AAA Alpa Thread 10/19-10/25

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just caught the last part about the military and just had to pipe in...

East: I've got a new respect for you. I don't care what you say, the type young men who grow up to be SEALs don't "just happen". It takes parents doing the right things and raising them right. You have every right to be EXTREMELY proud of the type man you raised, and it IS a reflection of the type person YOU are :up: (I don't see a salute emotican)

AG: I don't care what you think about Bush, Clinton, or even Abe Lincoln. I don't care if you agree with this war. It's irrelevent. But when you call it "Bush's war", you denegrate the job being done by our military. Like it or not, this is OUR war, and your military is fighting for YOU.

Traderjake, any of this make any sense to you? Just curious on your take. I left it all in there for everyone to see. The good, the bad and the very ugly. Time for ALPA to go.

I'm Sherwin Kaplan, the attorney who represented the Soaring Eagles in the Bankruptcy Court hearing on US Airway's attempt to terminate the pilot's defined benefit pension plan. I was asked to give you my take on what happened in Court and what the next steps are.

The bottom line is simply this: as between ALPA and US Airways, US Airways cannot terminate the pension plan without ALPA's consent. The company recognized this basic fact and argued to Judge Mitchell that ALPA had already agreed to terminate the plan. Judge Mitchell disagreed and refused to rule that ALPA had signed off on the Plan's termination. He said that if ALPA already agreed to terminate the Plan (ALPA denies that it did), only an arbitrator can make that decision. If ALPA did not agree, US Airways cannot terminate the plan without ALPA's future agreement.

Based on what was said at the hearing, the truth is that ALPA never agreed to terminate the pension plan. The December13th letter the company relied on simply does not say that. And even if it did, the agreement would have to be ratified by the MEC and signed by the National President. It wasn't. I saw and heard the evidence US Airways presented and it was not enough. If it fights it through to the end, ALPA will win this grievance.

What led to this situation became painfully clear during four full days of testimony. If the financial information presented to the Court by the company is to be believed (and Judge Mitchell did believe it), US Airway's reorganization plan was derailed because of circumstances beyond its control the fact that the entire economy is in bad shape and, along with it, the airline industry. We were told that all of the company's projections for future revenue were wrong because the economy did not grow as much as management predicted. Cost cutting, however, did exceed projections--mainly because the pilots gave back everything the company asked them to give (no other union did so) and then agreed to more in a second round of givebacks.

Also according to the testimony of the company, the same factors that led revenue to drop in particular a slumping stock market and interest rates at a 40-year low caused future pension funding obligations to balloon. The numbers now being projected by the company assume an improving economy in all areas that affect its revenues. But for pension funding, the company continues to assume an absolutely worst case scenario especially for the years 2004 and 2005.

The simple fact is that both sets of assumptions can't be right. Either things will get better or they won't. If the economy gets better and both the pension plan and US Airways are still around, the pension numbers will come down and be manageable. If the economy doesn't get better, there will be no US Airways, regardless of what happens to the pension plan. Of course, if the economy gets better next year and US Airways is still around but the pension plan has been terminated, US Airways will save a lot of money and its investors will be richly rewarded. Once the defined benefit plan is gone, though, it is dead it can never come back.

I don't know what the Company told ATSB and its other prospective financiers (a representative of RSA testified, but no one, including the Judge, could figure out what he was saying). But if the company's representations to its financiers were similar to what it told its creditors committee, PBGC, the IRS and Congress, it was that its revenues would improve as the economy did, but its pension obligations would not change. Because of these unchanged pension obligations in the years 2004 and 2005, the company could not meet its cash flow requirements no matter how rosy its revenues.

In the face of this kind of presentation, no wonder ATSB required the company to resolve its pension issues (although ATSB never said to terminate the pension plan). Even using the company's own numbers (including its inflated pension funding) there is no funding problem for the Pension Plan until 2004. 2003 is manageable. If the economy hasn't improved by 2004, there will be no US Airways regardless of what happens to the pension plan. If the economy does improve and interest rates become reasonable, the 2004 pension funding numbers will come down dramatically. And if, for some reason they dont come down, a distress termination can be revisited then.

