AA should buy ALASKA Air !

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
With UAL, soon to grow larger than AA, plus everyone else "Sniffing" each other, like Dogs in Heat, should AA (FINALLY) purchase ALASKA Air ??????

I agree(to a point) that AA not go into a merger frenzy, like everyone else, BUT I also think AA should NOT totally sit by, and watch the "grass grow"

Alaska air would bring AA, a WIN- WIN-WIN situation.

An Asian hub, SEATTLE !(AA Asian customers in the NW quardrant should'nt have to "double back" to ORD/DFW)

Alaska has a non-union workforce(FSC's, agents) in it largest hub SEA.

A/E could handle (nicely) the Horizon operation.

AS has 737-800's, and 900's(same cockpit, and Maintainence, I think)

plus, perhaps the best "gem" is AS's very profitable ALASKA passenger, AND A/F operation !!

As AA/Asia expands, AS's west coast flow, up to SEA, could feed it NICELY.

The time to act, is fast approaching.
Again, NOT a MEGA-MERGER, but instead, a "nice juicy PLUM"

With HUBS like DFW/SEA.....ORD....MIA/SJU, and a focus city like JFK, would have the ol' GLOBE, covered nicely.

Your thoughts ????????

NH/BB's

With UAL, soon to grow larger than AA, plus everyone else "Sniffing" each other, like Dogs in Heat, should AA (FINALLY) purchase ALASKA Air ??????

I agree(to a point) that AA not go into a merger frenzy, like everyone else, BUT I also think AA should NOT totally sit by, and watch the "grass grow"

Alaska air would bring AA, a WIN- WIN-WIN situation.

An Asian hub, SEATTLE !(AA Asian customers in the NW quardrant should'nt have to "double back" to ORD/DFW)

Alaska has a non-union workforce(FSC's, agents) in it largest hub SEA.

A/E could handle (nicely) the Horizon operation.

AS has 737-800's, and 900's(same cockpit, and Maintainence, I think)

plus, perhaps the best "gem" is AS's very profitable ALASKA passenger, AND A/F operation !!

As AA/Asia expands, AS's west coast flow, up to SEA, could feed it NICELY.

The time to act, is fast approaching.
Again, NOT a MEGA-MERGER, but instead, a "nice juicy PLUM"

With HUBS like DFW/SEA.....ORD....MIA/SJU, and a focus city like JFK, would have the ol' GLOBE, covered nicely.

Your thoughts ????????

NH/BB's

BUT......Their f/a's are AFA. I wonder what APFA will do. B) B)

Sooooooooooooo........That would put all those Alaska folks under the TWA folks in the layoff line?

NH/BB--

One small correction...

The agents are still in the IAM, and the FSC's are locked out (that's currently in arbitration).

Also, what would A/E fly to the smaller stations (currently covered with Dash-8 flying)?

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Just a speculation Kev, but (hypothetically) I think it would be easier for AA to acquire AS with Horizon "along in tow" !

Also from a (hypo) standpoint(you KNOW I'm NO fan of screwing other unions), AA's non union agent workforce would prevail, and even after successful arbitration, AA's (DOG ####) TWU would prevail with no less than a "ratio", similiar to TWA.

If UAL does a deal, this AA/AS thing "could" get mighty Interesting.

One thing that has always caught my attention, is how much the average airline employee(or Monday morning Quarterbacks, like all of us) DOES NOT KNOW about AS.

I exclude you from that generalization.

regards,

NH/BB's

IMHO the best thing for AA to do if merger mania takes hold again is to sit on the sidelines.

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='421036' date='Oct 8 2006, 10:20 PM']STAPLE!!!![/quote]

Of course I expected that answer from you. I highly doubt that Alaska f/a's will give up their SCOPE to be stapled by your precious country club called APFA.

If United were strong enough to buy AMR they could do the same to you. Never say never. And the UA f/a's know what you did to the TWA f/a's. What goes around does come around eventually. :shock:

[quote name='galleyguy4u2' post='421051' date='Oct 8 2006, 06:43 PM']Of course I expected that answer from you. I highly doubt that Alaska f/a's will give up their SCOPE to be stapled by your precious country club called APFA.

If United were strong enough to buy AMR they could do the same to you. Never say never. And the UA f/a's know what you did to the TWA f/a's. What goes around does come around eventually. :shock:[/quote]

It really doesn't matter if they have an iron clad SCOPE. Apparently, AA can do anything it wants regardless of the consequences. (at least until NOV) Alaska Air is a wonderful Co with quite a few former TWA f/as now flying for them. I certainly hope they don't wreck havoc with them like they did with us. I'm not talking about finances but real flesh and blood people. With the f/as, the APFA will be the surviving Union and my guess is they would be stapled. To do anything else would be asking for another round of lawsuits. As AA keeps eating up other companies, the Unions had better start watching the numbers. The numbers just might change. Add in the AA f/as apathy when it comes to voting and it might become interesting. Although Alaska is my favorite place and I would love year round trips, I hope this is nothing more than a "what if". They are much too nice and like the former TWA f/as would never accept AAs "corporate culture".

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='421036' date='Oct 8 2006, 05:20 PM']STAPLE!!!![/quote]

Translation: "OFF WITH THEIR HEADS" or "ME ME ME ME!"

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='421036' date='Oct 8 2006, 02:20 PM']STAPLE!!!![/quote]

Not Quite sweets.... The AFA is very keen on merger and aquisitions... They also have it in their C&B that in the event of a merger you grant them their DOH... It would be very interesting - the AFA is MUCH MUCH MUCH larger and MUCH more powerful than the measly APFA.. Sorry but AS doesn't need the troubles of AMR.

<_< --- I've always thought Alaska Airlines would be a good economic choice for aa! I was hoping Alaska Air and TWA could have gotten together! But it wasn't meant to be! Politically? Different story! Unless the people of aa change their strips on this one,( Not likely!) I feel it could mean more of the same as with TWA!!!--- :down: As would be true with any "merger/buyout"! Any Airline's employees would be concerned! aa and it's Unions have shown their true colors with the TWA debacle! :shock:

<_< --- I've always thought Alaska Airlines would be a good economic choice for aa! I was hoping Alaska Air and TWA could have gotten together! But it wasn't meant to be! Politically? Different story! Unless the people of aa change their strips on this one,( Not likely!) I feel it could mean more of the same as with TWA!!!--- :down: As would be true with any "merger/buyout"! Any Airline's employees would be concerned! aa and it's Unions have shown their true colors with the TWA debacle! :shock:

Correct - true colors and VERY bad attitude towards everything it entailed. If I were to be bought out by AA i would just rather my company go chapter 7... AA wont be gobbling anyone up this round wothout a fight. And rightly so.

Not Quite sweets.... The AFA is very keen on merger and aquisitions... They also have it in their C&B that in the event of a merger you grant them their DOH... It would be very interesting - the AFA is MUCH MUCH MUCH larger and MUCH more powerful than the measly APFA.. Sorry but AS doesn't need the troubles of AMR.
Yea don't mess with the AFA. They are very keen. Did you see the strength in boycotting the Jodie foster film? Impressive. See how close they come to organizing Delta (2 times). Amazing.

So, Now that they are owned by a larger union. They have shown the world there keenness as they brought NWA management to there knees. My mistake, I forgot they backed off not once but twice on there chaos threats and now have the NWA group working under the last NWA offer.

The AFA does not inspire confidence in leadership or its organization. Quivering ball of (insert your own adjective and noun here) in the corner better fits a description of the AFA.

Latest posts