing. Or, if they did, I did not see it for some reason, and I am one of those dweebs who at least looks at each HI6. (I don't bother reading the ones that go on forever about menu changes in International service. I won't live long enough to proffer for International. :lol:)

Read info here

Word came today that effective Sept. 7th, AA is eliminating SFO-HNL flights.

Ancient news.

The end of the SFO-HNL-SFO service was announced in April and reported in the Dallas Morning News on April 26, 2011:
And in another, shall we call it, historic change, American on Sept. 7 will end its San Francisco-Honolulu service.

Spokesman Ed Martelle said that of the 32 flights from San Francisco, 31 go to one of American's five "cornerstone" markets upon which American is focusing all its efforts. The one exception is that flight that goes to Honolulu.

The San Francisco-Honolulu route has been flying so long that we're not sure when it started. We do know that the Civil Aeronautics Board in 1969 recommended giving American rights to fly to Hawaii from San Francisco, Boston, New York and St. Louis.

Latest posts