The only issue is whether the company has painted itself into a corner with its March 31st drop dead date. If so, whose fault is that? The retirees? The active pilots who have already given up more than everybody else combined? Or is it management's own fault? Maybe it is nobody's fault. And maybe it is not true. On the witness stand and under oath Dave Seigel refused to say the company would not survive if it did not emerge from bankruptcy on March 31st. He said it would be a serious obstacle. But he also said that the company had overcome other obstacles in the past.

The question now is whether ALPA will voluntarily agree to terminate the pension plan. If it does, it will be because management held the March 31st gun to its head and ALPA gave in. The truth is, at this point, nobody knows what will happen on March 31st if ALPA says no to terminating the Plan. Seigel and Cohen are smart men. The sooner they know that ALPA will not give in, the more time they will have to go to Plan B. If they dont have a plan B, they should be told that now is the time to prepare it. My guess is that they are assuming that ALPA will cave in. My hope is that ALPA will just say 'no'.

Terminating the pension plan helps nobody or nothing except for the company's cash flow (most of which would go to RSA anyway). No vested employee, regardless of age, will do as well under a defined contribution plan as he or she would under this defined benefit plan. Those within five to ten years of retirement age will be hurt the worst. Beyond all the numbers, there is this additional fact: switching from a defined benefit to a defined contribution plan shifts the risk of adverse market performance from the company to the employee.

Based on the testimony I heard at the hearing, ALPA has no better information on the company's true finances than I do. On the witness stand, one ALPA representative said that neither the MEC nor the negotiating committee had retained its own actuary and that when National ALPA's actuary was consulted, he was told that the company had provided insufficient information on which to base an opinion.

Every management witness I heard on the witness stand complimented ALPA on the generosity of its givebacks. Management has expressed its gratitude in two ways: by saying thank you and by saying give us more. In this case, give us your pension plan. It is time for ALPA to just say NO.

ALPA SAY NO TO THE COMPANY! INCLUDE MY NAME:

Comment: We all know what ALPA said. Don't we?

I just caught the last part about the military and just had to pipe in...

East: I've got a new respect for you. I don't care what you say, the type young men who grow up to be SEALs don't "just happen". It takes parents doing the right things and raising them right. You have every right to be EXTREMELY proud of the type man you raised, and it IS a reflection of the type person YOU are :up: (I don't see a salute emotican)

AG: I don't care what you think about Bush, Clinton, or even Abe Lincoln. I don't care if you agree with this war. It's irrelevent. But when you call it "Bush's war", you denegrate the job being done by our military. Like it or not, this is OUR war, and your military is fighting for YOU.

Very kind of you sir,and I thank you for the thought, but: That young man has always been his OWN man....and I take zero credit for him, other than basic food/shelter/etc...all I can offer is that, despite my best/any/all efforts, at screwing things up, he grew to be a wonderfull person, and a very strong man. God's Issue methinks, and I'm greatfull..although his chosen "work" offers up nightmares aplenty for me. Believe it or not? = I tried arguing him out of national service. His/Our family heritage is such that over two centuries of collective, in uniform, by forebears, recent attendants, by individual's time logged/etc.....collective time served stands within his immediate tree,..some few years admittedly, and very proudly, on the Confederate side, and....I really don't much care about that when it's about him...I just don't want him to get hurt...period. Our country needs dedicated soldiers/killers...what's new?....but...I'd rather be in any fighting area again than to have my "boy" be there, or anyone else's.

PS: Feel greatfull that you don't have occasional nightmares about your son calling for air support, and you, being "retired", and out of the business, and thousands of miles away...being able to do NOTHING...He's still my "baby". I fitfully sleep knowing how to precisely release ordinance on enemy positions.............thousand of miles away, and I'm usesless.

Addendum: I again thank you for your kind thoughts sir, but: this isn't the format/forum for us fretting over such, and it's likely best to get it back to topic. We've no personal conversation, so I'll note for your:"AG: I don't care what you think about Bush, Clinton, or even Abe Lincoln. I don't care if you agree with this war. It's irrelevent. But when you call it "Bush's war", you denegrate the job being done by our military. Like it or not, this is OUR war, and your military is fighting for YOU. " ...that such has ALWAYS been the same sir,...whether killing Brits/Yankees/Japs/Nazis/Communist bastards/whatever, all known history to my family tree,...It's a sad song still yet sung by our species sir. Despite any political winds blowing about any compass? = The only thing any man can do is seek to do what's Right....at the given moment in history.....and that just purely sucks sometimes.

