AA should buy ALASKA Air !

That is pfalse and you know it. galleyguy4u2 got it right.

It was not pfalse. THB tols several flight attendants in DFW, that AA did offer the extra 2 years to open the CBA. You think she is going to tell the former TWA f/a's that? No way in h***would she!

Get to work on that new lawsuit. You only have a little time left to no recall rights.

If your wife wants to fly, she can have my spot. I would gladly give it to her.

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='422262' date='Oct 13 2006, 01:29 PM']If your wife wants to fly, she can have my spot. I would gladly give it to her.[/quote]
You have no spot to give, since you are junior to the TWAers. We know who you are. You are the biggest pflame bater on these boards.

You have no spot to give, since you are junior to the TWAers. We know who you are. You are the biggest pflame bater on these boards.

I could careless if you know me. I also know you and your wife!! The deal is I am senior to your wife. This is why I am not on furlough and your wife is here
UI-counter.jpg
and on furlough!!

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='422320' date='Oct 14 2006, 02:30 AM']I could careless if you know me. I also know you and your wife!! The deal is I am senior to your wife. This is why I am not on furlough and your wife is here
UI-counter.jpg
and on furlough!![/quote] <_< ------Keep it up 'Nor'Wester! You may tip NR over the top with that law suit!!!! :shock: :shock: And attacking the man's wife is an all time low, even for you! :down:

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='422320' date='Oct 13 2006, 07:30 PM']This is why I am not on furlough...[/quote]
You are such a pfony, it's a travesty.

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='422320' date='Oct 14 2006, 02:30 AM']I could careless if you know me. I also know you and your wife!! The deal is I am senior to your wife. This is why I am not on furlough and your wife is here
UI-counter.jpg
and on furlough!![/quote]

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Nor'Easta,

I'm "with you" 90+ % of the time.

However "this" IS "crossing the line"

A "retraction" would'nt KILL Ya', but you decide.

NH/BB's

Uh, what was the topic?....

Bears, should AA merge with AS? Hell no. As I've said before when mergers come up, AA would be better off sitting this round out, if it even comes to fruition. CAL can't merge without NWA's blessing, UAL isn't all that attractive as a partner (as Jamie Baker stated so elloquently this week, "mediocracy will suffice"), and DAL is even uglier.

AA could easily duplicate most if not all of AS's domestic operation already, with the exception of Horizon. If inter-Alaska flying were really all that profitable, there'd be someone else doing it. As it is, large chunks of it are flown by glorified air-taxi's, and the rest is essentially unsubsidized essential air service that AS has to operate to remain in political favor with the powers at be....

Union representation: I seriously doubt there'd be a 35% card turnout in any of the workgroups other than perhaps M&R. Flight attendants may not like APFA, but AFA has been a dismal failure since their "merger" with CWA (which was really a lifeline to keep AFA from going insolvent). ALPA has done marginally better, but I don't see enough discourse within the AA pilot ranks to carry a 35% vote. As already noted, IAM was decimated at AS when the hubs were outsourced (as opposed to everyone else's approach to outsource the outstations...).

Even with the M&R group... There might be a vote, but AS's overhaul doesn't exist anymore if I recall, so AMFA represented line mechanics can't possibly number more than about 5% of AA's mechanics. I wouldn't want to put odds on that one either way, but if I had to, it would be another close call in the TWU's favor (especially if AMFA settles at NWA -- about the only thing they can say that they won was some severence pay...).

On the topic of pension liability, the $2.6B in underfunding is calculated at estimated rates of return. If the underlying securities happen to perform better than the estimated rates, the underfunding could feasibly be cut by $500M to $1B without a dime of make-up contributions from AMR.

There are other variables: as people like me bail out (thus freezing our pensions), that future liability shrinks. To the extent that management and agents are replaced by people who aren't in the defined benefit program, it shrinks even more.

Oh the "Ms. Mickey" thing, it that somehow funny? Or just someone completely over their head looking to make a personal attack, because there point is so weak? What do you know asked and answered.
:p

I am sure the AFA's trolling of dues from many thousands of members in your mind makes them MUCH MUCH stronger. But even with that they needed to be taken over because of huge losses.

Those TENS OF THOUSANDS STRONGER...... Has AFA done anything but watch the pensions and pay for the TENS OF THOUSANDS hard working flight attendants disappear? How has those TENS OF THOUSANDS STRONGER helped the NWA f/a's? AFA the union of all bark and no bite.

What exactly IS your beef with AFA? If memory serves me correctly, your union didn't keep you from MASSIVE concessions that saved AA's asss. I am no big fan of AFA, but perhaps if ALL USA airlines were one union, we would have the TRUE power to stop the destruction of thousands of jobs and the continual degrading of our quality of life. The bickering of unions never made sense to me. We should stick TOGETHER as professionals whether in the same union or not!!

