AA to park 10 AB6 and 20 MD-80 aircraft

Creider said airlines "must embrace employee involvement" to mitigate worry that savings may drive workers out of their jobs.

Well under the last plan to save jobs and money we lost nearly 4000 mechanics.

Sorry to see more of the A-300s go, they are the best weapon for busting management OT bans!

That said it seems strange to get rid of money makers(when they fly) and keep money losers.

Are we sure thats not in addition too? That alone doesnt make up a lot of seats or flights. On the other hand, flying something other than the airbus will improve our ontime arrivals and departures. I am sure they will still keep the remaining flying to and from Venezuela. We leave with the tanks topped at close to 90,000lbs. No one has been able to give me a price, but as I understand its dirt cheap.

"Airlines must find efficiencies in era of rising fuel, labor costs, officials say"

... labor costs? :lol:

Same tired 'Blame it on labor' drum beat. You can't pay me and turn a profit?
Then shut it down!!!!

GMAFB...

Are we sure thats not in addition too? That alone doesnt make up a lot of seats or flights. On the other hand, flying something other than the airbus will improve our ontime arrivals and departures. I am sure they will still keep the remaining flying to and from Venezuela. We leave with the tanks topped at close to 90,000lbs. No one has been able to give me a price, but as I understand its dirt cheap.

Considering that gas is about .12 a gallon it must be cheap!

"Airlines must find efficiencies in era of rising fuel, labor costs, officials say"

... labor costs? :lol:

Same tired 'Blame it on labor' drum beat. You can't pay me and turn a profit?
Then shut it down!!!!

GMAFB...
They seem to pay themselfs nicely..... aren't they part of the high labor costs too???

Are we sure thats not in addition too? That alone doesnt make up a lot of seats or flights.

I'm wondering the same thing. Nothing has happened since May to indicate that fewer than announced MD-80s could be grounded. It is more likely that the 20 a/c mentioned are, as you say, in addition to the 40-45 previously announced. They announced 40-45 when crude oil was just under $130/bbl. It was $136.75/bbl for August delivery today.`

Either Creider misspoke or the reporter misinterpreted his remarks.

I'm wondering the same thing. Nothing has happened since May to indicate that fewer than announced MD-80s could be grounded. It is more likely that the 20 a/c mentioned are, as you say, in addition to the 40-45 previously announced. They announced 40-45 when crude oil was just under $130/bbl. It was $136.75/bbl for August delivery today.`

From what I have heard there are 20 or so S-80s aready parked.These A/C will permently be sent back and then in the fall 20 more will go back , for a total of 40.

From what I have heard there are 20 or so S-80s aready parked.These A/C will permently be sent back and then in the fall 20 more will go back , for a total of 40.
That would make sense. Which makes it suspect when dealing with AA management. :lol: Their decisions tend not to indicate that sense, common or otherwise, was used in determining the course of action.

I'm afraid that when all is said and done, the final groundings will involve more than the 40 MD-80s and Airbii that we know about now. The prime motivator here is the cost of fuel, and everything so far seems to indicate that it will continue to rise in price for the foreseeable future.

That's exactly what we are all trying to determine. No one seems to know. I called my mole, and he didn't have a clue where Creider came up with the number 20.

Perhaps I'm mistaken here, but AMR tends to publicize a bunch of negative stuff like this when economic conditions play into their hands. Those 80s and Scarebuses were going anyway - the question was when.

The negative spin assists (they believe) in dealings with the three unions.

I believe what we'll see and hear is doom and gloom coming from the company while they are negotiating with Boeing to take the build slots of those airlines wishing to defer delivery of new 737s and whatever else AA has on its shopping list.

So, you really don't believe that getting rid of widebodies without any replacements, and grounding more MD80's than there are replacements won't have a real impact?

AMR is shrinking, and jobs are disappearing. Anyone who thinks it is just negotiations spin is in some pretty serious denial...

Perhaps I'm mistaken here, but AMR tends to publicize a bunch of negative stuff like this when economic conditions play into their hands. Those 80s and Scarebuses were going anyway - the question was when.

The negative spin assists (they believe) in dealings with the three unions.

I believe what we'll see and hear is doom and gloom coming from the company while they are negotiating with Boeing to take the build slots of those airlines wishing to defer delivery of new 737s and whatever else AA has on its shopping list.

Goose, normally I would agree with you about AA usually crying wolf during bad economic times and union contract negotiations.... After all, in 1995 they locked us in to a whopping 6 1/2% raise for 6 years and those were some of the most profitable quarters and years for AMR during that period. but I do believe this time the cutting is due to the price of fuel and nothing else. What bothers me is the sacrifice employees made under the current concession world we live in now is going to get worse..Maybe had they done the shrinking 5 years ago instead of raping us, AA would at least not have a devastating morale issue on top of everything else.

I do agree with eolesen about the shrinking being for real and people will lose their jobs.....But as we will all see in the future, the company will once again continue the rewarding of executive PUPS regardless of AA's financial situation...

AA announces management cuts but as many of us in maintenance see, the hiring of managers continues as if nothing has happened.

Back