Your thoughts and I hope prayers for all of our "kids" in danger are both worthy, and, I actually hope/believe...usefull. Thousands have died, many more will...and....given that we all live but fruitfly lifespans....let's hope that the human spirit, and it's duties done in life, actually count for something in the "Big Picture". "Duty, Honor, Country"...there are worse notions to live by.

"Glory" is pretty much overrated methinks.

The point is that your military service amounts to little more than just collecting a paycheck

Ya' know bozo? Screw you..perhaps that's all your "service" meant to you, given that you seemingly extoll the "virtue" of having never seen combat, and I'm fully glad that I never had the burden of some worthless/chickenshit-jackass like you in in my squadron. The next time you wish to beat your pathetically small chest, how about offerring up ANYTHING that YOU have actually done?.. I could give a rat's arse about your "classmates" you little princess. Given the "never been shot at" = you're now trying to magically grow a pair only in cybersapce?, by way of some stupid chat board?, or..it just goes with politically correct BS? Sigh..you "new generation" pretty much just disgust me. There were/are always ways for a Man to find his way into a fighting squadron.......Dont look for my blessing = you would have been a "deer-in-the-headlights"/full blown "target" applicant is my earnest guess.

Wager's always open..even for little princesses...especially you, great "warrior".

Puhleaze take me up on this little AWA Princess. Show me I'm wrong ;) Consider the proper bragging rights for this forum..and even some slight chance at you ever having the tiniest bit of self respect.

PS: Given that you've little more than 30 degree bank wonders out there...Im not surprised that you might recently imagine yourself as actually "capable", as some semblance of a "pilot" ;) I do understand that your utter lack of any actual war experience might prove distressing, and certainly seems to call for childish BS from you, but? = You're AWA..and ALL you guys are"entitled" =5 grand/let's see ;)

PS: Little Deer in the headlights, it wouldn't actually be "serious"...and no one will actually be shooting...given your own glorious martial history, you should feel right at home.

BTW: Do any of the taxpayers know what money they wasted on your sorry ###? The whole point's to positon utterly serious , and competently trained killers between the bad guys and the home front..and you just don't seem that terrifying. In fairness? = I'll venture a guess that you bailed from USN service as early as possible, and AWA's now your "big thing"....you have my moral sympathy....yeah/well/etc. ;)

Ya' know bozo? Screw you..perhaps that's all your "service" meant to you, given that you seemingly extoll the "virtue" of having never seen combat, and I'm fully glad that I never had the burden of some worthless/chickenshit-jackass like you in in my squadron. The next time you wish to beat your pathetically small chest, how about offerring up ANYTHING that YOU have actually done?.. I could give a rat's arse about your "classmates" you little princess. Given the "never been shot at" = you're now trying to magically grow a pair only in cybersapce?, by way of some stupid chat board?, or..it just goes with politically correct BS? Sigh..you "new generation" pretty much just disgust me. There were ways for a Man to find his way into a fighting squadron.......

Wager's always open..even for little princesses...especially you, great "warrior" ;)

Puhleaze take me up on this Princess ;)
LOL/Funny is your reply/answer Mr. EastUS. Maybe you have worked/flown too much/mucho this week/days. And it's time/moment that you/yourself take a break/away from this message board/web board because you/yourself is making a fool/funny or yourself/you!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go fishing/hunting or do what you do to relax/cooldown so you can refuel/recharge your batteries... hahaha :rolleyes:

LOL/Funny is your reply/answer Mr. EastUS. Maybe you have worked/flown too much/mucho this week/days. And it's time/moment that you/yourself take a break/away from this message board/web board because you/yourself is making a fool/funny or yourself/you!!!

Go fishing/hunting or do what you do to relax/cooldown so you can refuel/recharge your batteries... hahaha :rolleyes:

Ummm..sorry..my maid/gibberish translatoi's already gone for the night. Ummmm..should I close with some "hahaha" to make even the most hopelessly moronic of AWA guests more comfortable? ;)....or; should I stick to english speakers?...Given that AWA requires zero education? = A dillema in truth ;)

Tell you guys what = just take a Beavis and Butthead laugh track, and repeat it indefinately, instead of attempting actual typing next time, much less any attempt at actual thought,....You'll have pretty much the same effect, whilst saving yourselves some time = Huh huh...huh huh///etc" I'll not be so bold as to issue any notion as per learning english, nor actual logical processing/'thought....just stick with "hun huh....huh huh...etc" ;) There is actually a reaon that you hopeless morons choose to live in a freakin' desert ;) = Darwin.