This idea would be bad for AS employees. TWA all over again. Reno Air all over again.

Not Quite sweets.... The AFA is very keen on merger and aquisitions... They also have it in their C&B that in the event of a merger you grant them their DOH... It would be very interesting - the AFA is MUCH MUCH MUCH larger and MUCH more powerful than the measly APFA.. Sorry but AS doesn't need the troubles of AMR.
DOH policy only applies if both carriers are AFA carriers

What exactly IS your beef with AFA? If memory serves me correctly, your union didn't keep you from MASSIVE concessions that saved AA's asss. I am no big fan of AFA, but perhaps if ALL USA airlines were one union, we would have the TRUE power to stop the destruction of thousands of jobs and the continual degrading of our quality of life. The bickering of unions never made sense to me. We should stick TOGETHER as professionals whether in the same union or not!!

My beef with AFA, is there total ineptness. With NWA. Twice passing on standing up to management, and choosing to throw the FA's under the bus. Having to be taken over by an international in order to starve off insolvency, by twice trying to organize Delta.

APFA is in no ways perfect, each union is a representative of those who are involved. When we become complacent and let the idiots take over and run the show. We get people like AFA has at the top and like our very own john ward. His reward was to be sent back to the line.

I disagree that a single union would make things better or us all stronger. There will always be the groups that are half or less involved and would require everyone else to step up and do the hard work. Use Delta as an example. When push comes to shove and the fa union said strike would you get better than 36%? Unlikely, and should AA, usair and united walk off there jobs to support that?

Realistically the government would never allow a strike of a whole industry.

I disagree that a single union would make things better or us all stronger. There will always be the groups that are half or less involved and would require everyone else to step up and do the hard work.

Amen! And the membership of the APFA is a perfect example. When I was based at DFW, AA's largest f/a base, I was involved with local base union work. A base meeting was held once a month.

Most months, attendance at the base meeting which dealt with union business of interest to the DFW f/as consisted of the base chair, the base vice-chair, me and a new-hire classmate of mine. My classmate and I were in the bottom 500 in base seniority out of 3500-4000 f/as (then. It's not that many now).

Uh, what was the topic?....
Bears, should AA merge with AS? Hell no. As I've said before when mergers come up, AA would be better off sitting this round out, if it even comes to fruition. CAL can't merge without NWA's blessing, UAL isn't all that attractive as a partner (as Jamie Baker stated so elloquently this week, "mediocracy will suffice"), and DAL is even uglier.

AA could easily duplicate most if not all of AS's domestic operation already, with the exception of Horizon. If inter-Alaska flying were really all that profitable, there'd be someone else doing it. As it is, large chunks of it are flown by glorified air-taxi's, and the rest is essentially unsubsidized essential air service that AS has to operate to remain in political favor with the powers at be....
Union representation: I seriously doubt there'd be a 35% card turnout in any of the workgroups other than perhaps M&R. Flight attendants may not like APFA, but AFA has been a dismal failure since their "merger" with CWA (which was really a lifeline to keep AFA from going insolvent). ALPA has done marginally better, but I don't see enough discourse within the AA pilot ranks to carry a 35% vote. As already noted, IAM was decimated at AS when the hubs were outsourced (as opposed to everyone else's approach to outsource the outstations...).

Even with the M&R group... There might be a vote, but AS's overhaul doesn't exist anymore if I recall, so AMFA represented line mechanics can't possibly number more than about 5% of AA's mechanics. I wouldn't want to put odds on that one either way, but if I had to, it would be another close call in the TWU's favor (especially if AMFA settles at NWA -- about the only thing they can say that they won was some severence pay...).
On the topic of pension liability, the $2.6B in underfunding is calculated at estimated rates of return. If the underlying securities happen to perform better than the estimated rates, the underfunding could feasibly be cut by $500M to $1B without a dime of make-up contributions from AMR.

There are other variables: as people like me bail out (thus freezing our pensions), that future liability shrinks. To the extent that management and agents are replaced by people who aren't in the defined benefit program, it shrinks even more.

I would have to agree.

Don’t get me wrong, I think American is a pretty well-run airline, but they’ve already shown twice that they can’t run a west coast operation (think AirCal and Reno Air), and that they don’t always pick the best merger partner (TWA). I didn’t have anything against TWA, either; I just don’t think it was the strategic prize AA thought it was.

I would have to agree.

Don’t get me wrong, I think American is a pretty well-run airline, but they’ve already shown twice that they can’t run a west coast operation (think AirCal and Reno Air), and that they don’t always pick the best merger partner (TWA). I didn’t have anything against TWA, either; I just don’t think it was the strategic prize AA thought it was.

Nor do we think it was the strategic prize AA thinks they are...lol

Latest posts

Back