PS: Please consider that in jest = 'tis clear the it's closing time out west, and any/all can be full of frolic...especially in the desert ;) Sigh..it's a pity that we're still fighting this "east/west" thing.

Take Care/Have a Good Evening..Ummm..excuse me? = Was that too tired/formal/etc for a closing?...Sigh...you guys have fun then...'tis what's the best part of life's about. ;)
"Go fishing/hunting or do what you do to relax/cooldown so you can refuel/recharge your batteries... hahaha"

Whooping a few of your sorry AWA punks, oops, I mean "pilots" would be an enjoyable day's light exercise. I'm really trying to unwind here..but none of you have the guts for even a day's amusement ;) Sigh..you're right = perhaps I should just go fishing....said fish would put up a far better fight, and they wouldn't shirk wagers dependant, apparently on Mommy's approval, as do AWA "pilots" ;) Come on..even you westies, especially the womenfolk, must have gotten fully sick of challenges issued without any response from your alleged "men" ;)This isn't any issue of rocket science..it's more of spine and ability.....so?...Allready?....Eventually?....Maybe?....Oh: I forgot = there's no arbitrator protecting them..sigh..what was I thinking? Curiousity only = How do your AWA "men" pass off their utter reluctance to prove any semblance of aerial ability? Is it the "I can't afford five grand!", in which case, I'll adjust the stakes for the poor and downtrodden. I guess what I've long been confused by is WHY any bunch of low time/hired by scabs INC/never done much of anything bozos feel so "entitled"? It certainly isn't like ANY of these guys would impress me on the street/any airport/etc...so...where TF do they get off with any claims to ANYTHING?..because they took a job with the vilest, hire anybody "airline"
around?. I'm just truly confused here, and I've yet to meet any AWA sort that has either 1)Brains, and or 2)Balls enough to even begin any conversation. Seriously Ladies, don't you think that your "men" should shut me up? ;)

Wager's always open puppy dogs.

Sigh...Guess I'll go with the fishing.

EastUS:
A reminder to stay with the topic. What you posted was a borderline threat. Threats will get you time off without warning......now get some rest.

How do your AWA "men" pass off their utter reluctance to prove any semblance of aerial ability? Is it the "I can't afford five grand!
He earns more than you.
Seriously Ladies, don't you think that your "men" should shut me up?
Why? It's much too amusing watching you bluster, bumble and fumble around on this board. Not only does he likely have more hours and experience than you, he can write a coherent statement. He can even argue without resorting to name calling and whining. Too bad your wife can't say the same. In spite of having serious disagreements with some East pilots about the seniority arbitration he is always, always, always professional and courteous. You should try it some time.

Quote:
"The sad thing about it is even with this relief we fell back into bankruptcy 18 months later."

Such horse----, 2nd time was a setup to to get us on the "merger" track. Lakefield did his job beautifully in acquiring AWA.

Just look at our seat costs now 16 cents a mile , highest in the industry. yeah right, they needed concessions like we need ALPO. Equal pay for equal work !!!!!

:angry:

You're hardly one of them...What's your point? = Delusions of personal sacrifice by way of corporate association?...Spare me/us.

AWA320:"Well stated Prechilli. I think that EastUS owes an apology at a bare minimum!

Neither are you anyone who felt any qualms about not serving his country AWA, and, as naturally agrieved and sorrowful as I am at ever offering you any offence; I'm still awaiting the righteous onslaught of your personal lawsuit :lol: As for apologies?: It surprises me little that you feel "entitled" to something/anything/everything for doing absoulutely nothing though. You're fully right in not holding your breath for any "apology"...You claim to have zillions already from East crews whilst you were infesting their jump seats..I'm still laughing over that.

Back to the thread point, with the briefest summation possible = Alpa's a proven loser. It's fully, and simply time for a change.

You dont' know what the hell I've done!!! Like I said, you owe an apology EastUS now be a man about it and just do it!!!

EastUS,

We've got some great guys and gals out west and I'm sure you'll enjoy flying with us. Hopefully all this anger and vitriol will pass with time. Seriously though, what's up with the hateful attitude? You caught some bad breaks and we all sympathize with your past. Why not pick up the pieces and try to enjoy the years you have left? Sounds like you need a vacation...

Given that AWA requires zero education? = A dillema in truth ;)

My friend, you certainly are one class act. I love the "zero education" comment immediately preceeding your incorrect spelling of "dilemma". Oh, you are funny! And I mean that sincerely, with the utmost respect!
And by the way, no response is necessary partner.

Ummm..sorry..my maid/gibberish translatoi's already gone for the night. Ummmm..should I close with some "hahaha" to make even the most hopelessly moronic of AWA guests more comfortable? ;)....or; should I stick to english speakers?...Given that AWA requires zero education? = A dillema in truth ;)

Tell you guys what = just take a Beavis and Butthead laugh track, and repeat it indefinately, instead of attempting actual typing next time, much less any attempt at actual thought,....You'll have pretty much the same effect, whilst saving yourselves some time = Huh huh...huh huh///etc" I'll not be so bold as to issue any notion as per learning english, nor actual logical processing/'thought....just stick with "hun huh....huh huh...etc" ;) There is actually a reaon that you hopeless morons choose to live in a freakin' desert ;) = Darwin.

PS: Please consider that in jest = 'tis clear the it's closing time out west, and any/all can be full of frolic...especially in the desert ;) Sigh..it's a pity that we're still fighting this "east/west" thing.

Take Care/Have a Good Evening..Ummm..excuse me? = Was that too tired/formal/etc for a closing?...Sigh...you guys have fun then...'tis what's the best part of life's about. ;)
"Go fishing/hunting or do what you do to relax/cooldown so you can refuel/recharge your batteries... hahaha"

Whooping a few of your sorry AWA punks, oops, I mean "pilots" would be an enjoyable day's light exercise. I'm really trying to unwind here..but none of you have the guts for even a day's amusement ;) Sigh..you're right = perhaps I should just go fishing....said fish would put up a far better fight, and they wouldn't shirk wagers dependant, apparently on Mommy's approval, as do AWA "pilots" ;) Come on..even you westies, especially the womenfolk, must have gotten fully sick of challenges issued without any response from your alleged "men" ;)This isn't any issue of rocket science..it's more of spine and ability.....so?...Allready?....Eventually?....Maybe?....Oh: I forgot = there's no arbitrator protecting them..sigh..what was I thinking? Curiousity only = How do your AWA "men" pass off their utter reluctance to prove any semblance of aerial ability? Is it the "I can't afford five grand!", in which case, I'll adjust the stakes for the poor and downtrodden. I guess what I've long been confused by is WHY any bunch of low time/hired by scabs INC/never done much of anything bozos feel so "entitled"? It certainly isn't like ANY of these guys would impress me on the street/any airport/etc...so...where TF do they get off with any claims to ANYTHING?..because they took a job with the vilest, hire anybody "airline"
around?. I'm just truly confused here, and I've yet to meet any AWA sort that has either 1)Brains, and or 2)Balls enough to even begin any conversation. Seriously Ladies, don't you think that your "men" should shut me up? ;)

Wager's always open puppy dogs.

Sigh...Guess I'll go with the fishing.

Wow! Now that post is probably the funniest display of self-inflicted public humiliation I have witnessed in quite a while. Way to go East!

Wow! Now that post is probably the funniest display of self-inflicted public humiliation I have witnessed in quite a while. Way to go East!

guys we seriously need to stop fighting!! It's been two years since the merger was consumated and the company made 500,000,000 in profits last year and is likely to post a huge profit tomorrow. We ALL deserve a much needed raise. The arbitration is the arbitration. Period. Some of us may think it was the worst travesty since the inception of the airline business but it cannot and will not be modified. Working under LOA 93 indefinitely just to spite the west does NOT help the east. Unless you feel some sort of vindication. Lets start taking care of our families here and get a contract that puts fo pay above LOA 93 captain pay and then nobody will be left with the short end of the stick. We all deserve better retirement, pay, work rules, and vacation. So lets go get it...

This infighting gets us absolutely nowhere. Sure the west has a few idiots/assholes/whatever as does the east. It's irrelevent to our current issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back